Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Data Logger

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default C7 Data Logger

Chevrolet Announces Corvette Performance Data Recorder

The 2015 Stingray will be the first vehicle in the industry to come equipped with an all-new Performance Data Recorder (PDR) which is a fully-integrated video, audio, and motorsport-inspired system allowing users to record high-definition video complete with telemetry overlays of their driving experiences both on and off the track. Video can be reviewed on the 8-inch touchscreen while parked or downloaded to a computer for sharing.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...data_recorder/
Old 01-06-2014, 01:09 PM
ooldguy93
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On Star called my '08 Cobalt SS back, several times, while at a track day at Road America ( in the rain ), asking what was going on and if I needed " help "

It must have looked " bizarre " to the satellite - running 130 mph on the straights and enabling " Stability Control " in every corner in what, from space, might appear to be a circle.

I pulled the On-Star fuse

You may want to check if the warranty cover's track events and specifically what kind as GM will certainly " know where and what you're doing "
Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by ooldguy93
.... GM will certainly " know where and what you're doing "
On Star is the main reason I won't buy a new GM product. I don't care for GM and the government knowing where I'm at and what I'm doing all the time.

The data system looks pretty neat though.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:37 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ooldguy93
On Star called my '08 Cobalt SS back, several times, while at a track day at Road America ( in the rain ), asking what was going on and if I needed " help "

It must have looked " bizarre " to the satellite - running 130 mph on the straights and enabling " Stability Control " in every corner in what, from space, might appear to be a circle.

I pulled the On-Star fuse

You may want to check if the warranty cover's track events and specifically what kind as GM will certainly " know where and what you're doing "
That same thought occurred to me

Of course if they looked at the data they can tell you're at a track
Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see a repeat of the Subaru fiasco here, where they gave free SCCA memberships to buyers of STi's, then voided the warranty if they raced.

You put a data and video system in a car that was developed with input from Corvette Racing and Cosworth, it'll get used at the track. They'd probably do everyone a favor if they sold an optional upgraded warranty for track day people. Don't make the thing contentious, support it and make it profitable for all.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
I see a repeat of the Subaru fiasco here, where they gave free SCCA memberships to buyers of STi's, then voided the warranty if they raced.

You put a data and video system in a car that was developed with input from Corvette Racing and Cosworth, it'll get used at the track. They'd probably do everyone a favor if they sold an optional upgraded warranty for track day people. Don't make the thing contentious, support it and make it profitable for all.

It was my first thought...

And how much internal memory is in the system hidden? So they could pull video evidence to deny your warranty claim?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Chevy Nick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To my knowledge, GM does not void warranties on Corvettes for being driven on a track. I have first hand knowledge of z06 owners that have had motors replaced that were blown on track when they had the smaller dry sump oil cannisters.

GM will void your warranty for modifications, but not for hard driving.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Nick
To my knowledge, GM does not void warranties on Corvettes for being driven on a track. I have first hand knowledge of z06 owners that have had motors replaced that were blown on track when they had the smaller dry sump oil cannisters.

GM will void your warranty for modifications, but not for hard driving.
That's interesting...

There must be a dozen or more threads in the C6 Z06 section about them voiding a warranty JUST because they were driving it on track in a track event...even a drivers performance event.

And...more than a few whose ENGINES were voided just because they upgraded brakes and other safety equipment.

Last edited by 1991Z07; 01-06-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:33 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I hate all of these new cars with gazillions of electronics.. TC this and AH that.. I dont want a silly computer in my car applying brakes for me when my TPMS sensor blows and I'm in the middle of a high speed turn!... and OnStar came on for me too.. There is a big downhill section on a track we go to, and I hit the bottom of the hill and suddenly I start imaging someone talking to me... but wait it wasn't my imagination it was the dumb OnStar idiots calling me in the middle of a lap! .. I've disabled AH, OnStar, TPMS and run with TC off. I don't want nannies and blackboxes.. I hate DCT, and PTM!.. its just another filter or layer between me and what the car is telling me. Its sad that all these raw, pure sports cars are slowly disappearing and being replaced with all these electronic gizmo laden sports cars.. (the new GT3, the C7 Z06, the new 991s .. they're all like this)...

If I want telemetry and video I'll get a Aim EVO4 and a Smartycam HD.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:24 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

raw pure sports cars tend to become ditch and tree seeking missiles in the hands of their owners.
As long as the stuff is defeatable...

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Data Logger

Quick Reply: C7 Data Logger