Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM Stand Alone Oil Cooler in C5Z - Street Temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:59 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default DRM Stand Alone Oil Cooler in C5Z - Street Temps

Just installed the DRM kit w/Setrab 625 cooler (track model).

First let me say that the quality of the kit and personal service from Doug @ DRM was first class and a five star experience. He answered many questions upfront, ensure that parts arrived on time, and was available via cell over the weekend during the install (BTW I did not need to call him).

I am posting this to share my observed street temps. Much of the thread history on CF paints the Stand Alone Oil Cooler as a track only app.

I live in S Cal for perspective.

For my use I have found:

- Straight Freeway @ 68 degrees / Oil Temp @ 168 degrees

- Local Streets @ 70 to 80 degrees / Oil Temp @ 185 degrees

- Spirited Street @ 70 to 85 degrees / Oil Temp @ 190 to 215 degrees

Hope the above helps others in their decision between a combo radiator or stand alone approach.

Ed
Old 07-24-2011, 06:54 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about their street/track version oil cooler. I only do half a dozen track events per year and my oil temps have been getting up to 300 degrees at CMP in the summer. Does anyone have experience with the smaller street/track version? If so, what temp drops are you seeing?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I only know of 1 stand alone cooler from DRM--it's pretty small. I think it sells for $625.

Ed,

I wholly agree with you. The DRM cooler is great, definitely the way to go even for a street car. It's by far the best option for cooling and for cost. You can make that 168F temp go up to 195 by making yourself some covers and strapping them over the SETRAB. I use a cardboard slab with duct tape and then header wrap and then styrofoam on the intake side to really insulate.

Dan,

I'd definitely recommend a cooler in your situation. 300 is too high IMHO. It gets no higher than 270F on the hottest day of the year, run hard. Water temp is another story--I need to start running distilled water +wetter; not 50/50.

Last edited by sothpaw2; 07-24-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I only know of 1 stand alone cooler from DRM--it's pretty small. I think it sells for $625.

Ed,

I wholly agree with you. The DRM cooler is great, definitely the way to go even for a street car. It's by far the best option for cooling and for cost. You can make that 168F temp go up to 195 by making yourself some covers and strapping them over the SETRAB. I use a cardboard slab with duct tape and then header wrap and then styrofoam on the intake side to really insulate.

Dan,

I'd definitely recommend a cooler in your situation. 300 is too high IMHO. It gets no higher than 270F on the hottest day of the year, run hard. Water temp is another story--I need to start running distilled water +wetter; not 50/50.
They do offer two options, the 619 street / track model (19 rows ??) and the 625 track model (+$50 & 25 rows I think).

My temps with the track version are within my acceptable range as I will have no issue getting to 190+ consistently with the temps in S Cal and my style usage.

Sothpaw, Thanks on the tips for a cover if desired at some point.

Ed
Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I also have the DRM oil cooler - my street temps in the summer run in the 180 - 200 range depending on ambient temperature. My biggest problem is in the winter was getting the temp up at all. It is a pita getting under the car to install a cover on the cooler. I installed a Mocal thermostat in the line that is set to 150 deg. It bypasses the cooler 90% until the temp rises and then gradually opens to avoid thermal shock. Anyone driving a car with a separate cooler in winter conditions should strongly consider the thermostat.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:45 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I also have the DRM oil cooler - my street temps in the summer run in the 180 - 200 range depending on ambient temperature. My biggest problem is in the winter was getting the temp up at all. It is a pita getting under the car to install a cover on the cooler. I installed a Mocal thermostat in the line that is set to 150 deg. It bypasses the cooler 90% until the temp rises and then gradually opens to avoid thermal shock. Anyone driving a car with a separate cooler in winter conditions should strongly consider the thermostat.
That makes sense for cool winter climates. In S Cal we will see a low of high 50's when raining or mid 60's when clear.

I was told a simple application of tin foil with your hands will work if you are looking for higher street temps

Ed
Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Denver. I have no problem getting the oil to 170s on 30 degree days. I did not drive it when it was much colder, so I do not have that data. I just duct taped cardboard over the cooler. It took about 5 minutes using ramps. I have a Mocal that is the same size as the track version from DRM (7 x 13").

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Stand Alone Oil Cooler in C5Z - Street Temps

Quick Reply: DRM Stand Alone Oil Cooler in C5Z - Street Temps