Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCCAR with NASA my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NCCAR with NASA my thoughts

So I ran NCCAR the first time with NASA last weekend. I was quite excited to have a track about an hour from the house. They have a rock covered paddock area with power hookup around the edges ... They were asking 30$ a weekend to use the power. Restrooms with running water are in the main building ... maybe a 5 min walk from the furthest point in the paddock. There are porta potties in the paddock as well as the ole woods if ya are so inclined.

For the track ..... I can say "different" . One thing to remember is this track was developed for consumer vehicle R&D this is not a race track and surface is your typical passenger car road with no gators in the corners. Key here is how fast you can get to the corner... there is a max speed in these long corners which will exit to another corner kinda fun but be prepared for max g at all times. I was pulling my harness tighter a few more times on this course throughout the sessions. All in all a fun course that sharpens another different edge of your driving skill ...

Old 09-29-2010, 05:05 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last weekend was the second time I have run there. Both times with NASA-SE and enjoyed both times. It is a different kind of track having been build for testing but for DE groups it is a fun track.

From what I have heard is that a timing tower is in the near future and some more track surface to have up to a 4 plus mile track. TT will be able to run there but no racing is planned.

I will go back again next year. I think that I am starting to find a line I can drive. This track does give you lots of different ways around it.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:19 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by beerkat
Last weekend was the second time I have run there. Both times with NASA-SE and enjoyed both times. It is a different kind of track having been build for testing but for DE groups it is a fun track.

From what I have heard is that a timing tower is in the near future and some more track surface to have up to a 4 plus mile track. TT will be able to run there but no racing is planned.

I will go back again next year. I think that I am starting to find a line I can drive. This track does give you lots of different ways around it.
Did not know they had planned for expansion ... will be cool to see what they come up with ... Your right about the line ... Only time I saw a line was when we dried it out after the rain storm :-) I tried multiple lines as well may try going back next year as well ...
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by beerkat
...This track does give you lots of different ways around it.
Amen to that. I don't think I drove 2 laps the same. (Don't tell Varkwso).

The pit out is sort of nonexistent since it is primarily a test facility. One can have trouble staying right to avoid a car coming on track and making good time around 1 by getting back left. But loads of fun nonetheless.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:49 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing about the track is it is designed to be run in either direction.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:54 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by southern_son
Amen to that. I don't think I drove 2 laps the same. (Don't tell Varkwso).

How is that different from any other track?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
How is that different from any other track?
I just don't like wearing out any one particular spot on the track.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Just from the overhead shot, it appears there are a few spots where an off could potentially have you sliding into another part of the course, is that so?

I'm saying this w/out a close-up or any knowledge of the terrain between the areas...I can't really make out any barriers...
Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

The barriers don't show up on the overhead picture.
Terrain also plays a big part in the safety.
All in all its a very safe track for HPDE.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

yes ... that is an old photo ... I think it was soon after the track was paved ... one from overhead now would show many more barriers and another pit out road..
Old 10-09-2010, 10:20 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Guys give some thought to joining me at CMP OCt 23,24th. I know the guys putting on that event, and they are good guys and promise a lot of track time for 399. Tracksunlimited is the website. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To NCCAR with NASA my thoughts

Quick Reply: NCCAR with NASA my thoughts