Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 12:02 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

CORVETTE RACING QUALIFIES 4TH AND 6TH AT LONG BEACH

(LONG BEACH, Calif., April 19, 2013) – Jan Magnussen, driver of the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R, qualified fourth (1:19.047 secs.) in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) GT Class at Long Beach. Tommy Milner, who won his first ALMS race at this event last year, qualified sixth (1:19.083) in the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R on the 1.968-mile, 11-turn Long Beach Street Circuit.

“We definitely made some good improvements between practice and qualifying,” Magnussen said. “It’s always hard here because there’s such a long time between the two sessions, so you really have to think about how the track is going to develop, so I think we made some good choices. We’ll go back and look at some old data and fine-tune a little bit, but overall, I’d be happy to race this car.”

Magnussen added that the No. Corvette C6.R experienced a minor problem during practice, but it was fixed before qualifying.

“We had a small issue shifting this morning. Fixed. All gone,” Magnussen said. “I’m really looking forward to tomorrow.”

Magnussen will team with Antonio Garcia for tomorrow’s race.

Milner will again team with Oliver Gavin. The two won the 2012 ALMS drivers’ championship, and opened the 2013 season with a victory at Sebring last month.

“Obviously, it’s super, super close, as it always is in GT,” Milner said. “So, the position doesn’t sound great; sixth is not what I was hoping for, but it was only two-tenths off the pole. That’s pretty close.

“Obviously, I’d love to get a win here again, like I did last year, my first win in ALMS, but at the end of the day is the championship and finishing the race and keeping the nose of the car clean, give it to Oliver and let him work his magic like he did last year.”

Corvette Racing has 78 ALMS class victories, including four in 2012, making it the most successful team in American Le Mans Series history.

The Tequila Patron American Le Mans Series at Long Beach starts at 4:30 p.m. Pacific time on Saturday, April 20.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:08 PM
68strat
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Corvette with 78 ALMS class victories wow I had no idea.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 747 Likes on 430 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

DVR is set to record!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

No thanks to the huge spoiler on the front page of this website. Guess I don't need to watch now.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:58 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

what has been posted was qualifying not the race results. So, go ahead and watch your race!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Front page of the website:

"Corvette Racing Finishes 4th and 5th at ALMS Long Beach"
Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Never saw that one. When I post I use Spoiler alert in the main racing section, and then wait about a week before posting in this section. I would still watch it just to see and hear Johnny O!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

ALMS UPDATE FOR 2013+

this season:

Leader lights are still bust. Company the supplied leader light system went out of business. Higher ups still searching for replacement. Doug said its ridiculous, everyone wants it, but its caught in red tape

All manufacturers in GT are less than thrilled about the new BMW's. They said they all (manufacturers involved) accepted the z4/v8 platform, but were not prepared for this radically modified/bodied z4. No one is happy, and letters are sent/received.

C7R

Chassis done just about...engine/wiring starting.

Testing to begin in july

Color will be yellow based. Doug said they "own" yellow, are the only yellow car out there and it is just synonomous with the corvette team

No c7R at any of this yrs races....not to test, not to view

C7R will have special scheme for daytona race...and Doug said its juicy! He didnt use that word but...he rubbed his hands together and said he cant wait

C7R will run CURRENT ENGINE in 2014. Doug said that with the new series, they know what the performance figures currently are to keep the BOP in order. Additionally, he said they (united sports) are concerned about all the new corvette technology hitting the scene and that just the new chassis alone has other people concerned. He said trying to shove LT1 down their throat is just too much at once.

Gt class will remain unchanged for next yr....no aero changes, weights, nothing.

With DP's and GT's in same series...what happens to the teams that share current drivers? They dont know yet...

How is the C7 better than C6 where the racecar is concerned?

Way stiffer chassis
Much better airflow over the roof and down backside
Though c7 production car has split tanks, the chassis was designed to give the race team room for one tank...now fueling times are faster than any car out there (though alms will likely put in fueling restrictor as a result)
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 AM
peterpiper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some photos from the Long Beach ALMS event... If you haven't watched your video yet, you should be safe. I don't recall any spoiler photos here...

http://www.augustdigital.com/gplb2013

I have links to Qualifying photos, Racing Pits, the Race, and a video of Corvette Racing changing drivers and Tires. (and other stuff, too.)

