Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Nationals 2014 East Road Atlanta, updates!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default NASA Nationals 2014 East Road Atlanta, updates!

A couple of you guys owe us some updates, what the heck, not a peep about your weekend recap?! We have members who stood on the podium for ST1 and ST2 at least, TT1 as well I think.. lets see some write ups!! I'm staring at a blown up LS3 in a 110 degree garage.. gimme something to motivate me..
Old 09-03-2014, 02:27 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
A couple of you guys owe us some updates, what the heck, not a peep about your weekend recap?! We have members who stood on the podium for ST1 and ST2 at least, TT1 as well I think.. lets see some write ups!! I'm staring at a blown up LS3 in a 110 degree garage.. gimme something to motivate me..
Old 09-03-2014, 02:31 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is some motivation. I was about 80% behind where you are with your car at this time last year. I ate up last year's speedcast coverage like it was the Indy 500, Daytona, Monaco and Le Mans all rolled into 1 event. Media this year appears to be...lacking, but apparently the crew that showed up was volunteer, so be thankful there is anything at all (which is a shame- what better way to energize the base and get out new participants than showing off the great racing at one of your marquee events??).

Last edited by RX-Ben; 09-03-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:50 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

NASA East Coast Championships 2014
Road Atlanta, August 27-31
#01 ST3 Corvette Z06

Our trip to the Road Atlanta started just like every trip: leave a few minutes later than you want only to end up sitting in traffic across Lake Norman and around Charlotte. Towing a borrowed enclosed trailer (with AC!!!) and loaded to the hilt with spares, tools, coolers, tires, etc., we made our way to Georgia without issue after clearing the Wednesday morning traffic.

My wife had been asked to work registration, so we arrived just after 11am and started stuffing the last of the free drink cozies. When registration got busy, I headed back to the truck for some cool AC and to charge my phone. About the only thing that happened on pack in day was I almost ran my diesel out of fuel while sitting in front of Road Atlanta waiting for the gates to open at 2pm. Sitting still with the AC on max, I saw on the dash “50 miles til empty”, “45 miles til empty”, and I finally shut it off at “35 miles til empty”.

Thursday dawned clear and HOT. On old R6s, the car was running mid-1:30s with ease and coolant temps were in the 220s. Nothing overly concerning, but I had yet to really push the car. After destroying the front splitter at an early August event and building an entirely new one, I was determined to do a proper shakedown and come up to speed slowly.

Around mid-morning, I had a dyno appointment scheduled. In typical fashion, I was 15 minutes early and they were 30 minutes late getting to me. Even so, my ST3 tune dyno’ed 7hp low in 4th gear and 11hp low in 3rd gear. So, my forms I have been running on all year long were good to go and I did not need to make any changes.

Later that afternoon, I drove across the scales in Tech. They had trouble getting each and every car with a front splitter up on the scales. When they read the numbers to me, I couldn’t believe them and asked for a repeat: twice. I immediately drove back to our paddock and put the car on the scales I brought with me; scales I know are good and are almost dead on with another set my car is used on all the time. The official scales showed me 43lbs LIGHTER than my scales showed. FORTY THREE! I started drilling lead blocks that I had brought with me as well as burning up the calculator to figure out my options. Somewhere in there I called Tom, our ST Director, and told him of the discrepancy. He said they were swapping out scales and to hold off on the lead installs. I finished drilling them just in case. That reminds me, I need to replace the drill bit I broke….

Thursday night I swapped to sticker A6s, new brake pads front and rear, and gave everything a good once over feeling good about the next day.

The Friday morning warmup session went pretty well with no issues, but it was somewhat cool. During the qualifying session, I ran a 1:35.1 to Ziggy’s 1:34.7. I would be starting Qualifying Race #1 on the outside pole.

