Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bob Grossman loses his battle with cancer

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 02:29 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Bob Grossman loses his battle with cancer

Bob Grossman from South Hampton, New York passed away on Monday May 20, 2002. He had been fighting health issues for some time.

Bob was one of the best drivers I ever saw. He raced and won many SCCA events from 57 thru 65. He raced LeMans at least 6 times from 1959 thru 1964, and came in 5th thru 9th overall driving Ferrari, Jaguar,and Corvette. Briggs Cuningham and Fireball Roberts were two of his race team drivers.

His most exciting Corvette ride was in 1960 when he and John Fitch finished 8th overall and first in class in the # 3 Cunningham car. The last hour they had to stop every lap and pack the engine with dry ice to try and cool it as coolant had escaped at the last pit stop and it was illegal to add fluid for 25 laps. The US Military people went wild and cheered the Americans on. Soon thereafter, the French joined in and they too cheered for the Yanks. Bob dropped from 5th to 8th, but that was the best finish ever for a Corvette until this past year.

Bob was a very gentle and interesting man. He will be sorely missed by the racing community.
Old 05-25-2002, 07:10 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Bob Grossman loses his battle with cancer (jimgessner)

:blueangel:

H rocks
Old 05-25-2002, 11:15 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Bob Grossman loses his battle with cancer (h rocks)

:blueangel: God Bless Him :blueangel:
Old 05-25-2002, 02:59 PM
Mechanic
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Bob Grossman loses his battle with cancer (jimgessner)

Boy, that is sad to read. I first read Bob Grossman's name in print 1960. He was running a SWB Ferrari Berlinetta in events on the east coast, and I thought he was a god. Later, in June, when Bob Grossman and John Fitch managed to somehow coach an overheating Corvette to an 8th place finish at LeMans, I knew he was a god. (I don't know whose idea it was to pack ice on the intake manifold, but somehow the car made it to the end of the event in an era when the organizers limited the competitors' ability to add water between regular pit stops [was it 25 laps?]) Until two years ago, that result finish stood as Corvette's best finish. The car's being restored now, and I think it will be back at Carlisle again this year. I'll think of Bob Grossman every time I see it. I sincerely hope these guys know how much they added to the history of motorsport.

[Modified by Mechanic, 1:01 PM 5/25/2002]

[Modified by Mechanic, 4:12 PM 5/25/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Bob Grossman loses his battle with cancer

Quick Reply: Bob Grossman loses his battle with cancer