-pp
Old 04-30-2013, 03:43 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

WIN A 2014 CORVETTE! https://www.racetowincorvette.com/:b=ie8/#/intro

2013 American Le Mans Monterey Presented by Patrón

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, California, USA
May 9 - 11, 2013

Tune-in Details:

Live Qualifying:
5/10/2013 at 6:45 pm CDT on ESPN 3

Live Streaming:
5/11/2013 at 5:15 pm CDT on ESPN 3

Television Broadcast:
5/12/2013 at 3:00 pm CDT on ESPN 2

LIVE TIMING:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2003/lt/ltc.html

http://scoring.alms.com/

Live Timing for mobile device:
http://scoring.alms.com/mobile.html

SEBRING PIT NOTES:
http://twitter.com/almsnotes

http://www.alms.com/races/tequila-pa...s-long-beach-1

RADIO ALMS
http://www.americanlemans.com/

Live onboard cameras:
http://www.alms.com/camera/live-audio-broadcast

TICKET INFO:
http://www.mazdaraceway.com/get-tick...esented-patron

Entry List:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2013/event...LS%20Entry.pdf

Spotters Guide:
http://www.spotterguides.com/

Corvette Corral:
Not posted yet

Event Schedule:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2013/event...upp%20Regs.pdf

Map:
http://www.mazdaraceway.com/track-map-racing-lines

WEATHER:
http://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Raci...a-Circuit.aspx

Corvette Racing Banquet:
http://corvettemuseum.com/registrati...hamp2013.shtml
Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

2014 Corvette Stingray to Pace 97th Indianapolis 500

INDIANAPOLIS – The all-new, seventh-generation 2014 Corvette Stingray will serve as the Indianapolis 500 Pace Car, leading the field to green at the start of the 97th running of “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing,” on Sunday, May 26, at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

It marks a record 12th time the Corvette has served as the Pace Car, starting in 1978.

“It is an honor to help inaugurate the all-new Corvette Stingray at the hallowed Brickyard and further the legacy between Chevrolet and the Indianapolis 500,” said Jim Campbell, GM vice president of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. “The 2014 Corvette Stingray’s performance was influenced by racing, making this prestigious assignment even more fitting.”

Along with Chevrolet’s return in 2012 as an engine supplier, the Corvette Stingray Pace Car extends a legacy at the Brickyard that dates to the racetrack’s early days.

“Chevrolet is a great partner of the Speedway,” said Jeff Belskus, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corporation president and chief executive officer. “That connection is heightened this year with the next-generation Corvette in front of a very talented field of racers.”

Decked out in Laguna Blue Tintcoat with official Indianapolis 500 graphics on the doors, the Corvette Stingray Pace Car differs from production models with only track-mandated safety features and strobe lights. No powertrain upgrades are required to run in front of the IndyCar pack, thanks to its all-new 6.2L LT1 engine, which features advanced technologies including direct fuel injection, continuously variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation). They help produce an estimated 450 horsepower more efficiently.

The 2014 Corvette Stingray coupe goes on sale this fall, with a convertible model – featuring a fully electronic top that can be operated remotely with the key fob – coming a few months later. Vehicle highlights include:

An interior that offers genuine carbon fiber and aluminum trim, hand-wrapped leather materials, dual eight-inch configurable driver/infotainment screens, and two new seat choices – each featuring a lightweight magnesium frame for exceptional support
Advanced driver technologies, including a five-position Drive Mode Selector that tailors 12 vehicle attributes to fit the driver’s environment and a new seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching that anticipates gear selections and matches engine speed for perfect shifts every time
Lightweight materials, including a carbon fiber hood and removable carbon fiber roof panel on coupes; composite fenders, doors and rear quarter panels; carbon-nano composite underbody panels and a new aluminum frame help shift weight rearward for an optimal 50/50 weight balance that supports a world-class power-to-weight ratio
A sculpted exterior featuring advanced high-intensity discharge and light-emitting diode lighting and racing-proven aerodynamics that balance low drag for efficiency and performance elements for improved stability and track capability
Track-oriented Z51 Performance Package, including an electronic limited-slip differential; dry-sump oiling system; integral brake, differential and transmission cooling; as well as a unique aero package that further improves high-speed stability.
The Corvette Pace Car features the track-capable Z51 package.

