Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 corvette doors ..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C4 corvette doors ..

hey guys ,

Just looking for some advice on what you guys have done to take some weight out of the heavy c4 vette doors .. Pics would be great . Thanks
Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What type of car? Street or track only? Power window removal, etc are the obvious ways but if you still need them on the street that is not an option.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I took the power windows out. I left the steel beam in - which was really stupid. I don't think it made my car any faster and now if it rains at the track my seat gets wet.

The only glass I have in the car is the front window. That rear hatch is plexi and the interior is gutted. I'm a few lbs. blow 3,000. That's with a 1/4 tank of gas and me in the car. About the only thing left to do is ditch the heavy battery.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff
Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I have two C4 race cars, an ’86 and a ’90. From the ’86 I removed the complete door interior including the metal rail across the center. In addition, I removed as much of the interior side fiberglass as I could. The latch mechanism and exterior door handle to operate the latch were retained. The result was just a shell. I have those doors is you are interested. I do not have the specifics, but I think it removed about 17-18 lbs per door. That does not count the glass or the lift mechanism which were already gone

The ’90 I just recently bought, and the doors were already lightened, but not as extensively as I had done on the ’86. The primary difference in the two car’s doors is that the ’90 has retained more of the interior side fiberglass.

I do not have any pictures at this time.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a drag car .. trying to get the car down to 2500, I know they make light wight doors for our cars , but car is already painted and don't feel like dealing with fitting new doors . I'll porobly just end up gutting the power window, looks and crash beams and building some support rails for some tinted Lexan windows.

Just wanted to see what you guys have done and if it's worth the weight saving to lose the power windows .. you guys thing i can save 50lbs per door doing this ? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To C4 corvette doors ..

Quick Reply: C4 corvette doors ..