Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing joc bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:41 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Default installing joc bars?

getting ready to install my joc bars and need to know if their is any special directions that I need to do to ensure proper setup (bought them used w/o instructions)...oem endlinks.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:01 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Not that I recall. It is very helpful to have an extra set of hands and a lift if possible.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:27 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Nope, easy install, its the revers of taking the old ones off, not very hard, unless you have a cull rear diffuser, like APR.... Otherwise, 18mm open end wrench, and a 8mm and go to town!
Old 10-16-2014, 12:39 PM
ROBMARZ
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
getting ready to install my joc bars and need to know if their is any special directions that I need to do to ensure proper setup (bought them used w/o instructions)...oem endlinks.
Start with the middle setting on the rear swaybar. I hope you got the correct bushing for the bigger bars too.

The end links form Pfadt started making a lot of noise for me with weeks. I replaced with the quiet end links from LG.

Good luck
Old 10-16-2014, 01:17 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Just make sure the bars swivel in the bushings. if they are to tight a couple of washers between the cradle & clamp will loosen them up
Old 10-16-2014, 05:08 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

thanks guys
Old 10-16-2014, 06:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Check my video's on sway bars.

Click below.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:21 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

c u in rearview if you have a base c6 you'll need to add spacers in the bushing bracket clamp so you don't compress them. The OEM clamps are made for the OEM rubber bushings. Love my JOC1 setup

OEM front sway bar bushing bracket is to small or needs washers to get the right pinch on bushing.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:21 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Will I need longer bolts due to the use of spacers? Front definately needs em......
Old 10-17-2014, 08:49 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

are adjustable endlinks needed/suggested? I have been told that oem endlinks will hit front control arm during bumps? I also am running phadt featherlight c/o's. also,how do you "zero out" the swaybars??
Old 10-17-2014, 09:09 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will I need longer bolts due to the use of spacers? Front definately needs em......

Here's a pic without the washers/spacers. Just fill in in as needed. I think you can get replacement bushings at Vansteel. Get some good end link also get rid of the OEM ones.
C U IN REARVIEW I used the OEM bolts. Tighten down just enough to hold it firmly but it still moves/ rotates. Use a little bit of silicone grease/lube.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...structions.pdf
Link to instructions for sway bar install from Pfadt website.

Last edited by V4kerker; 10-17-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

To eliminate preload you need at least one adjustable link on each sway bar. Install one end link (either stock or adjustable one set to stock length) on one side. Drive car back and forth a few times to settle suspension. Drive up on ramps or 4-post lift so that you can get to the other end of the bar to install the other link. You want the full weight of the car on the wheels. (If you really want to be accurate, have the driver's weight in the seat.) Adjust the length of the second link so that the bolt slides in easily. Torque everything down and you're done.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:35 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't forget to grease the ID of your bushings so that the bars move freely
Old 10-17-2014, 12:24 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Uh... I sell endlinks, but if you are buying new ones because of noise after a bar swap, you are wasting your money (if that's the reason vs. getting adjustability). Simply put the pinch nuts on the links don't hold as well once taken of. So, use some blue loctite and no more noise.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Last edited by strano@stranoparts.com; 10-17-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Not unless you have the wrong bushing. I've put 2-3 washers (say 3mm) with the stock bolt & no issue, torque the bolt.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Don't forget to grease the ID of your bushings so that the bars move freely

And regrease at LEAST yearly
Old 10-17-2014, 06:55 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To installing joc bars?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:23 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

PM sent
Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Scooter70
To eliminate preload you need at least one adjustable link on each sway bar. Install one end link (either stock or adjustable one set to stock length) on one side. Drive car back and forth a few times to settle suspension. Drive up on ramps or 4-post lift so that you can get to the other end of the bar to install the other link. You want the full weight of the car on the wheels. (If you really want to be accurate, have the driver's weight in the seat.) Adjust the length of the second link so that the bolt slides in easily. Torque everything down and you're done.
Now if I wanted to go with all four adjustable links (future corner balance capabilities), how do I go about setting the correct length to eliminate preload?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

The adjustable links aren't about corner balancing. (Corner balancing should be done with sway bars detatched.) They're for eliminating the preload. As long as the bolt attaching the second link slides into the hole easily with the full weight of the car on the tires, there isn't any preload on the bar. Set the first link close to stock and then adjust the second one so that it slides right in and you're done.

Quick Reply: installing joc bars?