Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Causes for high oil temps?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 AM
muskamatt
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread worried me quite a bit. We (my Dad and I) just purchased a C5 Z06 and I got the temps up to about 260-265 at an auto-x event. I have read threads and I thought these temps seemed okay, however, everyone seems worried here.

Is it because the random rise in temp? I am not sure how I could stay at 250 at an auto-x event. I was in 2nd the whole time and hit redline on one or two straights but I thought everything was okay.

Power loss is hard to tell at your first time auto-x event driving a car you just got on a track that doesn't need much power. Thoughts?

Sorry for the jack, I will start my own I just figured this was on topic'ish. I am taking it out again this weekend so if anyone has advice on what to look for PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:02 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Is this what you cleaned with alcohol after removing the air bridge and air filter box? Sounds like I should have a look too. No catch can here.
Yes.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:06 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by muskamatt
This thread worried me quite a bit. We (my Dad and I) just purchased a C5 Z06 and I got the temps up to about 260-265 at an auto-x event. I have read threads and I thought these temps seemed okay, however, everyone seems worried here.

Is it because the random rise in temp? I am not sure how I could stay at 250 at an auto-x event. I was in 2nd the whole time and hit redline on one or two straights but I thought everything was okay.

Power loss is hard to tell at your first time auto-x event driving a car you just got on a track that doesn't need much power. Thoughts?

Sorry for the jack, I will start my own I just figured this was on topic'ish. I am taking it out again this weekend so if anyone has advice on what to look for PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Thanks everyone.

Staying under 260-65 without a cooler will be tough. I would not worry about 265 personally.

Power loss did not seem to be tied to oil temp. I was thinking I had a bent/cracked valve or bad ring to tie the two together.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,107 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Is this what you cleaned with alcohol after removing the air bridge and air filter box? Sounds like I should have a look too. No catch can here.
I find it necessary to drain my catch can every two hours of operation if not sooner. I have only one, some have two.

Quick Reply: Causes for high oil temps?