Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on A4 Seats with 5 Point or 6 Point Harness Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:44 PM
GMmuscle86
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advice on A4 Seats with 5 Point or 6 Point Harness Setup

I currently have the Corbeau A4 seats, with Corbeau seat rails and with the submarine hole in my C5 Z06. I'm wanting to put 5 or 6 point harness in the car for Autocrossing and Driver Education events; I would participate in the lower classes for DEs, where a fixed seat back isn't required. I have done quiet a few searches on the forum and internet for the setup I'm looking to do, but don't see any pictures of it. So if someone could post pictures if they have this setup or comment on the setup working or not would be appreciated.

First one concern I do have. With the A4s there is only one hole in the bottom of the seat for the submarine belt(s). Will using a 6 point belt be ok going through the one slot or will I need to use a 5 point belt because of their only being one hole in the seat? I was looking at the Brey Krause R-9115 Lap Belt Mount Kit - C5, however with further researching this kit, it be fine for the lap belts, but it would require me to sit on the submarine belts. This has kind of turned me off to that lap belt mount kit; if this is true that you have to sit on the submarine belts and can't have the submarine belts coming through the bottom of the seat with this kit.

Therefore I'm looking at R-1115 Harness Mount Bar by Brey Krause as I like how I don't have to cut into the interior pieces and is just a bolt in operation. If I ever want to return to stock I could, without having holes in the panels. Depending if I can use a 6 point belt with the seats I have, I would then get the Vetteworks-Hardbar Lap Belt Bar (1997-Current Corvette) along with the Hardbar Lap Belt Bar Stud Extenter to make it work with the Brey Krause Harness Mount Bar. If I can't use a 6 point belt, then I use the same setup except get the Vetteworks C5/C6 Corvette 5-pt Sub Belt Bar in place of the Vetteworks 6 point Lap Belt Bar.

For the seat belts I'm looking to get either the Schroth Profi III 5-Point Racing Harness or
Schroth Profi II 6-Point Racing Harness both would be clip style ends.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

There isn't any real issue with sitting on the sub belts. The purpose of the sub belts is to keep the lap belt in its position across your pelvic bone by opposing the force of the shoulder belts which will tend to pull the lap belt upwards. When you sit on the belts you end up with a situation where the lap and sub belts sort of wrap around your thighs and the sub belts will do their job. An advantage to sitting on the subs is they are much easier to adjust and don't require removing the seat each time you want to adjust them.

Bill
Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 PM
GMmuscle86
Advanced

Thanks Bill, but unfortunately the problem too is that the group I run most of the events with PCA - Chicago region requires that the sub belts come through the seat bottom. They can't even come over the front of the seats for those who don't have the submarine hole.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by GMmuscle86
Thanks Bill, but unfortunately the problem too is that the group I run most of the events with PCA - Chicago region requires that the sub belts come through the seat bottom. They can't even come over the front of the seats for those who don't have the submarine hole.
I agree with the belts over the front of the seat since that defeats the purpose of the sub belt and reduces safety by pulling the lap belt away from the pelvis.

I believe you could get by with a 6 point with only one hole but it depends on how large the hole is. It might be a good idea to go to a race shop and do some trial fitments. I have a local trackside products supplier who supports asphalt and dirt circle track racers and he has helped me do some harness fittings to see which ones I need to order. Of course I do order through him.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-13-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:12 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I run 6 point in C5Z with A4s and Corbeau sliders. The sub belts are anchored on B-K brackets on each corner of the seat. I have had no problems passing any tech with that set-up and I'm not why the PCA folks would object. Honestly, I find the 5-point is more comfortable.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:49 PM
GMmuscle86
Advanced

Originally Posted by PaConehead
I run 6 point in C5Z with A4s and Corbeau sliders. The sub belts are anchored on B-K brackets on each corner of the seat. I have had no problems passing any tech with that set-up and I'm not why the PCA folks would object. Honestly, I find the 5-point is more comfortable.
Do you have any pics of your setup?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Corbeau A4's

Maybe the attachment will help you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Corbeau A4 Install.PDF (153.2 KB, 302 views)

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on A4 Seats with 5 Point or 6 Point Harness Setup

Quick Reply: Advice on A4 Seats with 5 Point or 6 Point Harness Setup