Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ouch...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ouch...

Anyone know when this took place?
Hope nobody was hurt.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I remember it being posted here on the forum

but I've been here a while
Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

2005 at Road America

http://www.pbase.com/atrltd/bric2005
Old 08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Kinda resembles the T1 race there last year.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember seeing those photos but don't remember if it was ever said how it happened. Which car caused it?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from the website.

"In my opinion, the BRIC incident was the "perfect storm" of which at least 3 things took place that contributed to the accident. 1)The Start was too fast. I came around corner 14 onto the front straight (going "pace lap" speed), and the front 7 rows were "on the gas" already. 2) Some cars were "out of line" (pun). 3) The Starter failed to give the Green Flag, probably due to his seeing the "out of line" cars."
Old 08-01-2011, 02:43 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I just got back from the 2011 BRIC.....altho it's now called the KIC (Kohler International Challenge WITH Brian Redman). There is a new sanctioning organization now SVRA. There was a HUGE entry of over 450 cars and the Group 6 race was very fast, but I'm pleased to say there was no BIG one this year, and the general level of racing was quite professional.......although there were a few offs.
This is an amazing event, comparable to Monterey, so If you haven't been, you ought to plan to go. The in-town concourso events on Friday and Saturday are not to be missed either.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 08-01-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:42 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Garrett, why didn't you run? I saw your car there but not out in Grp6, did you ask to be put in another class?? It was a great weekend even with the heat!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:42 PM
bjm
Pro

Originally Posted by 95jersey
from the website.

"In my opinion, the BRIC incident was the "perfect storm" of which at least 3 things took place that contributed to the accident. 1)The Start was too fast. I came around corner 14 onto the front straight (going "pace lap" speed), and the front 7 rows were "on the gas" already. 2) Some cars were "out of line" (pun). 3) The Starter failed to give the Green Flag, probably due to his seeing the "out of line" cars."
That is basically what happened withour really getting into it!! No one seriously hurt, broken arm and finger and that was it!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bjm
That is basically what happened withour really getting into it!! No one seriously hurt, broken arm and finger and that was it!
But there was some real expensive carnage. Didn't a AC Cobra get wadded up?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:31 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bjm
Garrett, why didn't you run? I saw your car there but not out in Grp6, did you ask to be put in another class?? It was a great weekend even with the heat!!!
OK the short answer is that we did run.........on Thursday for 3 sessions. BUT, I broke the transmission......again Sorry.
I have a virtually "stock" 63 Z06, and the competition director and the chief scrutineer both decided that I would have more fun and be more competitive in Group 3. Unsaid was that I would more likely survive
Go anyway! I promise that I'll try to do better next time
Garrett

"Didn't a AC Cobra get wadded up?"
Yep, Carl Shiffmyer's REAL comp Cobra got hurt, but way more important is that Carl did too (Tho he's OK now), and that Bill and Brian Morrison were also in the pileup and were nearly hurt too (cars on top of them).

Last edited by 63Corvette; 08-01-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:46 PM
bjm
Pro

Yes, that was what I thought! The right call too! You should have come down and ask to borrow a trans, I am sure someone had a spare one hanging around. Did Duntov bring the car up? Its about having fun so no worries, although racing is more fun than just hanging around!!

Karl was hurt, broken finger, and his Cobra was hurt as well but it was not a Comp car and sadly Karl is no longer with us!

We luckily both made it out alive, as did both cars, but it was a bad deal!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I just got back from the 2011 BRIC..... There is a new sanctioning organization now SVRA.
Garrett, for 2011 the SVRA no longer sanctions the event Road America runs the show now. as the person who was third on the grid of 58 cars in`05 I can tell you the crash happened because two stupid people (one on and one off the track) did two very stupid things...one of them won the race this year although I think he had a bit of help.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:15 PM
bjm
Pro

QUOTE=redvetracr;1578292726]Garrett, for 2011 the SVRA no longer sanctions the event Road America runs the show now. as the person who was third on the grid of 58 cars in`05 I can tell you the crash happened because two stupid people (one on and one off the track) did two very stupid things...one of them won the race this year although I think he had a bit of help.[/QUOTE]

Opinions vary!

Last edited by bjm; 08-01-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bjm
Yes, that was what I thought! The right call too! You should have come down and ask to borrow a trans, I am sure someone had a spare one hanging around. Did Duntov bring the car up? Its about having fun so no worries, although racing is more fun than just hanging around!!

Karl was hurt, broken finger, and his Cobra was hurt as well but it was not a Comp car and sadly Karl is no longer with us!

We luckily both made it out alive, as did both cars, but it was a bad deal!!!
Hi Brian,

Alan and Edward brought Sam, Clair, and Edward's car to Road America. My car came with Jody O'Donnell, at the request of Sam. I am very grateful for the ride. I think Edward had the fastest Group 6 car, but unfortunately his car broke, and thus (I think) Sam's car was fastest (Jody will dispute that) until he had to back off due to overheating. Brian I do so appreciate your offer of a trans, but we brought no tools, or spares, so had no hope of changing out a trans. HOWEVER, we had a GREAT vacation weekend.....just not a great RACE weekend. We endure......and await the next race. Our profound thanks to our families and friends who put up with and support our aberations.
Glad that both you and your Dad are OK. I didn't know that Carl had passed.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Kinda resembles the T1 race there last year.
Yeah, I'll second that!

Get notified of new replies

To Ouch...

Quick Reply: Ouch...