We started Qualifying Race #1 in the second group with six ST2 cars leading nine ST3 cars to the green flag. From the beginning, Ziggy and I had to deal with the back two ST2 cars being slow in the corners and drag racing us down the straights. Ziggy got by one of them and I noticed my coolant temps hitting 237* around the second or third lap. By now, Ziggy had put so much distance between me and the slower ST2 cars, I could barely see him. I decided to back off, maintain coolant temps in the 232-234* range and hold on to second place.

Following the race, the first thing I did was look to see if the OEM style radiator (new in January) was packed full of debris. Everything looked good, it was just a matter of racing in air temps in the high 90s with track temps well over 100. Morris Morgan, my buddies from CMD Automotive, and David Farmer Racing all got on the phones and found a larger DeWitts radiator in the warehouse at Summit Racing in McDonough, GA. While my dad and I hit the road for the five hour round trip through Atlanta Friday afternoon traffic, CMD sourced the radiator for me and David and my wife prepped the car for our return. By midnight, my wife and I had installed the new radiator and had everything back together. We left for the hotel hopeful that it was the cure. I awoke three times between 1am and 6am going through it all in my head: Did I reinstall this? Did I tighten that? Did we get all of the air out of the system? Will this fix it?????

In the 8:30am warmup session Saturday morning, I ran the car HARD and saw coolant temps hit high 190s*. Significantly lower, but we also had much cooler air. For Race #2 at 10:30am, we would again be starting in a mixed pack of ST2 cars in the front and ST3 cars in the rear. Due to some changes, there were now only four ST2 cars and we had ten ST3 cars. Better for contingencies, so I was hoping everyone would make it through the day.

Once the green flag waved, Ziggy made no bones about getting past the back ST2 cars because we both knew that whoever got in front of them would pretty much run away from the other. By T5 he had put a car between us and I was once again relegated to coasting in the corners and drag racing down the straights. I pass one ST2 car FOUR times in that race. By the fourth time, Ziggy had checked out so far that I had zero hope of ever catching him.

Late in the race, an SU car laid down some transmission fluid through T5. Two ST3 Thunder Roadsters spun out, with one hitting the right side wall. The TR that stayed on track was struck by Michael in the #111 ST1 Corvette. It knocked the entire a-arm, wheel, hub, and brake assembly off the #369 Thunder Roadster. It destroyed the splitter and front bumper cover on Michael’s Vette. That race ended under Full Course Caution with me in P2. Everyone was ok and the #369 made enough repairs to race again in the championship race (and finish 3rd!). It must have been the brake duct hose I gave him. Michael could have repaired his car, but in a freak accident, the tow truck dropped the rollback on his foot and a trip to the local emergency room confirmed a broken bone.

Highly frustrating to be raced that hard by a higher class car. The good thing is the coolant temps never got above 203*. Almost too cool, but the cooling problem was solved for good! A good friend of mine went and talked to the ST2 car that held me up in both races, but as you will see, it did not help.

The Championship Race started Sunday at 12:30. Hot, sticky, and ummmm hot. Thank goodness for cool suits packed full of ice. Again in a mixed start with ST2 and ST3 cars, I got a great jump on Ziggy but could make it through in T1. He tried to go too far inside of the ST2 car in T3 and I got around him digging on the outside of T4. I closed the door in the esses and he tucked in behind me. I led all the way around to the bridge and he got a GREAT run through T12. Coming onto the front straight, I could see that he had a head of steam on me. I thought about pulling to the inside line into T1, but thought I could run enough speed to hold him off. I was wrong. He passed me in the brake zone and crossed in front of me into T1. I didn’t have enough pull to get back to his right coming up the hill to T2 and he was in the lead.

Coming out of T7, I was tucked under his rear bumper we were dead even down the first half of the back straight. I was gaining on him in the draft and pulled to the right and ran down the right side of the track through T9 and into the brake zone of T10. I never fully cleared him and he braked down the inside of me into T10. He crossed my front and I was again on his bumper up to the bridge. Once again, he got a great run through T12 and put some distance on me down the front straight.

