Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering my c7

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 02:09 PM
lane7711
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering my c7

I am looking at a covered trailer 16' v-nose. Has anyone trailered a vette in a 16', the next size up is 18'. Interested to hear experiences anyone may have.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Define "covered". If you mean enclosed, 16' is pretty damn small. I think 20' is the minimum most would accept for a car only with 24' being more the standard size I see at the track.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:45 PM
lane7711
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Define "covered". If you mean enclosed, 16' is pretty damn small. I think 20' is the minimum most would accept for a car only with 24' being more the standard size I see at the track.
Yes I mean enclosed. It's about tow weight may need to upgrade my truck.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by lane7711
Yes I mean enclosed. It's about tow weight may need to upgrade my truck.
I would say 20 feet is the real MINIMUM length you should even consider for an enclosed trailer.

I've got a 20' V-nose that is VERY minimal - but like you, I was looking for light weight.

Mine is aluminum and weighs 2450 lbs empty. With my 3200 lb C6 Z06, 210 lbs of spare wheels/tires on the rack you can see in the front, and a couple hundred lbs of spares and tools, I'm about 6000 to 6100 lbs total weight for the trailer.

Common towing wisdom is that the tongue weight should be 10-15% of the trailer's weight. My 650-675 lb tongue weight is right about 11%, and that's not too bad for my F150. My truck's hitch can handle a max of 500 lb tongue weight for a straight bumper pull rig, and 1050 lbs with a WDH (weight distribution hitch).

Below are some pics of my 20' trailer. It's 17' to where the nose starts v-ing down, and 20'4" to the tip of the V-nose. I've got a cabinet, a winch, and a battery in the V-nose.

My C6 is about 14-1/2 feet long, and I load it so the rear is only a couple inches from the rear door when it's closed. You can see below where the chocks are, and the front of the car extends right up to where that line is across the trailer where the floor changes, so that doesn't leave a whole lot of room - but enough for a couple gas jugs and a plastic box for some tools. You might be able to make out a hatch in the floor - it's pretty large and a good place to carry a couple spare rotors, pads, some brake fluid, oil, etc.

You can see that my trailer has a tire rack up front. I'm not sure that you'd have enough room in even an 18 foot trailer to carry a spare set of track wheels/tires very easily.

Bottom line - for an enclosed trailer, I don't think even an 18 footer would carry a Vette very well. My experience is that my 20 footer is about the very smallest enclosed that would work.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 03-22-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 03-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The smallest enclosed car hauler I have seen is 20'. They may come smaller, but, I have never heard of one.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:41 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I would say 20 feet is the real MINIMUM length you should even consider for an enclosed trailer. I've got a 20' V-nose that is VERY minimal - but like you, I was looking for light weight. Mine is aluminum and weighs 2450 lbs empty. With my 3200 lb C6 Z06, 210 lbs of spare wheels/tires on the rack you can see in the front, and a couple hundred lbs of spares and tools, I'm about 6000 to 6100 lbs total weight for the trailer. Common towing wisdom is that the tongue weight should be 10-15% of the trailer's weight. My 650-675 lb tongue weight is right about 11%, and that's not too bad for my F150. My truck's hitch can handle a max of 500 lb tongue weight for a straight bumper pull rig, and 1050 lbs with a WDH (weight distribution hitch). Below are some pics of my 20' trailer. It's 17' to where the nose starts v-ing down, and 20'4" to the tip of the V-nose. I've got a cabinet, a winch, and a battery in the V-nose. My C6 is about 14-1/2 feet long, and I load it so the rear is only a couple inches from the rear door when it's closed. You can see below where the chocks are, and the front of the car extends right up to where that line is across the trailer where the floor changes, so that doesn't leave a whole lot of room - but enough for a couple gas jugs and a plastic box for some tools. You might be able to make out a hatch in the floor - it's pretty large and a good place to carry a couple spare rotors, pads, some brake fluid, oil, etc. You can see that my trailer has a tire rack up front. I'm not sure that you'd have enough room in even an 18 foot trailer to carry a spare set of track wheels/tires very easily. Bottom line - for an enclosed trailer, I don't think even an 18 footer would carry a Vette very well. My experience is that my 20 footer is about the very smallest enclosed that would work. Bob
Where do you order that tire rack?
Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by andy3101
Where do you order that tire rack?
Well - I don't know whether it would be able to be modified to fit on/in other trailers or not.

Here's one they make for their open deck trailers:

And here's the one for their enclosed trailer:

I think if you have one of their trailers without a tire rack that you can buy a retro-fit kit from them for around $600.

Whether it will fit or be adaptable to other manufacturer's trailers, I dunno!

Give them a call and talk to them about it.

Take a look at their website for info and pricing on the kits, and to see their contact info: http://trailex.com

Bob
Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I run a 16 ft. open trailer. I have a tire rack on the front and the nose of my Z06 sits just under the back edge of the tires. Front bumper sits about a foot to the rear of the wind screen running across the front of the tire rack. Rear of the car sits about a foot from the rear of the trailer. If it was enclosed it would be a tight fit. 20 ft would probably be the minimum bed length I would go with. Remember you have to have some room to move around the car so you can hook up the tie downs, etc.

Bill
Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

18' with 2' V-nose. Small, light, and with the pickup truck bed you can carry everything you need. I can put in two or three large plastic bins in the nose and still have enough room to tie down the car. That's about as small as you can go enclosed.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailering my c7

Quick Reply: Trailering my c7