Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seat upgrade advice

Hi guys, I'm probably in the same position that a LOT of you have been in when you got the addiction for track time, so I wanted some brief advice before I go down any path.

I'm at a point doing HPDE where my stock C6 seats are simply not cutting it. I'm on somewhat of a budget where I don't want to overpay for just my driver seat.

What should I expect to pay new for parts to have a decent seat with all the accessories? 4 or 5 point harness advice for HPDE level track time? Swap in and out with stock seat between events every few weeks? Driver side only or both? Advice on buying used anywhere?

Thanks much in advance for any advice!
Dan
Old 10-13-2013, 10:36 AM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm getting an OMP ARS, with brackets, side mounts, a sharkbar for the harness and a few odds n ends - everything included its going to run me about ~ $1000 or there about.. you could get a cheaper seat, do the install yourself and lower that by a couple of hundred bucks..
Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 AM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Just a note of advice- you need to get equal seats for both driver and passenger, or you will have a hard time getting an instructor to get into your car.

You should have equal seats, harnesses, etc. The OMP is a good suggestion- they're inexpensive for an FIA rated seat, cheaper than the Sparco. $1000 for the seat, seat base and harness is about right for a cheaper seat.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:15 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by cleanerPA
Just a note of advice- you need to get equal seats for both driver and passenger, or you will have a hard time getting an instructor to get into your car.

You should have equal seats, harnesses, etc. The OMP is a good suggestion- they're inexpensive for an FIA rated seat, cheaper than the Sparco. $1000 for the seat, seat base and harness is about right for a cheaper seat.
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will look at getting a form-fitting seat for me and a slightly wider seat for the passenger (to allow more flexibility in instructor size).
Old 10-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Figure it this way. If you want the lowest cost non sliding seats you will be looking at either Kirkey or Ultrashield aluminum race seats mounted on Hardbar rails with a harness bar for your shoulder belts and to anchor the seat backs. Approximate costs are:

Ultrashield Pro Road Race Seat:17 in :20 Degree Layback Full Cover Black $413.95 ea x 2 = $827.90

(Kirkeys will run about $100 more but there is little difference between the two brands.)

Hardbar Seat Rails Plain: $365.00 ea x 2 = $730.00

Shark Bar (sits the harness bar lower and further to the rear than the Hardbar thus providing a better angle for the shoulder belts and use of a HANS device. Order without the belt retainers as you will need to fasten a seat brace to the bar. Use Shaft Collars to keep the belts from sliding.

Shark Bar: $425 + $190 for pre drilled interior Quarter Panels (save your originals) = $615.00.

I/O Port Quick Adjust Seat Braces: $99.95 x 2 = $199.90

G Force 6 Point Polyester Pull Up Harness set: $150.00 x 2 = $300.00

Total will be $2673.00 Plus shipping and incidentals like the shaft collars.

Sub belts and lap belts would be fastened to the seat rails using clip on belt ends and floor mount eye bolts mounted in the seat rails.

If you have a car with the VCIM module mounted under the passenger seat you will need to move it to a spot in front of the glove box and high enough not to be bumped by somebody's feet. See Ray Kawal's write up on installing power seats in pre 2010 wide body cars.

If you are good at welding you can substitute a C5 or C6 passenger side manual seat track for the Hardbar mounts and weld some brackets to them that allow you to side mount the race seats. The advantage of the stock seat track is it will allow the passenger seat to sit high enough to clear the VCIM.

If you want the Sparco or similar seats you will have to add the price differential over the aluminum seats although you can delete the cost of the seat braces although they are still advisable.

If you are large in size the aluminum race seats come in sizes all the way up to 18 inches wide across the hips although it would be difficult getting anything larger than a 17 inch seat in a C6 and impossible in a C5.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-13-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:17 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Bill, that was an exceptional reply to my inquiry. Thanks very much for the information!
Dan
Old 10-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by DannyBoyC6
Bill, that was an exceptional reply to my inquiry. Thanks very much for the information!
Dan
Dan,
It is pretty much what I have in my car. I went through this process about 6 years ago with my C5. I have the Hardbar rails for the driver's seat and a C5 seat track for the passenger side.

I could use the slider on the passenger side to fit various size riders by drilling holes in the I/O port seat brace so I could different seat positions but I found out sliding the seat just causes all sorts of belt adjustment issues. It is bad enough when you get a thin person like a 120 lb lady one time and a 230 lb slob the next time and the sub belt is too loose on one and too tight on the other.

Bill
Old 10-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

If you go with an aluminum seat, get the optional lumbar support. I put it in my Kirkey seat that I just installed and it makes it so much more comfortable over a long run. It pop rivets to the back and goes under the cover.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Keep an eye out for used. Phoenix performance posted up some used sparco seats in red. In the picture they are on sliders
Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

You can save a lot by getting used aluminum seats; I got mine thru Craigslist. The downside is that you will have to be patient, since they don't come up often and especially in the size(s) you want. For example, I got Kirkey road race seats used for $175 and $100 and they were both in great condition.