We held in that position getting in and out of the ST2 traffic until Greg in the ST2 Lotus hit the front wall and a Full Course Caution waved. Once we went back green, Ziggy and I were again in the middle of the ST2 traffic and trying to fight our way through. Ziggy had contact with the ST2 GTR passing the GTR in T6. I stayed on his bumper and dove down the inside of Ziggy in the brake zone of T7. Ziggy and I touched at the apex and he was able to again stay in front of me.

Coming out of T7, the ST2 cars again drag raced us down the backstraight and were again in front of me into T10. We battled all the way down the front straight. Ziggy went wide left into T1 to get around the two ST2 backmarkers and I was intent on staying with him when he made a hole. I went two wide with the ST2 GTR at T3, straightened my steering input and lifted at the apex to give him room and we touched when he came left into me. Ziggy got through the esses cleanly while I was left coasting behind the faster class cars.

This was the name of the game for the rest of the race. I never had a chance to catch him after that and I knew it. I continued running hard hoping something would happen but I didn’t get back around the ST2 GTR until it slowed with transmission troubles. By then Ziggy had hooked up with the ST2 class leader and they were putting down consistent laps with Matt in his ST2 Vette pulling Ziggy down the back straights at speeds I couldn’t hit.

So, I finished the Championship Race in second place this year. I am happy and proud, but somewhat dissatisfied knowing that an out of class car affected all three races from the weekend. I can only hope for better results at VIR in 2015. Time start planning on changes to the car!

You need to watch the Qualifying Race video to appreciate the Championship Race.

Highlights from the Qualifying Races: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc9JC...ature=youtu.be

Championship Race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbH42...ature=youtu.be

-Kevin
Old 09-03-2014, 03:01 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Awesome writeup and dads are the best!!!!!
My dad and father in law cheerfully went through the wringer on a daily and nightly basis from Wednesday through Sunday. I would have been fully SOL without them.
Kevin, your scales must be off as mine indicated the official scales were only 40lbs light. Easily the cheapest weight reduction I've ever done to the car.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Media this year appears to be...lacking, but apparently the crew that showed up was volunteer, so be thankful there is anything at all (which is a shame- what better way to energize the base and get out new participants than showing off the great racing at one of your marquee events??).
~$75 more per entry and a couple of smallish corp sponsorships would get you a high quality 30 min show on MAVTV for a race weekend recap show.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:23 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Awesome writeup and dads are the best!!!!!
My dad and father in law cheerfully went through the wringer on a daily and nightly basis from Wednesday through Sunday. I would have been fully SOL without them.
Kevin, your scales must be off as mine indicated the official scales were only 40lbs light. Easily the cheapest weight reduction I've ever done to the car.
Yes they are!

LOL on the 40lbs.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Kevin,

Thank you for the update. Appreciate the time you put into this. Congratulations on your finish!

Ed
Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

No problem, Ed. Writing BS is what I am good at. Hahaha
Old 09-03-2014, 09:30 PM
zigspeed10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up. It was so frustrating dealing with that GTR which is why I made some aggressive passing attempts on him. These videos were only the races, we were dealing with his crap in all the warm ups and qualifying too. It's too bad he affected the outcome of our race so much, it really was a race of who could get in front of the GTR first.

Overall it was a great weekend but it wasn't without its issues. On Thursday the right front banjo bolt on the brake caliper came loose and the pedal went to the floor going into T1. Luckily it was in T1 which is a fast up hill corner, I was able to scrub enough speed keeping it on track and limped it back to the pits. Tightened the bolt, bled the brakes and I was good to go. Before our qualifying I was checking the torque on the lug nuts when one snapped off. Luckily the session before ours had an incident that delayed ours giving me enough time to swap in a spare hub. After about 15 minutes of thrashing the car was ready to go.

