Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake duct kit that will work with 315 front tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Front brake duct kit that will work with 315 front tires?

I am upgrading my brakes on my SCCA SSM autox car. It is a 2002 C5 Z06 with an LS3 swap. I am adding the DRM SS pistons, braided SS lines, an fluid swap. I was looking at adding some ducting but I would need something that would clear my race tires. I am running 315 Hoosier A6's on OEM 18x10.5 Z05 rear wheels on the front. Does anyone know what will fit ?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't actually need brake ducts on an auto-x car do you? I didn't have them on my time trial car and they were fine for 20+ min sessions, with the setup you have.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never had an issue at autox events, but at the last Evo school, Jr and I were running the car hard, with back to back runs on full non-DOT slicks and at one point the brakes just completely went away, ending my runs in that session. Later they have come back, but still feel a bit less than they were. That is why I am doing a refurb on them. I have replaced the rotor and added HPS Hawk pads before this season, but still have the OEM lines and whatever fluid was in the car when I got it 2yrs ago
Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah, right, you need to use lower temp pads.
I don't think you will be happy unless you fab something due to the steering angles that you see. I would go with a pair of bilge blowers (3-4" circular fans) up front, guessing that the rears should be fine. You can find these used, from NASCAR teams on the auction site.
You can either fab spindle ducts or buy the Quantum units (I think they have the best duct location). You want air at the center of the rotor and/or at the caliper.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I use the Quantum brake duct kit with my Stoptech ST60s, I believe it is a Z06 kit, with Doug Rippie ABS sections up front that fit to the inner fender wells. I have used both 315 and 320 tires on the front.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually working through this right now for my front 315's (DRM ducts w/ quantum spindle kit). My next event is this weekend so I can let you know how it goes.

FYI, learn from my mistakes and don't try using just the high temp hose... this is what it looks like after just a couple laps:

Name:  Phktf32.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  94.2 KB
Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the car up in the air now...will snap a pic and post it tomorrow....

Get notified of new replies

To Front brake duct kit that will work with 315 front tires?

Quick Reply: Front brake duct kit that will work with 315 front tires?