Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CoTA Event with TDE - my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default CoTA Event with TDE - my thoughts

So I managed to get one of the Day 1 slots, and won't be driving tomorrow, so here's my take on the event, facility, etc.

The folks from CoTA who were at the track today were nothing less than gracious, friendly hosts. Apparently it was an issue of upper management not being familiar with track day events, and their on-site management trying to work with TDE to convince upper management that this not a bunch of Lemons cars running around dropping mufflers, random nuts and bolts, etc. We dealt with their on-site folks today, and they were awesome! I didn't get to meet any of the upper management folks, but supposedly they were walking around checking things out.

We had rain overnight and fog this morning, so the track was wet through the morning. The track had a surprising amount of wet grip. Over lunch and through the afternoon, the track continued to dry, making things faster but more treacherous at the same time. Put a tire into the damp areas through the Ess's, and you'd better hold on.

The hill going into 1 is a LOT steeper than it looks when you're on track. Apex of 1 to Apex of 2 is wicked, because you're off camber the whole way, crossing the crown of the track switching sides. Lots of blind corners - either the apex is blind (3 and 10), or the track out is blind (9 and 10).

The surface is amazing - wide, grippy, and as smooth as one of those polished concrete indoor karting tracks.

Simply put - it's the track we all wish we could drive on every weekend. Wide, smooth, fast, technical, and all that wrapped up with amazing support facilities and a very friendly staff. Does it cost more to run there than other tracks? Definitely. But you get a lot for the money. Better organized, better staffed, better site security, and again, just awesome facilities. You can sign me up now if they let TDE run there again.

I've got several in car videos from the day from my SmartyCam and just realized my editing software is not on the laptop. I'll post the Youtube links tomorrow when I get home.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for write-up.
I'm on the wait-list for next month but really don't have much of a chance unless there are several drop outs.
Maybe someday I'll get there. I was there for the F1 and turn one looks badass.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turn 1 is fun because you can brake so much later than every fiber of your being says you should. Then followed by a bit of frustration because you want to go charging down the hill through 2 into 3 but just can't because of the off camber layout.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there today and will drive tomorrow as well. I can second turn one. First time I came flying into it I broke way too soon and had to accelerate back up to get up the hill. It's very deceptive, you don't have to brake until really late and you have to force yourself to not brake.

I second everything Z51 said, analysis is spot on. I was also taken back about how many blind corners and apexes. Do not be on the wrong line through the Esses, you will either eat it pushing a bad position or loose so much time it'll take you laps to make it up.

Worth every penny, just wish it would stop raining.

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To CoTA Event with TDE - my thoughts

Quick Reply: CoTA Event with TDE - my thoughts