Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold Greenwood Spirit of Sebring 75

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw Greenwood race at Daytona back then. I was working as a pit steward for a few years during the 24 hour races and the Paul Revere 250 race around the 4th of July.

I'll never forget one year they were interviewing him over the loud speaker and he said he was going to take it easy for most of the race. He said his goal was to not get more than 10 laps down then with 6 hours to go he was going to turn up the heat and go for the win. When the green flag waived he went out ahead of the field like there was no tomorrow. By lap 10 he was in with a blown radiator hose. They fixed it and not long after that he blew another one off. They finally got it going for a while but the engine expired by the 6 hour mark. Hope my memory is getting this right.

While he ran it was the most awesome sight I've ever seen. The car literally went around the high bank in a drift with the rear end hanging out. When he hit the back straight it would shoot off the bank like a rocket.

And yes this was pre bus stop years.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sundiego
racerods@yahoo.com

That's Lance Smith's email. He knows more about the cars than anyone whose name isn't Greenwood or Fornier. He's always happy to help.
Thanks for the contact. I'll give him a shout.

I too was in the garages when they unloaded your old car. The worksmanship on the radiator ducting was what impressed me most and those cross rams

I can see why it would be a bull in a china shop at a small track. A restored or replicated C-2 race car would just as fun at Lime Rock or Roebling Rd.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Locke
Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A sad congratulations Dave.
They sure are fun while you have them.

Quick Reply: Sold Greenwood Spirit of Sebring 75