Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Data logger install

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C6 Data logger install

This post probably belongs over in the C6 tech section but I mostly hang-out here so what the heck. I mainly track my C6Z06 these days and removed the factory "BLOWS" radio to install a data-logger. I had a windshield suction mount but prefer the unit and sensor leads be out of the way. I could not source a close-out panel so instead purchased a Metra DDIN panel (95-3304) used for after-market radio installations and had a local plastic fabricator cut a sheet of ABS plastic for an insert panel. Not a perfect match, but close enough. The radio weighs ~ 5 lbs and the amp ~1 lb so after installation of the logger I lost a couple of pounds and moved the weight to the floor too boot:

With removal of the factory radio, it was necessary to install a Metra radio replacement interface module (PAC C2R-GM24) to keep the data-bus system happy and provide the notification chimes through its built-in speaker.

Console, radio and A/C controls removed. Console disassembly is limted to four screws and a couple of clips in the dash. The only casualty was the traction control switch which is impossible to remove without breaking the little sucker. Fortunately they are not expensive.

I located and removed the amp creating space for sensor leads behind the right-side foot panel:

Then I ran the sensor leads through the dash and installed the interface module in the space vacated by the radio. If not replacing the radio you only use the main direct plug of the Metro interface to the factory radio harness (the light blue plug):

The finished install with an RLC Micropod http://www.rlcracing.com/ . It has OBDII interface and analog sensors for brake pressure, dual AFR sensors as well as GPS mapping for track days.

Jim

Last edited by Corvee; 10-20-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Sweet looking setup!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

RLC is great for CAN, bad for OBD2.
Gonna be tough for the highly informative screen to be useful over there, no?
I could hardly read my datalogger display and it was directly in front of me.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
RLC is great for CAN, bad for OBD2.
Gonna be tough for the highly informative screen to be useful over there, no?
I could hardly read my datalogger display and it was directly in front of me.
I was able to set up most needed OBDII sensors (RPM, speed, accelerator position, coolant temp) without any problem with the exception of oil temp and oil pressure and may have to install separate analog sensors for those. I primarily rely on the unit's alarms for critical sensors (engine temp, AFR ratios) if parameters are exceeded. The unit has a screen that displays recorded highs and lows for the session so I check it then.

Where it is mounted I can easily see the unit in my peripheral vision. During sessions my interaction with the unit is primarily limited to setting splits through the touch screen. I am pretty busy driving the car and do not monitor it except on straights anyway, even when the unit was mounted on a suction cup in my direct field of vision. I check the screen periodically to see how I am doing with respect to overall fast lap (there is an above/below best time) or beyond set split points while working on a section of track, and my time after completion of a lap.

The logged sensor data is primarily used at the end of sessions or day when comparing lap times with GPS recorded drive lines on my laptop. The software displays the sensors data by lap and location on the track so you can determine optimum breaking points, accelerator position, gear selection, RPM, speed, etc.

For me, having the unit permanently mounted out of the way and the cables off the floor was well worth the effort.

Last edited by Corvee; 10-20-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Data logger install

Quick Reply: C6 Data logger install