Chevrolet and the Indianapolis 500

Chevrolet has a long shared history with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the Indianapolis 500 and the IZOD IndyCar Series. Chevrolet was founded in 1911, the year of the inaugural 500-mile race, and the Chevrolet brothers – company co-founder Louis, Arthur and Gaston – all competed in early Indy 500 races. Arthur Chevrolet competed in the 1911 race and Gaston Chevrolet won it in 1920.

Chevrolet competed in Indy-style competition as an engine manufacturer in 1986-93 and 2002-05 with V-8 engines, and returned in 2012 with the Chevrolet IndyCar twin-turbo V-6 engine with direct injection. In that time, Chevrolet won 118 IndyCar races, powered seven driver series champions and scored seven Indianapolis 500 victories.

2013 marks the 24th time a Chevrolet has served as the official Pace Car of the Indianapolis 500, more than any other brand, dating to 1948 with a Chevrolet Fleetmaster. Camaro has served in the role seven times and, with this year’s running, Corvette has led the way a record 12 times.

Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

# # #

jpeg:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...52351925_n.jpg
Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 381 Likes on 326 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Will Speed air the Le Mans 24 again?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Will Speed air the Le Mans 24 again?
Yes. John Dagys think it will cover 23.5 hours of the race.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:03 AM
3musky3
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

will there be a live in car feed again this year at lemans?
really enjoyed that last year managed to watch @ 20 hrs.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Target Le Mans: Corvette Racing Ready for Test Day

First steps toward eighth victory in world’s greatest endurance race

LE MANS, France (June 6, 2013) – With seven class victories in the Le Mans 24 Hours since 2001, Corvette Racing is an established force at the world’s greatest endurance race. The drive for an eighth championship begins this weekend with the two Compuware Corvette C6.Rs taking part in the annual Test Day at the 8.5-mile Circuit de la Sarthe on Sunday (June 9).

The eight-hour session is as critical as ever for the No. 73 and No. 74 entries. This serves as the first chance to verify settings and engineering the team established since the 2012 race.

“As is our standard practice, the objective will be to achieve the absolute best track setup for all conditions and not necessarily set the fastest lap time,” said Doug Fehan, Corvette Racing Program Manager. “We have learned throughout our time at Le Mans that having a car in which all the drivers are comfortable is far more meaningful than sitting on the pole. Simply put, getting everything right is required for success at Le Mans.”

The test also is key to getting Corvette Racing’s two endurance drivers – Jordan Taylor and Richard Westbrook – reacquainted with their teammates and cars. Neither Taylor nor Westbrook have driven the Corvette since the Sebring 12 Hours in March to open the American Le Mans Series.

“Normally, it only takes a few laps to readjust,” said Westbrook, who will drive the No. 74 Corvette with Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner. “But Le Mans is Le Mans, and it’s a very different track than anything else in the world. Things do take longer there. But I’m not too worried. The last two years I missed the test and it wasn’t too much of a problem. So this year being able to do it is a bonus. More track time is better.”

While Westbrook will contest Le Mans for the fourth time – third with Corvette – the 23-year-old Taylor made his debut in 2012. The magic of Le Mans wasn’t new; he spent his formative years watching his father, Wayne Taylor, compete at the 24 Hours. As was the case a year ago, Taylor teams with Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia who have seven class wins at Le Mans to their credit.

“It will be nice having seat time in a car that you don’t drive that often,” Taylor said. “Taking a couple months off is difficult, but that’s the benefit of the test day. Getting more laps at Le Mans is always a good thing, as is learning from my teammates who all have massive amounts of experience.

“I knew (Le Mans) so well last year having watched the race my whole life that when I got on the track I already knew where I was,” Taylor added. “It was a matter of braking points and how much speed you could carry. The track itself is fun for a driver but for an engineer it’s a little tougher because you have high-speed corners where you need downforce but long straights where you want to take it (the downforce) off. There is definitely an engineering compromise but the Corvette guys do a really job with that and always give us a good car.”

A great car and great strategy netted Corvette Racing a class Victory Lane at Sebring. The Gavin/Milner/Westbrook trio drove from two laps down due to an electrical problem and gave the team a huge endurance boost.

