Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:07 PM
tburke
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment question

I am participating in a HP driving school this weekend at VIR. This is the first time with my 96 Vette. After looking through this forum, I decided to get a alignment with neg. camber. I was hoping for around 1.0 in the front and 1.4 in the rear. I took it to our local shop. He set the rear to 1.4. But when he got to the front he said one side had all the shims out and was a +0.5. So he set the other side to match. So, no neg camber in the front. He left the rear with 1.5 neg. camber.
My question, will this work? This is my third time to the track. But the first in a Corvette. So, I like to feel, that I am fairly fast and improving. I just do not want a dangerous setup.
Any help will be appreciated!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not worry about this alignment being "dangerous", it will simply not have the potential cornering ability as if you had some negative camber in the front. You will notice in particular that corner entry is not as crisp or secure.

Also, depending on the tires you are using, you could have very "rounded" outside shoulders by the time the event is over.

Long-term, we would certainly determine WHY one of the front corners can not be set to at least SOME negative camber.

Ed LoPresti
Old 09-29-2010, 08:26 PM
tburke
Heel & Toe

Thanks Ed,

I figured more traction at the rear can not be a bad thing. I am running Falken Azenis Rt615's. They seem to be a fairly sticky tire. I will do more research before the next event to try and achieve more neg. camber on the front.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 PM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default VIR this Weekend

This is interesting. Which one was +camber? On vir, most turns end up right so if I could get any neg camber in the right or really in either side I would do it, but I would not loose sleep over it in this case.

SO be sure to tell your instructor. If this is your first event, it probably won't matter, but I'll be there this weekend and will give a quick look. Should be making nice HP with the cool weather. I'm very excited.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:34 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some c4s have washer type spacers as well as removable shims. The washer type have two different thickness, eventually you will want to make that you have the thin ones installed which will allow more negative camber. They can be replaced with flat washers for more negative camber.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:40 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Until I rebuilt my front suspension +.5 was about all the camber I could get on the 92.
Once I replaced all the bushings and ball joints I can get to 0 (thats a zero)

You will be fine for your HPDE with whatever you can get.

I had the set the rear to -1 and it seems to be fine. A little oversteer depending on which tires I have on. I will play with air pressure to get it almost neutral. For VIR its kind of important out of oak tree, hog pen and turn 1.

Good Luck! Its great to see another C4 out on the track.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:54 PM
tburke
Heel & Toe

It sounds like I will be alright. I will be driving the Red 96 with chrome wheels.
I am looking forward to this weekend!!!

Get notified of new replies

To alignment question

Quick Reply: alignment question