Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is what happens when you get bored on a Sunday............

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd like to see a drilled lifter cup if you have it handy.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:44 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
It's just a simple hole in each one... seen it done before
Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Yes, I have done it before (prior car), just curious on the size/location.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is one. 1/2" hole basically inline with were the lifter is.

Last edited by geerookie; 02-09-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Since I had the camera out I thought I would add some ****.....

Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks! You should use new lifter cups on the rebuild.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:59 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Thanks! You should use new lifter cups on the rebuild.
These are the old ones which is why they are so dirty. It was laying in a pile over in the corner. I just pulled it out for pictures. The new ones aren't even out of the GM plastic wrapper yet.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone reiterate the purpose of drilling the lifter trays? Better oil flow?

Geerookie: What was your reasoning for not going with the 5.5"? Are you trying not to do a button setup?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:22 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
Can someone reiterate the purpose of drilling the lifter trays? Better oil flow?

Geerookie: What was your reasoning for not going with the 5.5"? Are you trying not to do a button setup?
Drilling the lifter trays gives you better drain back so the oil doesn't pool. On an engine that runs at high RPM all the time this will contribute to oil starvation but probably more important is if the oil pools in the lifter cups and the lifters are pounding up and down it will cause the oil to foam which significantly reduces its effectivness.

Not sure I understand the clutch question......7.25" does use a button flywheel.
The reason for a 7.25" instead of a 5.5" is heat capacity and reliability. The trade off in laptimes between a 5.5" and a 7.25" is insignificant (we did the math) in a race less than an hour, but the heat capacity/reliability is at least twice as much. That clutch only weighs ~3lbs more than the 5.5". This is an 8-leg Optimum-V compared to a 6-leg 5.5" Optimum-V.
This clutch with discs weighs 10.4lbs
Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

You going to balance the new clutch setup to the one you took out or just zerio balance and install?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
Drilling the lifter trays gives you better drain back so the oil doesn't pool. On an engine that runs at high RPM all the time this will contribute to oil starvation but probably more important is if the oil pools in the lifter cups and the lifters are pounding up and down it will cause the oil to foam which significantly reduces its effectivness.

Not sure I understand the clutch question......7.25" does use a button flywheel.
The reason for a 7.25" instead of a 5.5" is heat capacity and reliability. The trade off in laptimes between a 5.5" and a 7.25" is insignificant (we did the math) in a race less than an hour, but the heat capacity/reliability is at least twice as much. That clutch only weighs ~3lbs more than the 5.5". This is an 8-leg Optimum-V compared to a 6-leg 5.5" Optimum-V.
This clutch with discs weighs 10.4lbs
You answered it all just fine lol Thanks

Will you be driving to the track or trailer it?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
You answered it all just fine lol Thanks

Will you be driving to the track or trailer it?
Had to quit driving to the track 2 years ago after hitting the wall at The Glen for the 2nd time 100% race car now.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:13 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by travisnd
You going to balance the new clutch setup to the one you took out or just zerio balance and install?
Why? QuarterMaster builds it balanced. Or am I missing something?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Is this your first rodeo with a C5 clutch swap? Lets just say that in some cars they put in an off-balanced clutch assembly to bring the engine within spec. If you are lucky enough to have one of these cars (I was) and you install a properly zero balanced clutch setup (I did), you will be greeted with a wonderful new vibration after you get it all back together (boy was that fun).

The older GM service manuals tell you to mark the location of the balance weights on the back of the flywheel and transfer them to the new one (No holes for them on a Fidanza flywheel). The later GM service manuals tell you to not transfer the balance weights and that the clutches come as a balanced assembly.

I pulled the clutch and took it to a driveline shop with my stock stuff. Had the stock stuff spun up and had the new clutch assembly matched exactly to the off-balance on the stocker. Upon reinstallation the vibration was gone.

So... if you have the time it's best to go have the new assembly match balanced to the stock assembly. Or, at least have the stock one checked. If it turns out it's balanced then you're fine. Oh... and lets not even get into all the stories about "zero balanced" aftermarket clutches that aren't.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:11 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by travisnd
Is this your first rodeo with a C5 clutch swap? Lets just say that in some cars they put in an off-balanced clutch assembly to bring the engine within spec. If you are lucky enough to have one of these cars (I was) and you install a properly zero balanced clutch setup (I did), you will be greeted with a wonderful new vibration after you get it all back together (boy was that fun).

