Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW - Quantum C6 Fog Light Brake Cooling Inlets

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:08 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Lambert_Automotive
I never did a baseline check for the stock C6 (dump into the wheel well area) cooling. I suppose I could do this, but I am not sure how soon I would be able to make it happen. I would also have to rig something up as I no longer have any of the OE C6 brake cooling hardware laying around. So technically it would not be apples to apples.
Don't spend and extra money or time if you haven't already. I was thinking that if completely stock brake rotor temps get up to XXX F you could compare your products. Say the touring kit reduces temps by XX%, the comp kit XX% from original and XX% over the touring kit and the foglite inlets could be compared to all three.

No matter what you choose, it will help in any driving style. My touring kit should be here in a couple days.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea! I was just thinking the other day about doing this. I never use my fog lights.

What is this? Is this part of the kit or something that is already on the car?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:12 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

When do you expect to start shipping these?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:44 PM
0Lambert_Automotive
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomiboy
When do you expect to start shipping these?
These will be shipping this week. Sorry for the delay everyone.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:33 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Jon, I got the FogLight kit yesterday and the quality is 1st class.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM
0Lambert_Automotive
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tomiboy
Jon, I got the FogLight kit yesterday and the quality is 1st class.
Thanks so much. We got all the back orders out before heading out for ALMS at road Atlanta. Everyone should have theirs this week.

Now we just need a corvette racing 1-2 finish...
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

You know your brake cooling ducts are really working when you find dead flies and other large insects in the drop well area of your front wheels.

Leave the screens off !

-
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Do you or will you be making a kit for the C5?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 PM
UncleRobb
Racer

I enjoy riding a C6 on tracks like the Nürburgring Nordschleife and, as can be expected, I run into brake cooling problems. I have already installed a spindle duct kit that gets its air from the stock openings underneath the car. Unfortunately, the track is pretty hard on the plastic spoiler lid and I expect a decent sized lid to be essential for the stock openings to work properly.

The problem with the fog light openings, as I see it, is that there are as well high (the front) as well as low pressure zones (the side). As far as I can see from your pictures is that you remove the aerodynamic bend of the fog light covers and replace it by something edgy at the circular air inlet. From the pictures I have difficulties seeing exactly how your kit looks as I see no pics taken from a distance without the inlet covered by a fine mesh. The mesh itself seems to follow roughly the forms of the original transparent fog light covers.

My questions are:

1. How can you be sure that the inlet is completely in a high (instead of low pressure zone) without using a wind tunnel?

2. What is the influence of your inlets on the total aerodynamics of the car? Is the inpact similar to the C5 when opening the head lights, where the drag coefficient raises considerably which has a big influence on top speed (about 10 mph).

3. How well do the inlets work with the rather fine mesh installed compared to no mesh at all? I suspect that the meshes in fact help aerodynamics, but create problems for the inlets. Can the meshes also be ordered from you?

Thanks, Robert
Old 06-19-2012, 02:28 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Red is the highest pressure color. Doesn't look like the stock fog lights are too high or too far outboard to be outside the highest pressure zone.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:05 PM
UncleRobb
Racer

Originally Posted by naschmitz
Red is the highest pressure color. Doesn't look like the stock fog lights are too high or too far outboard to be outside the highest pressure zone.
Not quite: If warm colors (i.e. red, orange, yellow) correspond to high and cold colors (green, cyan, blue) to low pressures then the fog light openings exhibit the transition from high to low pressure. The pic belows shows my car (with stock body) in a similar angle as the wind tunnel diagram.

Anyway: Thanks for the great pic!

Robert

Last edited by UncleRobb; 06-19-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Better pic
Old 06-20-2012, 01:41 PM
0Lambert_Automotive
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by UncleRobb
I enjoy riding a C6 on tracks like the Nürburgring Nordschleife and, as can be expected, I run into brake cooling problems. I have already installed a spindle duct kit that gets its air from the stock openings underneath the car. Unfortunately, the track is pretty hard on the plastic spoiler lid and I expect a decent sized lid to be essential for the stock openings to work properly.

The problem with the fog light openings, as I see it, is that there are as well high (the front) as well as low pressure zones (the side). As far as I can see from your pictures is that you remove the aerodynamic bend of the fog light covers and replace it by something edgy at the circular air inlet. From the pictures I have difficulties seeing exactly how your kit looks as I see no pics taken from a distance without the inlet covered by a fine mesh. The mesh itself seems to follow roughly the forms of the original transparent fog light covers.

My questions are:

1. How can you be sure that the inlet is completely in a high (instead of low pressure zone) without using a wind tunnel?

2. What is the influence of your inlets on the total aerodynamics of the car? Is the inpact similar to the C5 when opening the head lights, where the drag coefficient raises considerably which has a big influence on top speed (about 10 mph).

3. How well do the inlets work with the rather fine mesh installed compared to no mesh at all? I suspect that the meshes in fact help aerodynamics, but create problems for the inlets. Can the meshes also be ordered from you?

Thanks, Robert
Robert,

The kit is in a high pressure zone as it has been moved to the front of the car. Is it in the HIGHEST pressure zone. No.

I am unable to tell you what exact effects the inlets have on the car aerodynamically. As we obviously did not wind tunnel test them. It is not economically feasible. Using fog light openings for brake cooling has been an old racers trick for a long time. It has been allowed by the SCCA for years. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

I have run the kit with and without the mesh. I have noticed no difference in measured temperatures.

We are currently shipping the kits with the mesh included. As most customers want it. Rather than offer it separately I will likely just keep including it and increase the price slightly in the future.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Vegas227
Intermediate

How much for one of these sir?

Quick Reply: NEW - Quantum C6 Fog Light Brake Cooling Inlets