Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firebird Raceway in Phoenix closing

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Firebird Raceway in Phoenix closing

CHANDLER, Ariz. -- Firebird International Raceway has officially announced that this season will be its last.

After 30 years of hosting an array of auto enthusiast events like the NHRA Arizona Nationals, the Mello Yello Drag Racing, the Checkered Flag Run and Monster Truck Shows, racetrack officials say they will not extend or renew the track's property lease with the Gila River Indian Reservation.

With this season being its last, the president and owner of Firebird Raceway, Charlie Allen, says they have planned an exciting last season with events like the return of the Lucas Oil Division 7 Double Header, where they expect over 400 cars to participate, NHRA Arizona Nationals, the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series, and the NAPA Auto Parts Firebird Final Event Spectacular.

The final event will include the appearance of the popular 60-foot high mechanical dinosaur, Robosaurus.

When asked if Firebird Raceway plans to build another track elsewhere, Allen says they are not planning on it and he does not know what will happen with the property they are now on.

"It's been one heck or a ride," he said.

The racetrack opened its doors to auto racing enthusiasts in 1982.

Allen says their main focus from here on out is to deliver an outstanding final season for fans.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 PM
cwikstro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, that is really too bad. I recently purchased my future retirement home about 10 minutes from the track and had planned on spending a lot of time there. Was planning on trying the road course, maybe the strip too. It is several years away for me, but now I will have to find a new hobby!

I went to see the drag boats in November and that was cool too.

Anyone know if this will effect Bondurant school there? that is a great place too.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cwikstro
Wow, that is really too bad. I recently purchased my future retirement home about 10 minutes from the track and had planned on spending a lot of time there. Was planning on trying the road course, maybe the strip too. It is several years away for me, but now I will have to find a new hobby!

I went to see the drag boats in November and that was cool too.

Anyone know if this will effect Bondurant school there? that is a great place too.
An update I saw yesterday seemed to indicate the drag strip would operate a little longer. You probably ought to give them a call to get definitive info. I saw the drag boats there one time and it was beyond awesome to see and hear the top fuelers do their thing!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

That might not be the entire story...
Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rumor has it that the road course may be taken over by Bonduraunt, but NHRA would NOT work with the indian tribe. Bonduraunt is not interested in running a drag strip. For those not being from here, there are 4 courses at this facility; Bonduraunt, Main, West and East tracks, plus a skid pad used by SCCA solo autocross events.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:48 AM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firebird, the name will go away. The tracks will not....at least for now.

Lucas oil may be the new ownership or lessors.

Get notified of new replies

To Firebird Raceway in Phoenix closing

Quick Reply: Firebird Raceway in Phoenix closing