Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Daze: 14 & 15 November (Full and Grand Courses)!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Trackdaze: 14 & 15 November (Full and Grand Courses)!

Trackdaze had an outstanding two day event at VIR this past Monday and Tuesday - Full Course and Grand East Course!

If you haven't participated in an event with Trackdaze - check them out. Jeremy Jens and team are 1st rate.

Safe and lots of track time! I ran some of my best laps on the Grand yesterday!

The weather and track conditions were perfect! Sunny and low 70s both days.

They ran three run groups with 4 x 30 minute sessions per day. I may have a video worth posting...

This event was a great way to close out the 2011 HPDE season with a bunch of fast cars and drivers.

For me... it was all about the awesome 4.2 mile Grand East Course on Tuesday!

I met several of my fellow Corvette forum members there along with Porsche, BMW, Miata, Nissan and Mustang drivers.

Who else participated in this event? I believe a good time was had by all. See you next year!

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 11-19-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:41 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like it was a great time and excellent weather. Wish I could have made the event. I'm going to try to run several of their events next year - a lot of track time per day when compared to the typical NASA event.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:49 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I was there as well. It was an excellent event with perfect weather and a great set of drivers in the Advanced group. I was in a black C5, #98. You past me several times

Had a spec Miata spin in front of me coming out of the Hog Pen, that was an exciting moment. Other than that it was a very clean event from my seat.

This was my first time on the Grand course configuration and I really enjoyed it. There are some very quick right-left-right sequences there.

I ran my Continental Extreme DWs all day on Tuesday and can't say enough about them for a street tire. These things are awesome for 300 treadwear and great in the rain as well.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Vette53
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the spin... I was shifting from 3rd to fourth and got second instead. I dumped the clutch pretty quick and the tires broke loose immediately. Third gear won't get me to the exit of Hog Pen so the shift happens before completely through the corner. When ther rear broke loose I could not stop the spin so I went both feet in and held on until I realized I was skidding backwards towards the grass so I released the brakes to let the car roll into the grass.

My bad...
Old 11-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Vette53
Instructor

BTW: The Grand course was a lot of fun. That was my first time running that config.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Sounds like it was a great time and excellent weather. Wish I could have made the event. I'm going to try to run several of their events next year - a lot of track time per day when compared to the typical NASA event.
Curtis, I agree. While a NASA event is reasonably priced for the 3 sessions you get per day - between 20 - 30 minutes each, you definitely get more HPDE track time with Trackdaze along with the same good classroom instruction and very reasonable passing rules for all the run groups. I'm looking forward to running with you again next year. Mike

Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by argonaut
I was there as well. It was an excellent event with perfect weather and a great set of drivers in the Advanced group. I was in a black C5, #98. You past me several times

This was my first time on the Grand course configuration and I really enjoyed it. There are some very quick right-left-right sequences there.
Hey Brad, how did you like the Grand course compared to the Full course? I can't get enough of the twists and turns in that 4.2 mile circuit! Damn its FUN!! I believe Trackdaze will be running that course again next year along with a few other clubs. You looked like you were picking up the interior Patriot course section very well. the white Porsche racer (Instructor) that ran in our Black group told me the C5 is ideal for the Full course while the Porsche 911 is better suited for the Grand course. I love to hear those kinds of comments from Porsche drivers. LOL

Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Hey Brad, how did you like the Grand course compared to the Full course? I can't get enough of the twists and turns in that 4.2 mile circuit! Damn its FUN!! I believe Track Daze will be running that course again next year along with a few other clubs. You looked like you were picking up the interior Patriot course section very well. the white Porsche racer (Instructor) that ran in our Black group told me the C5 is ideal for the Full course while the Porsche 911 is better suited for the Grand course. I love to hear those kinds of comments from Porsche drivers. LOL
Hey Mike. I enjoyed the grand course a lot. I'm not a real speed freak, preferring a bit more of the tighter stuff. For example I like Shenandoah, a track many Vette drivers despise. So the grand course was right up my alley. You really have to man handle the car thru some of those esses, reminds me a bit of a slalom in autocross. Great fun. I think one day on full and the next on grand is a great combination. I hope Track Daze does it again next year, I plan to be back.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vette53
Sorry about the spin... I was shifting from 3rd to fourth and got second instead. I dumped the clutch pretty quick and the tires broke loose immediately. Third gear won't get me to the exit of Hog Pen so the shift happens before completely through the corner. When ther rear broke loose I could not stop the spin so I went both feet in and held on until I realized I was skidding backwards towards the grass so I released the brakes to let the car roll into the grass.

