Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't wait to hit the track

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Can't wait to hit the track

Just got the car back from Vengeance Racing. MAN OH MAN IS THE CAR AWESOME AND SO ARE THEY!!!!!!!!

So here is what I had done:

1) I already had a K&N and Bassani Catback on the car. At that point we did a base line and got 535/525

2) We did a mild tune just to see what we could get out of the car. We ended up getting 564/541

3) I got the Lingenfelter 2.35 pulley, 76mm idler, Solid coupler, and a Vette-Air. The 2.35 pulley comes out to a total of 16lbs of boost.

The results are DUUUUUUMB. This was done on a very mild tune and it was a hot pull. The car made 623/644. They had it in the 630s and then decided to tone it down since I will be road coursing the car and driving the ever living **** out of it. They believe it will do 650 on a clean pull with a more aggressive tune.

1st gear is useless on the PS2 ZPs
2nd gear you have to feather
3rd gear at a 80mph stab actually spun the tires for a second

I can't wait to get out to Road Atlanta. I tracked there in my Z06 that made 525/466 (in 95* weather) and had a blast. I feel like the new level of power especially the torque will make the car an animal when tracking out of a corner and down the straights. Also the brakes on the ZR1 compared to my DBA slotted rotors and hawk DTC70s are just amazing. Its definitely going to be a handful but I am sure it will be exhilarating.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow. That is some serious power. What run group do you run in?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:55 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Wow. That is some serious power. What run group do you run in?
I was supposed to try out for blue group last time, but I blew up my Z06 on my 5th lap so I didn't get to. So it looks like I am stuck in green for 2 more times because I spoke with Mark Hicks and he said since its a new car he wants me to wait for trying out to move up.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:09 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

That's a whole lot of power for starting out track days. Be careful man.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:18 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you do the LPE blower snout too?

If you're new to trackdays I suggest you leave PTM on in full and just stick the car in 4th for a few sessions. If you were my student that's what I'd ask you to do until you got a feel for the track and I was confident you could manage the power!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
That's a whole lot of power for starting out track days. Be careful man.
I agree it is a lot of power. My Z06 was making the same power as a stock ZR1 and weight about 200lbs less and I had no issues handling that. I will definitely be careful. I've got nothing to prove to anyone.

Originally Posted by travisnd
Did you do the LPE blower snout too?

If you're new to trackdays I suggest you leave PTM on in full and just stick the car in 4th for a few sessions. If you were my student that's what I'd ask you to do until you got a feel for the track and I was confident you could manage the power!

Nope stock snout with no porting.

PTM makes me cringe man as does TC/AH. I used to autox very heavily for a few years and learned how to input the proper correction factors into a car when it gets out of line. So the problem is when I leave systems on and the car gets out of line I am instinctively inputting and at the same time the systems are reacting. I end up with too much "correction factor" and the car goes wild.

I know my limits and I know my cars limits. And like I mentioned above I am not looking to prove anything to anyone.

When I was at Road Atlanta I listened, adjusted, and listened some more.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:32 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

You could always come out to the tracks unlimited event May 12 & 13 at Atlanta Motorsports Park
Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jaa1992
You could always come out to the tracks unlimited event May 12 & 13 at Atlanta Motorsports Park
I would but I'll be driving to Florida for about 2 weeks on May 13. I won't have my track wheels by then either(Gotta pick them up from CCW in Daytona). Also I think it would be wise with this new car and power to hit a track first that I am familiar with and know the line of.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

10-4... if you have that much previous experience then disregard my advice. I assumed you were a noob.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:50 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

gosh...
Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by whatcop?
PTM makes me cringe man as does TC/AH. I used to autox very heavily for a few years and learned how to input the proper correction factors into a car when it gets out of line.
I'd strongly encourage you to reconsider your stance on PTM. As I've written here (several times?) - it's not a nanny like the Stabilitrak system is. It's a cheater's tool. It won't catch the car if you screw up, but it will make you faster because it makes you smoother.

If you don't want the yaw control of Stabilitrak helping you, put PTM in mode 4 or 5. Disabling the entire system is, IMHO, foolish.

jas
Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I'd strongly encourage you to reconsider your stance on PTM. As I've written here (several times?) - it's not a nanny like the Stabilitrak system is. It's a cheater's tool. It won't catch the car if you screw up, but it will make you faster because it makes you smoother.
I have no direct experience with the new PTM, but did find it interesting that R&T let a pro-driver have at it and he was marginally faster with it on . That wouldn't be true with the old TC/AH system like I have in my 08.

Just food for thought.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by NOSLO6
let a pro-driver have at it and he was marginally faster with it on.
The PTM system has an interesting development history within GM. When it was first created, most of their internal hot-shoes insisted they could drive faster with it off than on. In other words: they were treating it as yet another nanny. They were given a bunch of laps around the Lutz ring with it both on and off, and every one of them turned better laps with it on.

When Mero stormed the N'Ring the second time around in the ZR1 and Z06, he had the PTM system in Mode 4.

As pointed out, Milner couldn't beat it in the Road and Track article. Neither could Motor Trend's hot-shoe Randy Pobst.

jas
Old 04-26-2012, 02:51 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp

If you don't want the yaw control of Stabilitrak helping you, put PTM in mode 4 or 5. Disabling the entire system is, IMHO, foolish.

jas
PTM is interesting in setting 5 with how it's cuts cylinders. I would be concerned though if it would have adverse affects on a car that's tuned. I would need to have my tuner sitting next to me and data log as I did a lap and make the system kick in and make sure nothing bad is happening.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't wait to hit the track

Quick Reply: Can't wait to hit the track