Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch pedal feels like is binding coming up???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:39 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default clutch pedal feels like is binding coming up???

have a new tick master/ katech tilton slave and katech clutch. i put on around 20 miles on this setup and it drove flawless.

I now drove it a 2nd time but it feels like the clutch gets hung up when coming up as in stuck or bound, when the car is off the hydraulics feel great, but as soon as the motor is started and i go to release clutch the pedal gets stuck and then pops up the rest of the way also making sorta a screetching noise when pedal is pumped up and down with engine running.

it is not due to bad hydraulic pressure as pedal feel is great.

I do not have the helper spring in the clutch pedal and cant find the one i took out to put back in. any ideas???

i was going to try the helper clutch pedal spring but not sure that is root problem
Old 09-07-2013, 08:53 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

If I understand it correctly, the spring (OEM) design works to assist holding the pedal down AND to return it back up somehow with a clever spring design.

I would start with putting it back in.

I have always had mine in.

When I started getting the pedal stuck down issue I added the Lingenfilter pedal kit which is a simple spring & hardware to pull the pedal up.

Makes the pedal stiffer but not that bad.

Not sure about the noise? That would concern me most.

Did you replace all the other clutch job stuff or just what is mentioned?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:56 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

All clutch stuff been replaced recently.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:20 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the exact same symptoms with my quartermaster clutch after installing it the first time. After a few events it was jerky on the release. The cause was me installing a flexplate that was not to spec (too thick). So I would make sure all the correct tolerances and parts were used for the installation. Also make sure your master is set correctly and you have a clutch pedal stop so you don't over extend the throw out bearing.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Did you do the job?

Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Yes i did the job and everything was fine and dandy after 1 drive of the car then this next time i go to drive and it is doing this.

setup is katech ls9x clutch
tick master
Katech tilton slave cylinder.

Katech clutch has been in car for overa 1000 miles so know that isnt issue.

Last edited by dvandentop; 09-07-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Does it shift thru the gears good with the motor off?

Where does it seem the noise is coming from?

I would call Tick and/or Katech tomorrow & see if they have a guy who knows vette installations.

Last edited by froggy47; 09-08-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:38 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

just re read tick install instructions, it says the spring is not used with their master so that bypasses using that.

going adjust the pedal adjustment rod according to their process and go from there to see if i can get it to work.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by dvandentop
just re read tick install instructions, it says the spring is not used with their master so that bypasses using that.

going adjust the pedal adjustment rod according to their process and go from there to see if i can get it to work.
Keep us posted.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:58 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by froggy47
Keep us posted.

got under car had wife pump clutch and could deffinately tell the squeeking noise coming from slave area, sprayed up some WD40 in there and squeek went away and seems to be smooth as butter now on clutch return. drove good through the gears now when it was on jackstands so will do test drive later. thing we have sucess.... not sure why it would have gotten bound up on there?????
Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by dvandentop
got under car had wife pump clutch and could deffinately tell the squeeking noise coming from slave area, sprayed up some WD40 in there and squeek went away and seems to be smooth as butter now on clutch return. drove good through the gears now when it was on jackstands so will do test drive later. thing we have sucess.... not sure why it would have gotten bound up on there?????
It would be good to figure out what the WD was lubricating and if there is a clearance or rub issue, the WD won't get you very far once you track it IMO.

If there was a rub/clearance going on with slave moving parts then that would translate to the pedal (not returning) I think.

At least it's narrowed down now.

Good work.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:11 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by froggy47
It would be good to figure out what the WD was lubricating and if there is a clearance or rub issue, the WD won't get you very far once you track it IMO.

If there was a rub/clearance going on with slave moving parts then that would translate to the pedal (not returning) I think.

At least it's narrowed down now.

Good work.

will test drive a few times this week and see how it goes, not sure if something would have gotten rusty up in there or what the deal is.

Get notified of new replies

To clutch pedal feels like is binding coming up???

Quick Reply: clutch pedal feels like is binding coming up???