Even if you spend a bit more, it will be worth it for the added stability. It will be worth a couple of seconds per lap
Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by harrydirty
You can save a lot by getting used aluminum seats; I got mine thru Craigslist. The downside is that you will have to be patient, since they don't come up often and especially in the size(s) you want. For example, I got Kirkey road race seats used for $175 and $100 and they were both in great condition.

Even if you spend a bit more, it will be worth it for the added stability. It will be worth a couple of seconds per lap
Thanks again for the info, guys.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:14 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cleanerPA

Have you actually seen an instructor refuse to get in a Corvette seat?
I have a Recaro FIA with a sliding bracket and it is awesome I also have an OMP and it is heavy garbage. I will get a Pole Position for my passenger since it is a little wider and easier for passengers.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:50 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Wow, two things to say..... Most track event groups require equal equipment for passenger and driver so you may want to wait until you are solo rated before investing. Second, Bill's post is so complete it should be a sticky.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:12 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by jbondfl
Wow, two things to say..... Most track event groups require equal equipment for passenger and driver so you may want to wait until you are solo rated before investing. Second, Bill's post is so complete it should be a sticky.
That was an impressive post, wasn't it!

I am solo rated at both tracks I visit, so I'm good with just one seat for now -- but if / when I do request an instructor, I would be bummed if he was like, "Nah, that's a death trap - get another 5-pt seat and I'll ride along".
Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyBoyC6
That was an impressive post, wasn't it!

I am solo rated at both tracks I visit, so I'm good with just one seat for now -- but if / when I do request an instructor, I would be bummed if he was like, "Nah, that's a death trap - get another 5-pt seat and I'll ride along".
Yes I take everything Bill says in to consideration at least.

I would be very upset and confused if an instructor turned me down because of a stock seat. I haven't even heard of talk like that till now. Maybe its the wild northwest up here but the only thing 425 Motorsports mentioned is that my instructor would "appreciate it."
Old 10-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I don't think any instructor will turn you down because of a stock seat. In most cases I feel safer in the stock seat than I do in a race seat. The belts are never adjusted correctly for the passenger so either the sub belt is too loose or buried so far down between my legs the lap belt won't reach it. Then you start to get into the car and notice the shoulder belts aren't fastened to the harness or roll bar correctly and will loosen with just a strong snap pull.

At least with a stock seat in any car I can be pretty much sure the 3 point belt will fit and the seat can be adjusted so my feet are on the foot pad at the front of the foot well. With a Vette that has power seats I can use the cinch feature to get the belts very tight.

If I have the stock seats in the car when I take passengers for a ride I have them run the seat all the way back, then once they have the belt fastened I put it into cinch mode and from the outside of the car I pull the shoulder belt out and back while feeding the slack into the take up reel until I get the lap belt tight, then I lean over and run the seat forward and keep asking when it hurts really bad. When they are practically squealing I stop. With the bolsters inflated it works pretty well and I don't get as many sick passengers.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-14-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jbondfl
Being solo qualified doesn't mean you will not have an instructor hop in the car for a check ride. The BMW club insurance policy requires all non instructors be given at least a check out ride by an instructor during the event. This could be two laps or it could be several sessions depending on how much the person has slipped (Bad Habits are easy to pick up). In fact they are highly encouraging instructors to give each other check rides so bad habits can be detected and improvement pointers can be given. It is amazing what a different set of eyes, ears and butt nerve endings can detect.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Seat upgrade advice

Old 10-17-2013, 12:40 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Can the stock seat belts be used with most racing seats? Example: I'm looking at a Sparco Corsa seat (floor model for a good price), and may not want to go immediately to a harness bar (Shark Bar) / 5-pt harness if I can drive with the stock seat belt for a bit.
Thanks guys!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:41 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I use the stock belts in my C6Z when I am in the streets but use a 5-point harness on the track. The stock belt works, but is not optimal, as it tends to hang up a bit on the sides of my Kirkey seats. If you are going with a race seat, it probably means you are going fast enough on the track to warrant a harness.

Just my $.02.........
Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by harrydirty
I use the stock belts in my C6Z when I am in the streets but use a 5-point harness on the track. The stock belt works, but is not optimal, as it tends to hang up a bit on the sides of my Kirkey seats. If you are going with a race seat, it probably means you are going fast enough on the track to warrant a harness.

Just my $.02.........
I agree about the safety aspect on the track 100%.

I was just planning on having a shop install the seat (sounds like a bit of a pain in the ***). I was going to buy / install the sharkbar harness myself. That might leave a period of time with the seat installed but no harness.

Quick Reply: Seat upgrade advice