Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which shocks should I buy (semi-competitive auto'xer)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Which shocks should I buy (semi-competitive auto'xer)

yes, I know I can search but I havent seen any direct comparos.
99 FRC z51

#1, im cheap as hell. budget racer supreme.

Brand new 04 z06 shocks?
or
used koni yellows (one needs rebuilt)
or
used Koni reds (still 3013 1023/1024 tho)

lets say all are the same price. I DD my car, but I also attend every local autox event. Managed a top5 overall pax this wkd out of 96 so I take it semi seriously. I will likely not attend many if any regional or nat events.
I also run on used R Comps and have a c6z51 front sway (considering a strano bar)
Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm a big fan of the used Pfadt single adjustable inverted shocks I picked up.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:48 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I would talk to Sam Strano. Then buy the Koni's from him. A lot of folks are running those. What I'm going to eventually. I'm cheap too...
Old 11-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Alludc
Pro

appreciate the comments, but the 3 choices are in my post...
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Alludc
yes, I know I can search but I havent seen any direct comparos.
99 FRC z51

#1, im cheap as hell. budget racer supreme.

Brand new 04 z06 shocks?
or
used koni yellows (one needs rebuilt)
or
used Koni reds (still 3013 1023/1024 tho)

lets say all are the same price. I DD my car, but I also attend every local autox event. Managed a top5 overall pax this wkd out of 96 so I take it semi seriously. I will likely not attend many if any regional or nat events.
I also run on used R Comps and have a c6z51 front sway (considering a strano bar).
Door number 2, door, number 2!!!!!

You really have only two choices.. The Koni red shocks aren't racing shocks, they are a good street shock and aren't what you want at all...

The stock 04 Z shocks are ok, but not adjustable and you are getting to the skill level were having some adjustment is going to be an advantage.

The used Koni sports are the best choice by far. With them you can get to a National level of performance, which the other two choices just can't do.

Assuming you already have a serious alignment, get the one shock rebuilt, set the rears at about 1/3 from full soft and the fronts a bit tighter, close to 1/2 hard and drive like you stole it.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

rumor has it 04z shocks are some of the best production shocks made. But that doesn't stop people that want to spend money.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
rumor has it 04z shocks are some of the best production shocks made. But that doesn't stop people that want to spend money.
True, but you can get essentially the same valving with Bilstein sports, and they last longer than the stock shocks and cost less too. No reason to spend the money for the 04 z shocks if you don't want adjustable shocks.

With autocross you are running different surfaces, different speed ranges and different courses all the time, it's never the same any two weekends. Having a bit of adjustment lets you fine tune the setup and since every hundredth of a second is a big deal in autocross, you can just get that little bit more out of an adjustable shock.

And yes, you have to learn to tune it and learn exactly how much to change to get the desired effect, and obtw, you need to do it quickly between runs and you may not get it perfect, but it will be a lot better than being stuck with one shock setting and not being able to do anything about it if the car isn't working.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Alludc
Pro

I dont think that im at the point yet where lll be comfortable making changes to the car during my runs, as I cant necessarily describe/understand whats going on throughout my runs. Thats why I wasnt sure if I wanted to go Adj or not yet. Being that I typically race at 3 different sites throughout each month....I figured id maybe play with the adjustments at the different locations since they are wildly different as far as surface goes. Then as I get more comfortable with what the changes do Id be able to play with them during an event.

That being said, I still have a feeling I wanted to pickup these 04z shocks, but Ill likely end up with the Yellows.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:21 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Hey Solofast:

The red Konis with the 3013 - 1023/1024 part numbers, to my knowledge, was their sport valving. That's what I had for a while on my C5 Z06. If memory serves me correctly - the valving may have changed when it went to an inverted construction - and the internal pressure was lowered.

All the above subject to memory.

From your buddy in Michigan.

OP - are the yellows an inverted construction?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:25 AM
nightstalker865
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DRM Bilsteins. $475 for a fantastic shock. If you ever do decide to up the spring rates on the car they can revalve them for you.

http://dougrippie.com/products/c6-corvette/drm-valved-bilstein-shocks-for-c6z/

Last edited by nightstalker865; 11-23-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Which shocks should I buy (semi-competitive auto'xer)

Quick Reply: Which shocks should I buy (semi-competitive auto'xer)