Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

almost failed my physical... bp

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default almost failed my physical... bp

Getting my physical for race season and pinged a 156/94 blood pressure! I knew I was going to be on the high side but not like that... so they let me sit in a dark room for a while and after a while I got it to 126/76. Pheww. That makes me wonder if that was that high just regular walking around what is it in a car blasting around a track and adrenaline pumping. Im wondering how their are not more heart attacks in the drivers seat. I bet if you monitored mine all the time you would see some outrageous numbers.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

i have a heart rate chest monitor that hooks up via blutooth to my smart phone that I use when working out. I'm gonna try it while out on track to see how high it goes and compare it to other activities.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I almost failed mine last year, they had a doctor at the track doing them and he brought a really hot nurse with him, and she took the pressure.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had mine taken after a off-shore boat accident years back. Boat rolled and ejected both of us. They ask if I was in the accident because my BP near normal.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

For it to drop so much, I would wonder if you have an anxiety thing with drs/nurses. For your own benefit I would pick up a "home" monitor & ck it every once in a while just to establish a base.

Mine is always low.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

The human body can take a lot. I had a heart monitor on me at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the mid 80's and during qualifying they told my crew chief to call me in because I was having a heart attack. He told them the radio was not in the car. By the time they had me black flagged qualifying was over.

Afterwards they agreed they had never tested a race car driver and they were only there to monitor. During the race my heart beat got up to 208-210 several times. I don't know what blood pressure was. Air temp was 102, track temp was about 135. This was before power steering and driving through the banking was very strenuous!

The testers went on to test me at several other tracks and beats per minute never got above 195.

Jim
Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

After my wreck at Road Atlanta in 2011, they told me that I was one of the most calm people they had ever seen in the doctor office that had just hit the wall at over 100 mph. My blood pressure was very normal and they were very surprised considering what had just happened.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I find amazing are the people who think that auto racing isn't a sport. I've heard comments that its not physical like football or baseball. LOL
Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the whole test was odd and I didnt think I was nervous.... back 4 years ago I would donate plasma and when I started my bp was boarder line high. Then summer rolled around I cut out a ton of salt in my diet and began a very strenuous exercise regimin. By end of summer I was boarderline low... this just makes me not want to ever go to the doctor and be a crotchety old man at age 26....
Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask them to check the BP before the prostate. (Sorry man couldnt help it)

btw I have had a couple high readings at the Dr office, I bought a meter and tracked it, all is good. My situation was most likely related to getting tight about traffic and receptions long list or redundant questions. Situation and personality has a lot to do with BP.

Last edited by Crepitus; 01-06-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
For it to drop so much, I would wonder if you have an anxiety thing with drs/nurses. For your own benefit I would pick up a "home" monitor & ck it every once in a while just to establish a base.

Mine is always low.
White coat syndrome. I have it big time, my numbers drop like crazy even in the 45 minutes I'm in doctors office. Something about hospitals my body hates.
Find a doctor that you are comfortable around will help!!!

Randy
Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

You guys scared of a surprise prostate exam or something?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
You guys scared of a surprise prostate exam or something?
I grew up with my mom in the hospital for long periods of time and way too often. She has crohn's disease. I spent many of hours with worry in the hospital. Somethings I guess haven't changed much. My wife had a wart on her foot to get frozen off, sitting in the waiting room my palms were sweaty

Dental work, no problem besides falling a sleep in the chair. Yes I took a nap during a root canal. The doc was shocked, I trust him, warm room, nothing to do, and lighter wallet.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To almost failed my physical... bp

Quick Reply: almost failed my physical... bp