Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvettes at Sebring??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:50 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Corvettes at Sebring??

OK, I thought that the coolest moment at the Sebring Race, was when (on the first yellow flag) the #3 Corvette bumped someone and, on pit-in, the crew changed the entire front end in less than 3 minutes & didn't lose a lap under yellow, because they used (Lego) snap-on front nose and fenders so there were NO nuts or bolts
WORST moment was on the same yellow, when the Viper caught fire, and burned for thirty (30) minutes, in spite of two (2) foam trucks full of foam........however, with no injuries to the driver (thank God).
Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

not a good day for the guys in Yellow...........
Old 03-15-2014, 10:58 PM
mbeckers
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with you on the quick change front end. That was amazing to watch.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:19 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

what happened on last pit stop before the end to have gavin lose so much time?? thought we were gonna end up 3rd???

damn #3 car cant catch a break with the fuel pump issue that put em way back

insane amount of yellows and they took a damn long time to clear track just for a towed off car and go back to green
Old 03-15-2014, 11:45 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
OK, I thought that the coolest moment at the Sebring Race, was when (on the first yellow flag) the #3 Corvette bumped someone and, on pit-in, the crew changed the entire front end in less than 3 minutes & didn't lose a lap under yellow, because they used (Lego) snap-on front nose and fenders so there were NO nuts or bolts
WORST moment was on the same yellow, when the Viper caught fire, and burned for thirty (30) minutes, in spite of two (2) foam trucks full of foam........however, with no injuries to the driver (thank God).
What are you talking about? They went a lap down with that front end change. You could see the pack pass them on the pit camera.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:48 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Not a good day for any of the Corvettes. They still lead the manufacturer standings in the Prototype class despite problems at Sebring. Corvettes are 4th in the GTLM class though. There are no Corvettes in GTD. I wouldn't want to be in the GM meetings on Monday.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff
Old 03-16-2014, 07:49 AM
MildBill
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am amazed at the TV coverage...or should I say NOT TV coverage. Fox Sports decided to show a Texas college baseball game (amongst other inane programming) instead of the race. I'm sure the people of the northern section of southwest Texas (on the south side) are thrilled, but we in Virginia don't really have a dog in that hunt. Viewing on the IMSA website did not work. I am incredulous...yes that's right incredulous!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Well, NASCAR penalized Alex Job racing for unnecessary contact.... problem was it was the 911 and the 912 who roughed up the Ferrari , not the 22.

nice.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:34 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
Well, NASCAR penalized Alex Job racing for unnecessary contact.... problem was it was the 911 and the 912 who roughed up the Ferrari , not the 22.

nice.
yeah friggen morons how hard is it to compare stickers and see tv replays before demanding they stop in the pits or will quit scoring them??

fuel issues also on gavins car towards end or race as well from the sounds of it
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by MildBill
I am amazed at the TV coverage...or should I say NOT TV coverage. Fox Sports decided to show a Texas college baseball game (amongst other inane programming) instead of the race. I'm sure the people of the northern section of southwest Texas (on the south side) are thrilled, but we in Virginia don't really have a dog in that hunt. Viewing on the IMSA website did not work. I am incredulous...yes that's right incredulous!!!
I concur!!! With the poor TV showing, and the very long full course yellow at the end, I would be surprised if this new "TUDOR" (sponsered by Rolex;-) series lasts even a year
Old 03-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The number 3 car had fuel pump/supply issues, but they took way too long to fix it. It probably would have been smarter to live with the 6 or 7 tenths slower car than to lose 3 laps with under 3 hours left. That's why Ryan Briscoe said they went under the hood.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

While I missed the truly exceptional technology present in the "REAL" P1 cars, this new dinosaur prototype series is much more competitive as there is incredible parity among the different cars/teams, and it was pretty darn exciting. After 12 hours, it all boiled down to luck when you pitted, because if you were waiting until the last minute to pit, you did so on the yellow and lost valuable track position. All the teams that pitted 1 to 10 laps prior were the front runners at the end.

The yellow flag times were way too long though, and that's a function of the track and safety crew.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 03-16-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:57 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
While I missed the truly exceptional technology present in the "REAL" P1 cars, this new dinosaur prototype series is much more competitive as there is incredible parity among the different cars/teams, and it was pretty darn exciting. After 12 hours, it all boiled down to luck when you pitted, because if you were waiting until the last minute to pit, you did so on the yellow and lost valuable track position. All the teams that pitted 1 to 10 laps prior were the front runners at the end.

The yellow flag times were way too long though, and that's a function of the track and safety crew.
Only partially true.
The real cause for the lengthy yellow has to do with some of the rules and the officiating. Once they go full-course yellow the safety car gathers up the field and the pits remain closed.
Usually after 2 laps the pits are open for the P cars, the next lap the pits open for the rest of the field. Now that all the pitted cars are back on track there's a wave-by which kills evev more time.

By the time the green is waved the field has run 4/5 laps under yellow --- and at Sebring's length & safety car speed -- that equates to at least 15-20 minutes.

Given the length of full-course yellows --they should be used sparingly and only when truly necessary. In most cases a local yellow would have sufficed.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:44 PM
yenkovette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FOX Sports should be embarrassed by their terrible job...... This is going to be a long season in more ways than one. Please someone create a real racing TV network.....
Old 03-17-2014, 12:52 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yenkovette
FOX Sports should be embarrassed by their terrible job...... This is going to be a long season in more ways than one. Please someone create a real racing TV network.....
Old 03-17-2014, 01:34 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

It was armature hour this year. Sad for the guys that have to run hard and watch out for the turds who can screw it up. The cup Porsches are always screwing crap up, but this year was something else. Especially that idiot pulling out into traffic before the back straight...
Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Sports car racing has always been about rich guys with minimal talent. When you have to pay to drive a car at Sebring what do you expect? The size of your checkbook is more important than talent.

On the other hand everyone in GTLM got screwed with the Alex Job decision. No way that the factory Porsche should have won GTLM. On the other hand I didn't see any black helicopters at Sebring this year. Maybe they keep them on the beach in Daytona?

Richard Newton

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes at Sebring??

Old 03-17-2014, 03:31 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

While I absolutely agree with Fox's crap broadcast, and worse, their choice of commentators (except Justin Bell who is not only knowledgable, but funny as hell)blows, I will say that at least they gave pretty equal attention to all classes this time.

Bring back Jeremy Shaw and John Hindaugh please, please, please!

Last edited by 'Shifter; 03-17-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I watched the IMSA streaming video which near the end of the race started repeating itself quite often. Did the same thing happen on the Fox Stream.

Was wondering what happened to Gavin at the end. Hadn't heard about the fuel pickup problem. The C5Rs had a similar issue in their first outing at Daytona in 99. The foam in the fuel cell started coming apart and kept blocking the fuel fill opening each time they tried to put gas in the car.

Bill
Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Looks like IMSA will thankfully revise their safety-car procedures ---
after running 5 of 12 hours under yellow.

Good reports:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/im...rd-camera-ids/

http://sportscar365.com/features/com...ports-car-era/

Quick Reply: Corvettes at Sebring??