Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recipe for a Budget BAD Nasa SU or SCCA GT-1/SPO

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Recipe for a Budget BAD Nasa SU or SCCA GT-1/SPO

A carbureted 6.0 iron block LS with ported L92 heads making about 12 to 1, dry sumped in a perimeter frame late model stock car. Should make about 650 HP and 540 torque.

Weighing about 2500 # minus driver with 7.25 triple disc clutch Jerico 4 speed and Nascar nine inch low drag rear end.

Coilovers, a three link with watts link and a down force late model body.

For economical wheels and rubber use the Bassett 15x10 lightweight steels in the front and the 15x12 in the rear. The rubber, how about the 25x12x15 Hoosier modified tires in front and the 26.5x13x15 in the rear. (about 150 each new)

Get a set of Nascar Brembo, used from the Mooresville shops and you got one screamin' fast ride for not much over 20 K if you do the work yourself.

A well driven car like this could do 1:25 at Road Atlanta

Just an idea!

There are similar cars out there, but haven't seen any with the iron block carb LS that could be legal for SCCA GT-1.

Last edited by bosco022; 12-12-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:34 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

You lost me at iron block.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:48 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Something like Charles Wicht's Monte Carlo, although this was powered first by a small block 18 degree motor making about 670 hp and then later by an SB2 making 800.

This car ran a 2:04 at Sebring and finished 4th in the Trans Am race there this year.

Charles has now moved on to a Rocketsports Corvette

Old 12-12-2011, 08:53 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
You lost me at iron block.
For NASA or SCCA SPO you could use the alum block.

The only GT-1 legal alum block motor right now is the LS1 with the stock intake and throttle body. Not enough power.

This will change though, Secret Car Club of America just moves real slow. Many there still think the Bug Eye Sprite is the weapon of choice.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by bosco022
Secret Car Club of America just moves real slow. Many there still think the Bug Eye Sprite is the weapon of choice.
That deserves a quote.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Who says the Bug Eye is NOT the weapon for choice? We know a father and son team that drives the wheels off these things!

Bosco,

If anyone could field a competitive GT car for $20k, most of us would be doing it. The real expense is putting a viable suspension under those parts you describe, and then making it all play together happily (see "Development"). Oh, and it can not weigh-in at 2500 pounds.

Ed

Last edited by RacePro Engineering; 12-12-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:30 PM
bosco022
Drifting

[QUOTE=RacePro Engineering;1579452984]Who says the Bug Eye is NOT the weapon for choice? We know a father and son team that drives the wheels off these things!

Bosco,

If anyone could field a competitive GT car for $20k, most of us would be doing it. The real expense is putting a viable suspension under those parts you describe, and then making it all play together happily (see "Development"). Oh, it can not weigh-in at 2500 pounds.

Ed[/QUOTE

The road race late model we are putting together right now will have Penske Shocks, three link with a watts link, coilovers with new Eibach or integra springs, a splined Nascar type sway bar, SWEET spindles, Brembo brakes, a fresh G Force T101 box, Woodward rack, Winters quick change and I will be in it under 20 K with a 525 HP SBC.

The Monte Carlo pictured above has a Nascar truck arm rear suspension. 2:04 at Sebring.....It handles very well.

I would rather do it with the LS, but I have this 23 degree motor just sitting.

Can't weigh in at 2500 #? We have had several at this weight or less.

Our Camaro, that was a Monte Carlo weighs 2430 # w/o driver and 3 gallons of fuel. With an LS1.

The similar new car will weigh about 90 # more with the iron block

My point was, The production class sprites and midgets make fine race cars but they aren't really turning on the younger generation of racers.

Last edited by bosco022; 12-12-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:04 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob,

Please do not take my post the wrong way -- we greatly admire anyone who undertakes a project of that type, especially building from varied components! It is truly refreshing after reading about the 127th C5 Z06 with a T1 suspension . . . . .

The point I was hoping to make is that the build cost will be only a fraction of ultimate expense (and you probably already know that.) Getting even the very best suspension components "married", in an optimized configuration, will require MANY thousands of dollars in track time for testing.

And, once optimized, if it is going to run with SCCA GTs, it will need to weigh LESS THAN 2500 pounds.

If you are keeping detailed records of costs, it think it will be interesting (maybe depressing??) to see how hard costs of assembly, eventually stack up against development costs (consumables and track time for testing). And if you are willing to share that info, I will be very interested as the work progresses.

Ed
Old 12-12-2011, 04:18 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Rob,

Please do not take my post the wrong way -- we greatly admire anyone who undertakes a project of that type, especially building from varied components! It is truly refreshing after reading about the 127th C5 Z06 with a T1 suspension . . . . .

The point I was hoping to make is that the build cost will be only a fraction of ultimate expense (and you probably already know that.) Getting even the very best suspension components "married", in an optimized configuration, will require MANY thousands of dollars in track time for testing.

And, once optimized, if it is going to run with SCCA GTs, it will need to weigh LESS THAN 2500 pounds.

If you are keeping detailed records of costs, it think it will be interesting (maybe depressing??) to see how hard costs of assembly, eventually stack up against development costs (consumables and track time for testing). And if you are willing to share that info, I will be very interested as the work progresses.

Ed
Ed, no offense taken. SCCA GT-1's with a 6.0 liter motor must weigh 2780. The super high dollar Derhaag type Corvette's probably weigh around 2400 minus driver and they have to add lead.

I wasn't comparing one of these as a Trans Am winner, just a low cost, safe, alternative to building a production car into a very fast racer.
But, For some that is the reward.

For us, most of the baseline develoment is done as we have been doing this a while and I have a very sharp car builder/crew chief. He builds the Penske shocks (mostly bought off ebay in pieces), he knows what springs to use, what sway bar, camber etc.

I was speaking of initial cost. We all know that is just the start.

If you look around you can find some real deals in the late model stock car market. In this economy they are a relative dime a dozen.

Get notified of new replies

To Recipe for a Budget BAD Nasa SU or SCCA GT-1/SPO

Quick Reply: Recipe for a Budget BAD Nasa SU or SCCA GT-1/SPO