Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on Ford F250 Diesel (tow vehicle)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
There is nothing stupid about giving us trucks with better towing abilities, regardless of what you deem is 'enough' power.
Ahh, but you miss my point. It's not power that is the limiting factor here. My 1500 with a 350 HP hemi had plenty of power to do the pulling part. It's the stopping and controlling of a load that big that becomes an issue. The reason the trucks now aren't rated that high has very little to do with the motors. There's a reason you need a special license to drive commercial trucks, it's not all about money for the state.

The brakes need to be bigger than your Corvette's wheels to stop that much trailer. Your springs need to be stiff enough to rattle your teeth when the truck is unloaded. And let's see how well we do in the winds cutting across the middle states these days when you have a trailer that weighs 4X as much as the truck that is pulling it along.

I'm about as far from a safety ninny as you can get around here, I've pulled trailers way too fast with way too much weight in them. But you can't win against physics, and tire contact patch is contact patch regardless of how much power you have under the hood.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2011 Denali has huge brakes and an exhaust brake and it stops on a dime.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Ahh, but you miss my point. It's not power that is the limiting factor here. My 1500 with a 350 HP hemi had plenty of power to do the pulling part. It's the stopping and controlling of a load that big that becomes an issue. The reason the trucks now aren't rated that high has very little to do with the motors. There's a reason you need a special license to drive commercial trucks, it's not all about money for the state.

The brakes need to be bigger than your Corvette's wheels to stop that much trailer. Your springs need to be stiff enough to rattle your teeth when the truck is unloaded. And let's see how well we do in the winds cutting across the middle states these days when you have a trailer that weighs 4X as much as the truck that is pulling it along.

I'm about as far from a safety ninny as you can get around here, I've pulled trailers way too fast with way too much weight in them. But you can't win against physics, and tire contact patch is contact patch regardless of how much power you have under the hood.
they can make springs progressive. Tractors can pull more than 4x their weigh now. Brakes on my 30,000 lb GVWR flat bed are not the size of Corvette wheels and they last a long long time. The trucks will pull what they are rated for, stop, and handle. When you pull out of spec of your trailer or tow vehicle you are asking for trouble and shorter service life of all components. Then come the lawyers if you have an accident and you can spent a long time in jail if something bad happens.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob's 73
Did you ditch the DPF filter? I have been waiting to purchase a tuner until after the warranty period. I think it's costs me a gallon of fuel every time it decides to clean the exhaust.
Yes. This tune deletes the DPF.

To replace the DPF at Ford when it plugs up is 2000 bucks. The tune was 1600. No brainer. But then again I did have to get a new 1800 dollar clutch.

So far ive heard the torque converter will hold up.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Deleting emissions components voids your warranty and is illegal. Plus it's nice to have a truck with 765 ft-lbs of torque that doesn't belch black smoke. After 10k miles, the inside of my exhaust is not even black.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Was looking at an 2011 F-450 today. Nice truck The 4.30 rear end and highway mileage gives me a question as to would it still get mid teens on fuel mileage ?
HAVE 2- 2011, F-550 both with service bodys,welders etc. Run better than the 2006-2008 they replaced.
Replacing all early F-250 and 350 because of maintence cost,Injectors($300 each) starters and primary wiring loom problems.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Louis
Great info.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:02 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

contact patch doesn't change with tire, only rig weight or inflation pressure. When braking my truck, I have three of the four axles that have brakes on them, and the engine brakes very well also. I haven't pulled anything 4x the weight of my truck yet, but 2x yeah. I enjoy pulling and that enjoyment is increased by the amount of power that I have at my disposal.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
contact patch doesn't change with tire, only rig weight or inflation pressure. When braking my truck, I have three of the four axles that have brakes on them, and the engine brakes very well also. I haven't pulled anything 4x the weight of my truck yet, but 2x yeah. I enjoy pulling and that enjoyment is increased by the amount of power that I have at my disposal.
I can also suggest a power programmer, that extra HP will help you enjoy your towing experience even more. You seriously don't think there will be a major difference between 2X and 4X your truck's weight? Really?

I know you like to argue so I'm out. Do what you want.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:48 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I can also suggest a power programmer, that extra HP will help you enjoy your towing experience even more. You seriously don't think there will be a major difference between 2X and 4X your truck's weight? Really?

I know you like to argue so I'm out. Do what you want.
lol, sorry, not deliberately 'trying' to argue, I just thought it absurd your suggestion that more power wasn't welcomed by the truck driver.

I have a power programmer already. I also don't recall saying anything remotely resembling a doubt between towing differences in towed weight on the order of 2x vs. 4x. I'm sure there is a difference.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:28 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought a '08 F250 2WD Supercab (has the small rear doors) brand new and it now has 46,500 miles on it. It is my daily driver and tow rig. It took this truck a looonng time to break in. I didn't start seeing decent fuel mileage until I was around 30k miles.

On around town short trips, eg 5 miles, my mileage will hover around 14.5mpg. However, on interstate cruising, I can average well over 18mpg as long as I keep it under 70mph. Anything over 70 and my mileage will drop to 16+.

Towing an open trailer with my 03 Z06, I can get anywhere between 14-16mph keeping it below 70mph, depends on where I am towing (hills or flats). I will say, I LOVE the power of this truck, the BRAKES and the stability.

Diesel Particulate Filter/Regenerative crap: As soon as my warranty runs out at 100k, this system is coming off my truck at 100,001. Anytime this thing kicks in, my mileage drops. I will say the system works for the environment as my truck has rarely had any smoke come out of it. But it kills my mileage when it kicks in.

Besides the coolant overflow bottle recall and a TSB reflash, the only issue I have had with it was the intercooler. The design of the original intercooler would cause condensation to pool in the bottom. So if you were going along in a stead state of cruise (ie freeway driving) and eased into the accelerator, I would get steam from the exhaust pipe and a shuddering through the entire drivetrain. This only occured in humid, hot weather. I found a TSB about the intercooler, had my local dealer change it out to the new design and haven't seen the issue since.

The one other thing that I do not like is the open differential on my 2WD. I can do a one wheel peel for as long as I hold down the pedal. This has almost gottem me stuck in wet grass on more than one occassion.

-Kevin
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin Z
I have an 08 F250 Job 1 with the spartan tune and (the last) 6spd manual. Plainly said, It hauls ***. Did have to get a south bend clutch to hold up to it, But Ive had no powertrain problems.

Only issue ive had is im on my second radiatior. Apperently these things leak like a spring. I think Job 2's got rid of this issue.

With the tune im getting 11 mpg loaded (20,000 GVW)at 75 MPH and up to 22 mpg at the same speed unloaded.

Same issue with the radiator. Pricey replacement. Just weeks over warranty.

Had some cutting-out nonsense. But it wasn't the " Crap In The Tank " recall, just a re-flash of the computers and good to go.

We have four Cummins in 3/4 Service bodies to compare. Those have 300,000 miles. We'll see how the 250 does?

TJM

Quick Reply: Input on Ford F250 Diesel (tow vehicle)