Road Atlanta is a great track, I'll be back again sometime.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 PM
jtmck
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zigspeed10
Great write up. It was so frustrating dealing with that GTR which is why I made some aggressive passing attempts on him. These videos were only the races, we were dealing with his crap in all the warm ups and qualifying too. It's too bad he affected the outcome of our race so much, it really was a race of who could get in front of the GTR first.

Overall it was a great weekend but it wasn't without its issues. On Thursday the right front banjo bolt on the brake caliper came loose and the pedal went to the floor going into T1. Luckily it was in T1 which is a fast up hill corner, I was able to scrub enough speed keeping it on track and limped it back to the pits. Tightened the bolt, bled the brakes and I was good to go. Before our qualifying I was checking the torque on the lug nuts when one snapped off. Luckily the session before ours had an incident that delayed ours giving me enough time to swap in a spare hub. After about 15 minutes of thrashing the car was ready to go.

Road Atlanta is a great track, I'll be back again sometime.
CONGRATULATION CHAMP!!!!

I'll be gunning for you now
Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any info on TT, from looking at the 1st place finishers, no one ran TT3
Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

That is correct. I feel like TTA and it's seed have been smited from the earth. In 2011 there were ~17 entries at Nationals in TTA. I think it is fair to say that we have eradicated that plague (though there are still some very fast ST3 cars hiding in the bush).
Old 09-03-2014, 11:18 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats to you East Coast champs and racers! I was sorry to see the ST2 lotus (Vannucci) go into the wall. I enjoyed racing with him last year. I heard his car is totaled but I never saw any pics or details. Sounded like he was OK. Racing can be a cruel sport, I ended up in the wall last year while leading the final ST2 race...
Old 09-04-2014, 08:20 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redtopz
Congrats to you East Coast champs and racers! I was sorry to see the ST2 lotus (Vannucci) go into the wall. I enjoyed racing with him last year. I heard his car is totaled but I never saw any pics or details. Sounded like he was OK. Racing can be a cruel sport, I ended up in the wall last year while leading the final ST2 race...
Greg dogged me at Hallett in Race 1 this year and got by me on a missed shift.. though I don't know how much longer I was going to keep him behind me.

I'm glad he is ok after RA, the car was a mess, Rene sent me a pic.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:22 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

David and Kevin, great job guys!!
Old 09-05-2014, 12:42 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Just watched Kevin's vid on facebook. Great job by the 2 ST3 leaders! That track looks kind of scary around the bridge and where Greg hit the wall. Mixed traffic is always tough to deal with. We had the same issues last year with the ST1 cars in front of us at Miller. Bottom line is that hp doesn't make a fast car on a roadcourse like many people think. It's everything other than hp that leads to fast laps. Where it does help is down the straights especially in a race where they can re-pass or prevent a pass from a lower hp car.

The West coast event is looking pretty weak. Might be due to the Runoffs at Laguna this year. I will probably run ST1 or ST3 just to have more cars to race (I would make 6 total in either one). I predict lap times basically the same from ST3 up to ST1 at Sonoma which is really a handling track. There are 5 cars registered in ST2 now, but I think 2 of them might be out. One was Vannucci...

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Nationals 2014 East Road Atlanta, updates!

Old 09-05-2014, 01:29 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Greg dogged me at Hallett in Race 1 this year and got by me on a missed shift.. though I don't know how much longer I was going to keep him behind me.

I'm glad he is ok after RA, the car was a mess, Rene sent me a pic.
OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:39 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by redtopz
Just watched Kevin's vid on facebook. Great job by the 2 ST3 leaders!

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2014, 06:00 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is correct. I feel like TTA and it's seed have been smited from the earth. In 2011 there were ~17 entries at Nationals in TTA. I think it is fair to say that we have eradicated that plague (though there are still some very fast ST3 cars hiding in the bush).
What's wrong with TTA/TT3? I plan to run TT3 next year in the NE/mid-atlantic and would have preferred TTA.

Quick Reply: NASA Nationals 2014 East Road Atlanta, updates!