Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Hoosier Help

I bought new A6's, ran 3 track days on them, and my front right tire is almost corded. Heading to ACS in September, and don't want to run 156 mph on this tire for obvious reasons.

I can't seem to find a 4-6 heat cycled hoosier, so would you buy 2 new a6's for the front and run the older rears? I dont want to spend another $1700 for all 4 AND dont have room in my garage for another set.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Talk to Jon Berget (JB Tires) or Todd (GT racing tires). They both sell hoosier scrubs for about $100 each and generally have 3-5 heat cycles on them.

Jon Berget 262-740-0180
Todd 414-350-6303
Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

was the outside edge corded? maybe from not enough neg camber
Old 08-21-2013, 09:12 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
Talk to Jon Berget (JB Tires) or Todd (GT racing tires). They both sell hoosier scrubs for about $100 each and generally have 3-5 heat cycles on them.

Jon Berget 262-740-0180
Todd 414-350-6303
Both great to deal with.

If you took off the oiutside edge, you need more neg camber.
If only one tire, maybe you need a good alignment.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
was the outside edge corded? maybe from not enough neg camber

Exactly, when I get my tire I'm getting camber adjusted, and got pfadt camber plates.

Originally Posted by taken19

Jon Berget 262-740-0180
Todd 414-350-6303
I will call him!

Originally Posted by db2xpert
Both great to deal with.

If you took off the oiutside edge, you need more neg camber.
If only one tire, maybe you need a good alignment.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:25 AM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by savaGe
Exactly, when I get my tire I'm getting camber adjusted, and got pfadt camber plates.

I will call him!

Savage, are you in SD? I just had an alignment done at Clarence Brown Alignment yesterday with by Shawn and he was very knowledgeable. He installed the PFADT camber kit for me during the alignment as well. I looked around for a while for a good alignment shop in town so hopefully this will save you some time.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:45 AM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dapopa9
Savage, are you in SD? I just had an alignment done at Clarence Brown Alignment yesterday with by Shawn and he was very knowledgeable. He installed the PFADT camber kit for me during the alignment as well. I looked around for a while for a good alignment shop in town so hopefully this will save you some time.
I am in s.d. Did they add negative camber with the plates as well? Looking for a good race set up. Got a company I spoke to up in santee, roger Daniels alignment.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

What size? I have 2 315/18s lots of life but 09 date. $200 shipped
Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM
autoxer6
Racer

I would flip the tire on the wheel and keep running it with your higher camber set up.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:38 AM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

I am in s.d. Did they add negative camber with the plates as well? Looking for a good race set up. Got a company I spoke to up in santee, roger Daniels alignment.
Yeah i gave them specific settings i was looking and they were able to get it very close to what I was wanting. Also when I came back to pickup the car he took the time to
Put the car back on the lift and show me all the adjustments, plates, and shims he had installed
Old 08-22-2013, 11:57 AM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I may be wrong but shouldn't you have gotten the R6's for track days. I think the A6 (autocross) tires have a different set up and will ware funny and quicker because of the temp you would be getting to.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L98Terror
What size? I have 2 315/18s lots of life but 09 date. $200 shipped
i think i need a more recent date. thx though.

Originally Posted by autoxer6
I would flip the tire on the wheel and keep running it with your higher camber set up.
yes , i was going to do that, but I have the camber plates and planned on getting alignment with neg camber. I don't want to mess the other tires up. I will end up flipping the other 3 tires.

Originally Posted by dapopa9
Yeah i gave them specific settings i was looking and they were able to get it very close to what I was wanting. Also when I came back to pickup the car he took the time to
Put the car back on the lift and show me all the adjustments, plates, and shims he had installed
i like that, i loike looking at the work they did. Did they use the jacking pucks to get it on the lift?

Originally Posted by amlarson2001
I may be wrong but shouldn't you have gotten the R6's for track days. I think the A6 (autocross) tires have a different set up and will ware funny and quicker because of the temp you would be getting to.
If i was racing for money and a trophy I'd buy the R's. I had the A's heat cycled at the factory so they would last a longer and be more consistent.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

If i was racing for money and a trophy I'd buy the R's. I had the A's heat cycled at the factory so they would last a longer and be more consistent.
Most would actually say the exact opposite A6's are softer so they wear faster. You use them to turn quick laps off the bat in situations where tire wear does not matter like using a set of sticker A6's just to make it through 1 race. R6's will heat cycle out long before you cord them. Just decrease pressure and you can keep on running them. I've gotten 6+ track day out of a set of R6's and still had rubber left on them

Last edited by Werks; 08-22-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:13 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

i like that, i loike looking at the work they did. Did they use the jacking pucks to get it on the lift?
Yeah I really like to see what is going on since I'm quite **** with my cars. So it was nice to see everything. He even went over all the torque specs with me for what he used on each bolt and actually used a hand(non-powered) torque wrench (unlike most shops it seems who torque the hell out of everything with air ratchets)

They have a pretty cool setup for jacking the cars up and can do it a few different ways since they have a sunk floor for the work area. looks like they had pucks for the side jack points but on the front they used some steel arms that swung out and pushed up on the beam(not sure of what is called) that is under the engine.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

What size do you need?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Werks
Most would actually say the exact opposite A6's are softer so they wear faster. You use them to turn quick laps off the bat in situations where tire wear does not matter like using a set of sticker A6's just to make it through 1 race. R6's will heat cycle out long before you cord them. Just decrease pressure and you can keep on running them. I've gotten 6+ track day out of a set of R6's and still had rubber left on them
wow, I spoke to 4 people before I bought my A's who said the exact opposite from what you just said. Maybe ill try some R's next time and see for myself. I still don't know if Milk is good for me or not.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Werks
Are you running at infinion and L.S? what Tire pressures you start cold at with those R's?

Originally Posted by sperkins
What size do you need?
315/18 , i spoke to Todd and he has one for me that will "last a weekend". What do you have?

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier Help

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

wow, I spoke to 4 people before I bought my A's who said the exact opposite from what you just said. Maybe ill try some R's next time and see for myself. I still don't know if Milk is good for me or not.
It's possible that they would say that but I think that what you are going to find is that it is mostly autocross people that run A's or people racing that do not care about tire budgets and want as much grip as possible from the start or people running in really cold climates. Harder compounds take longer to come up to temp but also wear less, hence the comment about R's lasting loner. My home track is Thunderhill up in N. CA and just about everyone here on Hoosiers runs R's. As far as tire pressures I'm running slicks now but I used to start off around 28psi cold with my R6's and would bleed down when hot to end up around 34f, 32r. My buddy runs them at slightly lower around 31f, 29r. You are going to find that with Hoosiers there are two camps, the run high pressure i.e. 38psi+ hot and the run low pressure 30-34psi hot camp. You are going to have to play around and see what works for you best. Also the same target pressures should work at Laguna.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I recommend R6s to all of my competitors.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:27 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Anyone that would recommend a A6 for lapping days is a assclown or has deep pockets

Those 09 dated A6s are only about 1-2 sec slower a lap (from new), you would not be able to notice that unless you are timing laps, in a HPDE setting there is no difference.

Quick Reply: Hoosier Help