Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Point crash...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Summit Point crash...

I heard there was a crash at Summit Point in the past couple of days. Driver and instructor were evacuated. Driver all right, but instructor has some problems. Don't know much more than that.

Anyone with more solid info?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I heard, at a FATT this past Friday, driver swerved to avoid an object on the front straight, and the car ended up over the outside wall. Those are all the details I know.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I found on another forum...

"All I will say about the condition of those involved is that the driver is physically fine, and that the instructor has a long way to go to recover. THAT IS ALL I WILL SAY ABOUT HIS CONDITION OUT OF RESPECT FOR HIM AND HIS FAMILY'S PRIVACY. PERIOD."
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

One of the reasons why I hate instructing..
Old 04-03-2013, 06:00 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going there late April. I hear a lot about animals on track. Was that it in this case?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I am going there late April. I hear a lot about animals on track. Was that it in this case?
I'm willing to bet this was probably the case (however it may not be). Having driven Summit a million times, for a car to go over that wall is shocking and I hope the instructor recovers.

now about animals at summit, they are more rare than you are lead to believe. Yes, there are animals and sometimes they decide to run across the track at unwise moments, but its far from a nature preserve. I think you and your car will be just fine
Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Don't they brief to take them out at the driver's meeting? The running joke at one of the local tracks here is the fluctuation in prarie dog population between the beginning of the season and the end.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

It is certainly respectful to leave names out of this conversation, but if anyone knows anything about the accident and general damage/injuries done, I think sharing with those of us that risk our lives weekend after weekend is certainly warranted.

I haven't been to Summit in over 10 years, but if something happens that is likely to happen again, please share as you feel is appropriate.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I haven't been to Summit in over 10 years, but if something happens that is likely to happen again, please share as you feel is appropriate.
It was car debris and driver error, not something specific to Summit Point. Could have happened at any track, with any car, etc.

jas
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

It is certainly respectful to leave names out of this conversation, but if anyone knows anything about the accident and general damage/injuries done, I think sharing with those of us that risk our lives weekend after weekend is certainly warranted.

I would be interested if safety equipment or lack of equipment played a role in the injuries..
I'm in the transition of moving from a "track/street" car to a full caged car because accidents do happen that are out of our control. I made my decision to be safer because of hearing of these occurrences and learning from them.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

After a couple of years of close calls and oh-**** moments in the passengers seat (mostly mechanical issues), we took a vote at my house and we all decided that instructing wasn't worth the risk.
Even with a 99.9% chance of nothing happening, that .01% chance could be devastating to my family (assuming they actually do like me ).
Old 04-04-2013, 01:17 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
After a couple of years of close calls and oh-**** moments in the passengers seat (mostly mechanical issues), we took a vote at my house and we all decided that instructing wasn't worth the risk.
Even with a 99.9% chance of nothing happening, that .01% chance could be devastating to my family (assuming they actually do like me ).
I don't blame you one bit, if you ride a horse long enough sooner or later he will throw you. I don't know how you guys do it..
Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jvp
It was car debris and driver error, not something specific to Summit Point. Could have happened at any track, with any car, etc.

jas
ah... well that is something complete different.....
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 04-04-2013, 03:42 PM
athornt2
Intermediate

Found another thread talking about the wreck. There is a picture attached of the mustang that crashed.... looks pretty rough.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-vid-pics.html
Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by athornt2
Found another thread talking about the wreck. There is a picture attached of the mustang that crashed.... looks pretty rough.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-vid-pics.html
I hope the instructor recovers

Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM
r.hillenbrand
******RETIRED ARMY******
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Sorry, to hear about this. Hope everyone is going to be OK. I know most of the NASA weekend instructors there. Was thinking of becoming one myself but this makes you think differently. Going to be there at the end of this month.

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Point crash...

Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Apparently a pole impaled the instructor from below in a very bad way after the car flipped several times.

It was a poor error but a novice error - and very bad luck for the instructor. The car went through significant layers of track safety.

I just completed the NASA Instructor Clinic at VIR. I have not 100% decided but I think that was enough for me.

My friend Paul has instructed countless times. I think I would much rather preach safety equipment (brake pads) in the paddock rather then have that helpless feeling in the right seat.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Apparently a pole impaled the instructor from below in a very bad way after the car flipped several times.

It was a poor error but a novice error - and very bad luck for the instructor. The car went through significant layers of track safety.

I just completed the NASA Instructor Clinic at VIR. I have not 100% decided but I think that was enough for me.

My friend Paul has instructed countless times. I think I would much rather preach safety equipment (brake pads) in the paddock rather then have that helpless feeling in the right seat.
What turn, group/session, what error, what debris? Always good to learn. I feel safest on the straight before the braking zone so, without shifting, I wonder how that could have been an issue. Sounds like maybe an un-smooth jerk of the wheel at high speed to avoid a piece of debris.

Hope the instructor is ok. I owe my DE's to one of those guys; I didn't get much out of my first NCM VIR.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:03 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

It's happened there before. Twice over the years, I've seen cars leave the track at Summit Point, and the Corvette I crewed on in the 80's, came real close to leaving it.

At the 87 IMSA GTO race, a Camaro (I think it was Jack Baldwin's Peerless Racing Camaro), literally went out of the track at turn 5 (the hard left hander, that leads into the Carousel). He was coming downhill into 5, when a slower car pulled in front of him. His car launched over the back of the other car, and cart wheeled up the hill on the left, and disappeared into the trees. Fortunately, the driver climbed out unhurt.

There use to be a flag station just past start/finish, on the inside of the track. During a Trans-Am or IMSA race, somehow a car crashed just after cresting the hill on the main straight, after crossing start/finish. The car roll and came right through the flag station. The corner workers were both injured, and had to be air lifted to the hospital. I don't recall that their injuries were life threatening, and one of them might have been back at the track, the next day.

We crashed our Corvette, at turn 1 in 1984. Coming into 1, it blew out a brake caliper seal, sending the car off the track on the left. It didn't completely leave, but all of the boulders and saplings that lined the track, tore the car up a lot worse than it would have been, at most other tracks. Then again, the boulders and saplings, may have been the only thing that kept him from leaving the track!

Quick Reply: Summit Point crash...