Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First HPDE event on Monday!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:34 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Default First HPDE event on Monday!

Hi Guys,

I've been looking forward to doing this forever, but I finally have the opportunity to attend Hooked on Driving HPDE @ Autobahn next week! In prepping the car, I'm changing the oil and brake fluid, I topped off the transmission fluid, and I just replaced the radiator this past weekend with a Dewitts dual-core. I was wondering if anyone has any good tips/advice for a first timer? It would be much appreciated!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:12 PM
0JDP Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
Hi Guys,

I've been looking forward to doing this forever, but I finally have the opportunity to attend Hooked on Driving HPDE @ Autobahn next week! In prepping the car, I'm changing the oil and brake fluid, I topped off the transmission fluid, and I just replaced the radiator this past weekend with a Dewitts dual-core. I was wondering if anyone has any good tips/advice for a first timer? It would be much appreciated!
Get out there and have fun!!! I would use the first event to get familiar with the car in a track environment and work on your line. It is a ton of fun and it can be very addicting.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 09-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
Hi Guys,

Awesome! Have a great time. You'll smile for days.

Oh, one more thing. Say goodbye to ANY disposable income you think you'll have anytime in the foreseeable future.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Listen to your instructors and enjoy, Eric and the guys over there are good. First time out take it all in and have a good (safe) time.

I wish I was going out, I still haven't run the full Autobahn course only half.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:30 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Make sure your rotors and brake pads have at least 50% life left. Wouldn't hurt to get track pads (e.g., Carbotech XP10s), but probably not necessary if this is your first time on a track. You will likely spend the first day learning "the line" around the track. Watching video of others running the track before and after your first day can be very helpful. Even just remembering the order of turns (e.g., turn 1 is a right hander, turn 2 is left, etc.) is very helpful. Don't be afraid to call out the turns as you go through them on track to help remember where you are.

Most of all, be safe and have fun!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:39 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Make sure your rotors and brake pads have at least 50% life left. Wouldn't hurt to get track pads (e.g., Carbotech XP10s), but probably not necessary if this is your first time on a track. You will likely spend the first day learning "the line" around the track. Watching video of others running the track before and after your first day can be very helpful. Even just remembering the order of turns (e.g., turn 1 is a right hander, turn 2 is left, etc.) is very helpful. Don't be afraid to call out the turns as you go through them on track to help remember where you are.

Most of all, be safe and have fun!
Thanks! Hooked on driving has posted a video of the full track on youtube and I've been watching it. I got to do about 8 parade laps on Autobahn a few months ago, but it was only part of the 3.6 mile track. My rotors and pads are about 6 months old, so I should be in good shape!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:55 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You may also want to get some painters tape to put on your front bumper, rocker panels and behind your wheel wells if you want to keep the paint from getting black rubber smears from bits of tire spraying up. The rubber smears are relatively easy to wipe off, but a bit of a pain.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:56 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Listen to your instructor like he was God. Sometimes the places he has you braking and turning may not seem like the right places because you're used to street driving. Trust me. HE'S right - he's been there, done that.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:04 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by s'noJob
Listen to your instructor like he was God. Sometimes the places he has you braking and turning may not seem like the right places because you're used to street driving. Trust me. HE'S right - he's been there, done that.

Will do! I'm fortunate enough to have Rich Anderson as my instructor. Rich is a forum member that I bought parts off of a few years back and used to race for Corvette back in the early 80's! Any wisdom he has to share I'm all ears
Old 10-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Change in plans, I'll be out there. If you see my black C5Z come over and say hi.

Get notified of new replies

To First HPDE event on Monday!

Quick Reply: First HPDE event on Monday!