Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken flange mounts on steering rack, common?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Broken flange mounts on steering rack, common?

Two weeks ago in a downpour at NJMSP, my car didn't seem to respond normally to steering inputs. I almost spun and took the car in. After attempting to drive a few more laps over the entire day, (first thought was tires) I just called it quits. I got the car up on jack stands are after looking for hub, tie rod, or related problems, I noticed that the rack moved up 2-3 inches off of the cradle up and down vertically. There are two "flanges" that are bolted to the rack, and both flanges had broken and the bolts were still in place. My question is, is this a common problem with roadracing? I have a stock suspension on an 02 Z06 with 04 Z06 shocks.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yours is the first time I have ever heard of the flanges breaking off the rack. It would take a large hit to snap both of them. Did you have an off track excursion or hit anything that you can remember ??
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I know of this happening to a couple of T1 racers.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:18 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Is it possible the bolts got loose and then (like a slide hammer) caused a fail? I would think you'd feel that in the steering before the fail.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Never heard of them breaking but know the bolts can come loose and fall out. Happened to my 97 after the rack was replaced under warranty. Really weird feeling when you turn the steering wheel and the car lazily responds to the steering input or just keeps going straight. The 97 didn't like turning left but would turn right with no issues.

Bill
Old 10-25-2012, 02:23 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

George, after the cradle is swapped, I have an steel support I can also install for extra strength and make this never happens again. I pulled my cradle out to take a look at it and your all set.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Yours is the first time I have ever heard of the flanges breaking off the rack. It would take a large hit to snap both of them. Did you have an off track excursion or hit anything that you can remember ??
I haven't ever hit anything whle on track. 4 years ago I hit a deer with the front end, but all was repaired and damage was limited to cosmetics.
Originally Posted by Olitho
I know of this happening to a couple of T1 racers.
Thanks for your input, I routinely use rumble strips.
Originally Posted by froggy47
Is it possible the bolts got loose and then (like a slide hammer) caused a fail? I would think you'd feel that in the steering before the fail.

I felt nothng before hand and the bolts are still in there as tight as ever.
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Never heard of them breaking but know the bolts can come loose and fall out. Happened to my 97 after the rack was replaced under warranty. Really weird feeling when you turn the steering wheel and the car lazily responds to the steering input or just keeps going straight. The 97 didn't like turning left but would turn right with no issues.

Bill
It was a very wierd feeling of not turning and just driving straight. Both bolots are still in and intact.
Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
George, after the cradle is swapped, I have an steel support I can also install for extra strength and make this never happens again. I pulled my cradle out to take a look at it and your all set.
Thanks Doug, I trust your shops work completly and thats why I'm back.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken flange mounts on steering rack, common?

Quick Reply: Broken flange mounts on steering rack, common?