Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piloti Driving Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 AM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Piloti Driving Shoes

Looking for a pair of Piloti driving shoes. Do we have a vendor on this forum that sells them?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Why not real driving shoes? Sparco or Stand 21?

Richard Newton
Newton's Laws
Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rfn026
Because I want Piloti.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by QWKSRT
Because I want Piloti.
I searched online and found good deals (no shipping and tax). I have 4 pairs. Race (fire resistant) and 3 I wear as everyday shoes.

BTW - great answer.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Richard Newton
Newton's Laws
i agree, What do you think about alpine stars? Thinking of those or Sparcos.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I searched online and found good deals (no shipping and tax). I have 4 pairs. Race (fire resistant) and 3 I wear as everyday shoes.
I've searched to but can't find the prototipo in black/white in size 12 anywhere including the auction site or piloti direct. Most sites show everything as out of stock. Was hoping for a dealer here in the forums.

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
BTW - great answer.
Thanks. The question was for a very specific brand.. you always get back "why not try this" and the answer is always the same.. because I don't want those. The question was for "piloti", not "race shoes in general".
Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by savaGe
i agree, What do you think about alpine stars? Thinking of those or Sparcos.
Thanks guys. I really want to try piloti. I've used sparco in the past for kart racing and alpine stars are too narrow. Just want to try a new/different shoe.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Personally, I wear Simpson driver's shoes ON TRACK ONLY, as they are not for walking. However, I did win some Piloti driver's shoes as an entrant to the Monterey Historics. In my opinion, they are VERY different from the Simpsons, and as a result, they are uncomfortable for me to wear. They have VERY hard soles and, although they are very expensive shoes, they are not very useful for me to either walk in (uncomfortable) or to drive in (stiff sole and ankle support make heel and toeing uncomfortable or difficult).
Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Cory M
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richard Newton
Newton's Laws
I've got a pair of Piloti's, they are nomex SFI approved full race boots. I like them a lot more than the Sparcos and Simpsons they replaced. Way more comfortable walking the paddock too. They are a little bit wider, that's my only complaint. I got them from some shop on Amazon. Heard Pilot recently went bankrupt so maybe they are getting hard to find....
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got a pair from Speed Merchants:
http://www.speedmerchants.com/

They are in Canada, but come racing in the US all the time, and they can ship them to you.
Ask for Angele.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Call Discovery parts and see if he has any in stock.
Mention "Sparkle Pony" for a discount.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I, too, like the piloti shoes. Have 3 pair. I bought the red/black high ankle last year but they turned the socks sort of red/pink. I really don't like wearing pink socks. Bondurant school has them and on sale sometimes. Get black or white and stay away from bright colors.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got about 10 pairs and use the racing shoes and casual driving shoes. Try shoebacca.com for discounted Piloti's.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by southern_son
I, too, like the piloti shoes. Have 3 pair. I bought the red/black high ankle last year but they turned the socks sort of red/pink. I really don't like wearing pink socks. Bondurant school has them and on sale sometimes. Get black or white and stay away from bright colors.
I have pink socks too from wearing those same ones. Felt like they were too rigid for heal/toe. Looking for mid-top now I guess in any brand.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by southern_son
I have yellow socks from the black/yellow pair.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I think my Stand 21 shoes will last about 30 years. I take them off when I pull into the pits. I don't walk around the pits with them. I only use them when I'm on the track. They're like the old pair of blue jeans you really love.

Richard Newton
Old 03-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Cory M
6th Gear

I think my Stand 21 shoes will last about 30 years. I take them off when I pull into the pits. I don't walk around the pits with them. I only use them when I'm on the track. They're like the old pair of blue jeans you really love.

Richard Newton
Stand 21's are really comfortable. A friend has had to send his in twice for repair because the glue on the rubber sole stopped sticking, despite that he still raves about them. Stand 21's service has been excellent and they are actually in the process of replacing them with new shoes, and the shoes are almost 2 years old. They cost over 4 times as much as the Pilotis I bought though...

Get notified of new replies

To Piloti Driving Shoes

Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

It used to be easy to buy Pilotis, but now all I can find is Lilliputian sizes. They say they make the size 13 except that no one stocks it.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:00 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Last C5
It used to be easy to buy Pilotis, but now all I can find is Lilliputian sizes. They say they make the size 13 except that no one stocks it.
Correct. This is what I'm finding too.. Getting a size 12 in the shoe I wanted to try is proving to be difficult, no impossible. I've tried countless sites including sites listed here in this thread (thanks guys!) as well as the auction site. Someone mentioned them going bankrupt which is likely the issue. Doesn't look like I'll be trying piloti anytime soon.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 PM
BHart1360
Instructor

Originally Posted by QWKSRT
Correct. This is what I'm finding too.. Getting a size 12 in the shoe I wanted to try is proving to be difficult, no impossible. I've tried countless sites including sites listed here in this thread (thanks guys!) as well as the auction site. Someone mentioned them going bankrupt which is likely the issue. Doesn't look like I'll be trying piloti anytime soon.

Try Texas Trading Outlet on the auction site. Not positive what the dealmis with them, as they list a price of $58 for a new pair, but may be worth checking into.

Quick Reply: Piloti Driving Shoes