My bad...
Wow...small world . I wondered if something went wrong there, it seemed an odd place to spin. The way you let it back off the track into the grass was awesome, very quick thinking.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

With my crappy travel schedule for work next year I'll probably be doing more of these non-NASA events. I instructed for them one time with the grand course on day two. In August. Forgot that if you blow the bitch and go straight its the same as 4 wheels off.
Found out even my old C4 has an ice mode in the ABS

I like both configurations and TrackDaze gives you lots of track time for the money!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to see you again Mike. I had a great time and loved being back at VIR even if I only did the one day. I did have my first off in seven years of doing this. I ran out of brakes in turn one and drove straight off. No damage done.

Rob
Old 11-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rob's 73
Good to see you again Mike. I had a great time and loved being back at VIR even if I only did the one day. I did have my first off in seven years of doing this. I ran out of brakes in turn one and drove straight off. No damage done.

Rob
Rob, I'm jealous that you're now less than 1.5 hour away from VIR vs. my 4.5 hours. Looking forward to doing more VIR events with you next year. Hopefully, many more opportunities to run the 4.2 mile Grand East course. Glad to hear you had a great time and no damage to your Corvette - you have a powerful ride! Mike
Old 11-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Trackdaze is always top notch. I was looking forward to ending the year on a good note, but a blown rear seal ended my track day early.

I will be ready for next year.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:23 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

I was there for the Audi event before as well.

TrackDaze was pretty much a Corvette event and great fun especially day 2 on Grand. VIR is simply fantastic.

...and Aloha is mucho fast.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I was there Monday, but I was in the Intermediate group. It was pretty crowded at almost 40 cars. Hard to get a clean lap in. Probably move to advanced next time. My goal has always been to dominate intermediate group, but I have to admit, it wasn't as much fun as the Advanced group was at the SVT event last month. It was awesome weather though. Last Nov it was 23* for the morning session.

What kind of times do ya'll run in the advanced group? 2:12 was about my average clean lap Monday. Would that be holding up people? There was a Dodge Neon in the Inter group - I passed him 3 times in one session. Don't want to be "that" guy in the Advanced group. The last time I passed him, I notice after the NEON badge on his trunk he had an "ACR" decal.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:16 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

2:12 is plenty fast.

But it's more about track awareness and being able to interact w/ the other cars around the track. So at VIR where I think you are quite comfortable you are likely ready for advanced for sure. The group you run w/ matters too.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

I will echo what Ken said - it's all about having good situational awareness on the track with your fellow Advanced drivers since you can pass anywhere at any time - including the turns - with a point by. I ran a 2:19 in my Mustang GT in the Advanced Group once and had no issues - lots of fun! You'll do fine and quickly figure out which drivers you can trust to do those more 'complex' passes at speed vs. the ones you want to wait for the safest opportunity. Here's a lap around the full course in my Mustang vs. a Supercharged Lotus Exige - watch the two steering wheels :

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 11-20-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Daze: 14 & 15 November (Full and Grand Courses)!

Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 PM
RonnieM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
What kind of times do ya'll run in the advanced group? 2:12 was about my average clean lap Monday:.
Thats a few seconds quickier than I was timing you at the SVT event. Norbert has got you improving.

Good luck to you at Daytona wish I could make the trip
Old 11-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
...and Aloha is mucho fast.
I will echo that comment. And when will we see him down south at RA or the new track AMP next year....
Old 11-21-2011, 03:59 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Dunno - but I will be at Chin this weekend....

Can't wait!

Quick Reply: Track Daze: 14 & 15 November (Full and Grand Courses)!