Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Failure at 140 - Very Exciting

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Derek. I got the quote from Phoenix Performance this afternoon. It's not too bad. As I anticipated, it is just plastic parts, a new crush foam behind the front fascia, the headlight brackets can be glued. So, all in all not to bad. Could have been a real mess...

I have an AIM DL1 system with a Smarty Cam.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:08 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Good work scrubbing speed. Looks like you hit the tire wall around 30mph. Glad you are okay and damage was fairly minimal.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Talk about becoming a passenger....don't ya hate that helpless feeling? Glad you are okay and were able to scrub off some speed. I'll be watching this thread for more info on the ABS issue.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:41 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

A couple years ago I had an abs failure as well. In my case it went into "ice mode". There is a chance it was because of a flat RF tire, but impossible to determine if the flat was before or after I went off track. I pumped the brakes several times. Stood as hard as I could on the pedal and zero response until several pumps later, but at that point I was already off track and ended up in the tire wall. I've said it many times before. I hate factory abs systems. I've raced several seasons in a purpose built race car with no stupid driver aids and never had any serious contact or dangerous situations, but in my corvette just having fun on a low key track day I had the worst experience ever on track that could have been much worse.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:20 AM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep us updated on the diagnosis of the cause of the failure. This type of stuff really worries me, as I have experienced similar brake failure on the street. I'm glad you're okay and didn't incur any serious injury or damage.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive had the pleasure of needing to yank the E-Brake in the car while on the track. It does help. But no matter how hard you yank. The tires wont come close to lockup. Id put it up there with a "last resort" effort
Old 10-13-2012, 07:45 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad your ok
Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uploaded the pictures of the tires and the front of the car. The repair bill is in. Not as bad as it could have been, but there is always more damage than it appears from the outside.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Wow Steve. I'm sure glad that YOU are ok after this. Talk to you soon.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:52 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Scary stuff Steve, glad you're OK.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:30 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Don't think there was much that you could have done. Looks like the out come was not too bad. I've seen a lot worse accidents at the track from brake failures.

Glad to see you're alright.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I have had ice mode where a wheel(s) locks up and braking capacity goes to about 20%. You get 100% off pedal & go back on & it resets.

Does not look like what you had, please post up your conclusions & glad you are ok!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If that's happening to many people, that's a design flaw.

In my 96, on a certain corner at Pocono, I could feel the ABS pushing back at my foot, and not letting me brake. There were many smallish bumps in that 1 corner.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:37 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Is there any way to disable ABS...............

BTW: Glad you didn't clip the other car........
Old 10-13-2012, 08:53 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
Is there any way to disable ABS...............

BTW: Glad you didn't clip the other car........
Easy. Just unplug one of your wheel speed sensors (be careful to secure the plug so that the wires are not bearing any load from the plug hanging free). You will not have active handling this way.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Easy. Just unplug one of your wheel speed sensors (be careful to secure the plug so that the wires are not bearing any load from the plug hanging free). You will not have active handling this way.

Or better yet, pull the fuse. On the C5s that is the best thing to do when it fails if you wish to continue to drive. Otherwise the responses from the system seem whacky and inconsistent from my experience of several ABS failures in five years of racing.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Glad you are ok.

I lost ABS at WGI. I figured it out going into turn 8 and luckily I didn't flat spot the tire. Actually ran the rest of the day without ABS.

The cause was the wire to the hub/sensor got cut. Not sure exactly how but that's all it takes.

Disconnecting the fuse works.

Get notified of new replies

To ABS Failure at 140 - Very Exciting

Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The failure mode should be system disabled, not locking wheels. That is a serious design flaw. The penalty is POSSIBLE DEATH.

I think this should be reported to GM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 AM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Originally Posted by larryfs
The failure mode should be system disabled, not locking wheels. That is a serious design flaw. The penalty is POSSIBLE DEATH.

I think this should be reported to GM.
I agree- that is a bad mode of failure- you might want to file a NHTSA report.

I've been through this with complete brake system failure on a MB CLS, so I know what it feels like to lose the brakes completely and just be along for the ride- I didn't think I was going to make it that day.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am sorry to hear of your wreck, im glad you are ok and hope your car has a speedy recovery. However im wanting to learn from your incident so it doesnt happen to me. My abs is long gone on my my '89. Im about to make the move to r6's and want after reading all the posts im still not sure why this happend... i think everyone is being polite and dancing aound the issue. I really mean this in the most sincere way and i just want to learn.

1. Is this a result of driver relying too much on abs and simply was unprepared for a lock up followed by not releasing the brakes so tires could begin moving again and reapplying the brake?
2. From what i gather a failing system might act differently than simply a turned off system?
3. To specifially the op: why are you still using the abs on race tires going as fast as you are, i would think it would benifit to learn to have better brake control. Do any GT cars use abs in real races? I would assume the only answer would be i dont want to risk it, but still bouncing off the abs every braking zone is never making a better driver (isnt that what we all strive for?)
4. When previous posters refer to pumping the brake you mean releasing the tires, not building pressure in a faulty system?

Once again im sorry this happened and im hoping it all gets sorted out, im hoping i can learn from this like you and avoid the costly wreck.

Quick Reply: ABS Failure at 140 - Very Exciting