Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing a vette with a #7000 axle enclosed trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmccreary
Get a diesel 3/4 ton too. You'll be glad you did.
1 ton dually...
Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gmccreary
Get a diesel 3/4 ton too. You'll be glad you did.
Originally Posted by varkwso
1 ton dually...
Maybe if you're a poor shmuck. The true HPDE Dominator accepts nothing less than Renegade...

Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately I have to tow with my Escalade. I live in a condo and they don't allow pickup trucks, and there is nowhere near enough room in the budget for a dually! The Caddy has plenty of power, but is absolute murder on gas. I only get about 8mpg hwy towing my 7x14 with 2 motorcycles in it.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Unfortunately I have to tow with my Escalade. I live in a condo and they don't allow pickup trucks, and there is nowhere near enough room in the budget for a dually! The Caddy has plenty of power, but is absolute murder on gas. I only get about 8mpg hwy towing my 7x14 with 2 motorcycles in it.
WTF... you live somewhere where they can tell you what you can and cannot drive?

Get a good weight distributing hitch if you don't already have one. The caddy may have self-leveling air springs out back that will help as well. If not, check out a set of Firestone air springs. They're fantastic for adding capacity when you want it and then going back to the factory ride the rest of the time.

I tow with a Nissan Titan and run Firestone bags and an Equalizer sway-control hitch. Worth every penny if you can't get a 3/4 or 1-ton truck... or don't want one.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 24' Pace weighed 8890 last time I had it scaled.
I went the other way on mine. I've got 5k axles with 6k hubs (for higher load range tires).
I guess it depends upon how you rig your trailer. Tool boxes, winches, cabinets and all the junk I carry pushes it way past what a 7k could/should do. I've also got bigger brakes on my trailer.

good luck on your search.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the advice/help guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

What do I need as far as a weight distributing hitch? I went to the local trailer shop, but they are a rip-off to begin with. They wanted $625 for a Draw Tite equalizing hitch with sway control. I see this setup from Equalizer but is it what I need? Called another place and they got all cryptic telling me I had to figure out my tongue load first and blah blah blah.

Is this what I need?

http://www.rvpartssupplier.com/Produ...201_a_7c946479
Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

What do I need as far as a weight distributing hitch? I went to the local trailer shop, but they are a rip-off to begin with. They wanted $625 for a Draw Tite equalizing hitch with sway control. I see this setup from Equalizer but is it what I need? Called another place and they got all cryptic telling me I had to figure out my tongue load first and blah blah blah.

Is this what I need?

http://www.rvpartssupplier.com/Produ...201_a_7c946479
I've been towing with an Equalizer for 5 years now... love the thing. I got mine from www.rvwholesalers.com but the price was similar i.e. way less than retail. The only extra thing you need to buy is the hitch ball. I use the 6k kit for my open trailer and my father has the 10k kit for his 24' enclosed. You'll see the kit you linked comes with:

Includes hitch head, hitch shank, spring arms, hardware, and sway control brackets. 1/box.

You need a specific ball for the Equalizer hitch head that has a shorter shank on it.

Hitch ball sold separately.

NOTE: Select a hitch ball with a 1-1/4" diameter threaded shank no longer than 2-3/8".

Here's the options off of RVWholesaler's website:

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...ailer-hitches/

The only other thing you could need is a different hitch shank (the L shaped piece) if for some reason the standard one can't get the trailer level with your truck. My open trailer is a low deck trailer so I had to get a longer one to get the hitch lower to get it to work properly. On my father's truck the rear sat too high so he had to bet the longer one as well. The Equalizer website has a nice calculator to determine if you need a different shank - http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...shanksizes.php

Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
I had lots of opportunities at 24' ers with 3,500# axles and I passed. I held out and finally found one with #5,000 axles.

Get rid of the "D" rated tires and get "E" rated, The E's are a 10 ply tire, the D is only 8. D's blowout like a candle at a birthday party, the E's don't.
I agree and you would be foolish IMO to buy a 24' trailer with #3500 axles. That isn't necessary.

The tires and wheels are a lot smaller also.

Call Jeff at Trailers for Less ... I bet he has 6 in stock today. They also deliver. He is a stand-up guy, honest and was the best pricing I found.

Trailers
Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Already got a trailer, if you scroll up a bit, I got a 8.5x24 v nose 10k axles $5600.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 PM
rbl
Drifting

Already got a trailer, if you scroll up a bit, I got a 8.5x24 v nose 10k axles $5600.
Excellent ... now you're only almost screwed with the equalizer hitch because of the V-Nose ... Investigate before you buy.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:44 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Equalizer works with a v nose. Thanks again guys!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by XWOODYX
Having your name on the door will cause a lot of grief with scales and D.O.T. A lot of drag racers tow with monster motorhomes no C.D.L. scary. If anybody is interested I have a 2012 Rollback car hauler, made by Easyload trailers. 7.000 lb rating; 15 inch tires (includes spare), brakes on both axles. 20 foot loading surface; Stake pocket tiedowns; Loading platform rolls back as it inclines to ground, without hydraulics, batteries or tipping method. 5 degree loading incline. Great for vehicles low to ground; no ramps needed. Removable fenders condition is NEW ......compared to a Sloan kwickload also called Texas rollback except Sloan trailers have 14 inch tires and only brakes on 1 axle, Sloans have 3 points to disengage the bed. My Easyload only has 2 both accessible from drivers side $5.000
You are misinformed about the Sloan trailer brakes.

Was the Easyload originally made by Sloan and why is yours $5,000 used?

Quick Reply: Towing a vette with a #7000 axle enclosed trailer?