“Sebring was a monkey off our backs,” Westbrook said. “Even though we won the ALMS championship last year, in endurance races we had a bad record. The last two years I’ve been in the No. 74 car, we were leading by more than a lap and failed to finish. So I personally really needed Sebring and I know the crew wanted to prove they could do it not just in a two-hour race but also in a 12-hour race. It’s a massive confidence builder going into Le Mans.”
Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,021 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I believe i saw on SPEED's lineup that there is a GrandAm race taking up part of the afternoon Saturday at MidOhio?

As long as its during the LeMans night I'm fine with it.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Yes, but it is this weekend:
http://www.grand-am.com/events.aspx?eid=3479&sid=1

Get notified of new replies

To ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:47 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

OLIVER GAVIN’S A-Z OF LE MANS

A...American Le Mans Series, our racing home from home.

B...Brian Hoye, my crew chief who keeps everyone on the No.4 car on the straight and narrow!

C...Corvette Racing, this year going for an 8th class win, and the great, race-winning C6.R.

D...determination, dedication and devotion to duty...the watchwords for the whole team.

E...stands for engineers and engineering – Doug Louth, Chuck Houghton and Kyle Millay step forward. Oh, and endurance, the best type of racing in the world.

F...Fehan, the boss, he who must be obeyed, our greatest advocate and critic!!

G...great GT competition from Aston Martin, Ferrari, Porsche and Viper. Let the battles begin.

H...Helen, my wife, without whose support I would be lost. My family come to Le Mans each year to cheer me on which means a lot to me.

I...there’s no ‘i’ in team - no one person is responsible for success (or failure), it’s a team effort.

J...for June – the annual pilgrimage to France for the world’s biggest sportscar race.

K...knowledge. A London cab driver has to pass ‘The Knowledge’ exam before he is licensed to take passengers. I believe a driver needs several years to acquire enough Le Mans knowledge to successfully deal with the event, on track and off.

L...long! The track, the week, the race…every year you find new and improved ways to cope (see above about needing several years to acquire said knowledge).

M...magical, mythical, massive, memorable, marathon, mind-blowing…so many ways to describe the 24 Hours.

N...night. Some drivers hate it but I love it – it’s cooler, the field is usually spread out a little more, and you can get into a good rhythm for 2-3 hours. Compared to Daytona, the hours of complete darkness at Le Mans are relatively short.

O...optimum preparation necessary to succeed in endurance racing.

P...pressure; you can either embrace it or be swallowed up by it. And Pratt, Gary and Robin; Corvette Racing wouldn’t be the team it is without them.

Q...is for qualifying. Those pole position trophies are impressive, but not sure we’ll get one this year as the Astons seem very fast…

R...is for PR! We said goodbye at the beginning of the year to our esteemed, long-time media guru, Rick Voegelin, and now welcome the newest member of the team, Ryan Smith.

S... Slick tyres. If it’s a dry race we will use about 14 sets of tyres and, following the test weekend, we ALL want a dry race.

T...is for Tommy [Milner] and Tan Man, otherwise known as Richard Westbrook, my team mates.

U...unending and universal. The week at Le Mans can sometimes feel unending but that’s overshadowed by the fact that it’s universally followed: 250,000 spectators, over 2000 media, hundreds of millions of TV viewers.

V...Vingt-Quatre Heures du Mans. The reason we all go sports car racing.

W...Winning, especially at the big events. We’ve conquered Petit Le Mans and Sebring in the last few years, now it’s time for Le Mans to come the way of the No.4 again. It’s been too long since our last victory (2006).

X...is for X-factor. No one element makes a successful team; it’s a combination of the car, the drivers, the engine, the tires, the team, and that X-factor...usually provided by Lady Luck.

Y...youth, combined with experience and expertise; Corvette’s driver line up to the letter.

Z...Zzzzzz. Sleep; what everyone becomes obsessed with at Le Mans. Our Corvette Racing compound in the paddock is where the drivers sleep, eat and relax for the week.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:44 PM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COR123
Are you going to post the viewing information on the 24 Hours of Lemans like you posted for Laguna Seca (post 230)
Old 06-18-2013, 04:57 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cebars
COR123
Are you going to post the viewing information on the 24 Hours of Lemans like you posted for Laguna Seca (post 230)
Yes. Project for tomorrow!

Quick Reply: ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!