The older GM service manuals tell you to mark the location of the balance weights on the back of the flywheel and transfer them to the new one (No holes for them on a Fidanza flywheel). The later GM service manuals tell you to not transfer the balance weights and that the clutches come as a balanced assembly.

I pulled the clutch and took it to a driveline shop with my stock stuff. Had the stock stuff spun up and had the new clutch assembly matched exactly to the off-balance on the stocker. Upon reinstallation the vibration was gone.

So... if you have the time it's best to go have the new assembly match balanced to the stock assembly. Or, at least have the stock one checked. If it turns out it's balanced then you're fine. Oh... and lets not even get into all the stories about "zero balanced" aftermarket clutches that aren't.

No this is my 6th clutch job on a C5.

Hmmmm.....I wasn't aware of this on C5's. I haven't had a stock clutch in this car for 5+ years. I took out a Fidanza flywheel and Spec clutch disc and Spec aluminum pressure plate. (read first post with clutch weight savings )

I guess that is what you call dumb luck As they say, "Ignorance is Bliss"
Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just put a 5.5" 2 disc V drive in a 99 coupe, and I noticed the discs are MUCH thinner than the 2 disc 5.5" V drive that's in my car. The button flywheel seemed to have more offset (deeper dish) to make up for this (ie, I assume the stack height is the same I presume). Not sure if QM changed this up for the LS stuff or what. The unit was slightly lighter than mine.

There is probably more MOI to be gained going to an alum starter ring on a 7.25" vs a steel ring on a 5.5" (it's 1/3 of the total weight, and much bigger dia than the clutch itself)
Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a non GM starter ring that was TIG welded in a few spots to beef up the ring gear mounting, I had it all balanced after and it did need a little removed (more than I expected) to get it 0.

Get notified of new replies

To This is what happens when you get bored on a Sunday............

Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

From the Tilton catalog,
MOI of a 7.25" sintered clutch & flywheel is 266
5.5" is 154

163 tooth flywheel (OEM size) MOI - 178
153 tooth (need special starter, 5.5" clutch) - 114
110 tooth (for 7.25" clutch, won't work w/o reverse start) - 53

Typical 5.5" sintered clutch MOI - 30
7.25" - 88

Doesn't/didn't the Caddy team run a little flywheel w/reverse starter? (MOI of ~65?)

What did the math show for lap time differences and what numbers did you plug in?
I only felt the difference out of slow turns, but would be interested in the actual #s.
Shifting speed was identical to my RPS, if that figures into your calculations.

Last edited by RX-Ben; 02-09-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I just put a 5.5" 2 disc V drive in a 99 coupe, and I noticed the discs are MUCH thinner than the 2 disc 5.5" V drive that's in my car. The button flywheel seemed to have more offset (deeper dish) to make up for this (ie, I assume the stack height is the same I presume). Not sure if QM changed this up for the LS stuff or what. The unit was slightly lighter than mine.

There is probably more MOI to be gained going to an alum starter ring on a 7.25" vs a steel ring on a 5.5" (it's 1/3 of the total weight, and much bigger dia than the clutch itself)

True. MOI is all about distance from the center.
I have a document written by a guy who did a comparison between Tilton 5.5 and 7.25 and QuarterMaster 5.5 and 7.25 clutches. The QuarterMaster 7.25 Pro being the highest MOI.
The car he was using was a Formula Ford so it was light and the differences should be much more obvious than they would be in our 2900lbs beasts. He took into account gearing, tires, wheels, drag. HP etc.
He did comparisons of no load acceleration and loaded acceleration (real world). The difference in acceleration between the 5.5 and 7.25 was on .02 seconds at 1000 meters.
Obviously the difference was a bit bigger in lower gears at shorter distances but still only about .08 sec.
Takes a much better driver than me to take advantage of that.
Plus remember, that isn't a 2900lb Corvette with an 18" wheel and tire combo that weighs 42lbs!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I just put a 5.5" 2 disc V drive in a 99 coupe, and I noticed the discs are MUCH thinner than the 2 disc 5.5" V drive that's in my car.
My discs are .105" thick.

How would the clutch in a '99 C5 be different than the one in your car? Was it Optimum-V compared to V-Drive?
Oh, wait, you have a Pro, correct?
Big differences between all especially if you have a 2 disc rally setup.

Quick Reply: This is what happens when you get bored on a Sunday............