Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody plasti-dipped a whole car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
My personal belief is that if 1 of these things DOES decide to catch on fire, a few mils of spray or sheet vinyl is the least of your worries.

http://www.motorsport.com/tusc/video...gt3-r-huge-fi/
I just worry about more "fuel to the fire" - I've been in a car on fire, it's not the best experience. I so far have a policy of "don't touch/handle anything that can contribute to me catching on fire when I'm at the track - ie I won't fuel the car, don't want anything splashing on my skin or my firesuit. I was smoky, that was it, luckily. Gotta tell you that it sure seemed like an uncomfortably long time to get out (both my incident and for Ben Keating - at least he was stopped, mine erupted under the hood while going down the drag strip, melted the brakes away but fortunately it was a manual, started grabbing gears and got out when it came to a roll).
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I was going to get their kit and sprayer to do my range rover classic was kinda wondering about the race car too. From watching their videos 5 layers min. Would still only be 500.00 with the sprayer and paint.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 AM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z06801
I was going to get their kit and sprayer to do my range rover classic was kinda wondering about the race car too. From watching their videos 5 layers min. Would still only be 500.00 with the sprayer and paint.
If you haven't already, check w/ Cary at the next event. He had his new (bright yellow) C5 plasti-dipped. It's held up for at least two races:

Name:  2scZqF4.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  106.3 KB

Photo credit CAM Auto Mag (http://camautomag.com/nasa-utah-2014...and-lightning/)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:52 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Friend did it to a street car. Looked awesome for about a month then as the wear and tear took hold he was wishing he didn't do it. Racecars are something different, we get used to them being a little banged up. You might be happy with it but be advised it wont look great forever!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:10 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FuriousDonuts
If you haven't already, check w/ Cary at the next event. He had his new (bright yellow) C5 plasti-dipped. It's held up for at least two races:

Photo credit CAM Auto Mag (http://camautomag.com/nasa-utah-2014...and-lightning/)
His car did look good didn't even realize it was dipped and not painted. Did he do it himself or have it done? It would be easy to do except all the stickers we have to run, NASA, class, #'s ect. Would be a pain in the butt to deal with
Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z06801
His car did look good didn't even realize it was dipped and not painted. Did he do it himself or have it done? It would be easy to do except all the stickers we have to run, NASA, class, #'s ect. Would be a pain in the butt to deal with
He had someone do it for him, and I think it cost less than the number you threw out to do it yourself. Have you met Skitch? He drives the bright orange Cobalt in HPDE 3 and runs www.dipkings.com. I think he swings a discount for racers, but you'd have to check with him. I agree that the stickers are annoying, but I don't think there's any way around that...

One thing to keep in mind is that any frequently-contacted areas will rub off. So, wherever removable hood edges rest on the ground, tops of doors if you crawl in through the window, hood latches, etc. will probably peel off. Plus, anywhere the spray can't reach (like door hinges, deep in the engine bay, etc.) will show through.

That's about as far as my knowledge goes. At the very least it's a good way to help keep the original paint from getting sandblasted!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I plasti coated part of my Z last year. On the panels I was able to get it on thick enough so it peeled off but I should have masked all of the door seams, hood seams, door opening hand slots, etc. Those are the areas where I got overspray which resulted in a thinner coating. The stuff in there doesn't peel. You have to rub it off which can be very difficult in some places. Still haven't found out how to get it off the flexible seal around the hood opening. Can see it on the black seal when the hood is closed.

Bill
Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I plasti coated part of my Z last year. On the panels I was able to get it on thick enough so it peeled off but I should have masked all of the door seams, hood seams, door opening hand slots, etc. Those are the areas where I got overspray which resulted in a thinner coating. The stuff in there doesn't peel. You have to rub it off which can be very difficult in some places. Still haven't found out how to get it off the flexible seal around the hood opening. Can see it on the black seal when the hood is closed.

Bill
Bill I think they have a remover they sale that will soften and allow it to be wiped off without damage on spots that are to thin to peel. It's on that dipyourcar.com site
http://youtu.be/4ynMrKFZJHI

Last edited by z06801; 04-07-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FuriousDonuts

I saw that car at miller a few weeks ago, looked good
Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a good thread on yellow bullet on the plasti-dip
Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 PM
KeaRveK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few more pictures and my thoughts below. Color is Anthracite Gray and work was done by Dixon at What's Happening Performance. Dipkings is also a great choice and fellow racer, but was closed for winter at the time I needed it done

- Reason for going with Dip? - Cost - About the same or cheaper than the cheapest option from MAACO and will probably last longer. Much cheaper than a vinyl wrap. Also it was for a track only car so not overly concerned with it being perfect.

- Like FuriousDonuts said, you have to be careful around the sharper edges or areas with interferences as it will try to start peeling. I just covered with vinyl to solve the problem (like the window sill).

- Lke all types of paint the longer it cures the more durable it becomes. Skitch with the Cobalt has done HPDE's for 2 years and said he only needed to touch up the rocker panels.

- Gasoline definitely will discolor it (looks like a water mark). I always clean up any spills immediately, so not sure if it would actually eat through if left to sit.

- Had our truck camper done too. Only thing you need to be careful of here is your sealant. If you use silicone the dip or any paint will not stick to it. So something to check...

Only 2 races on it, so we'll see what it looks like at the end of the season.

Quick Reply: Anybody plasti-dipped a whole car?