Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on an actual track (Kinda)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:16 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Default First time on an actual track (Kinda)

I have run a couple of AutoX's in my day (Maybe 1 a year at most) but have never run hard at an actual track (I have done drag races on the front straight which means we had to complete the rest of the lap to get back to the pits) a HPDE is on my todo list but I have not found the time or extra money laying around to commit at the moment.

Our local track (Pittsburgh International Race Complex aka Pittrace/Formerly BeaveRun) started an event last year they call TrackCross, basically AutoX and Track combined.... Start on the front straight and take turns 1-8 as fast as possible. I was going to go back in July but ended up injuring my ankle 2 days before the event. They had one yesterday from 3pm-7pm so I worked from home and went out and damn am I glad I did. There was a threat of rain all day so turnout was very light. I believe there were around 18 cars max there throughout the night, I made 14 passes and that was with a lot of cooldown in between runs. For never being out on the track before and having no instruction I think I made some good improvements from my first to last run, mainly in being smoother in my inputs and watching the time drop as a result.

http://www.pittrace.com/trackcross

I would love to return for a HPDE to get some instruction and improve my driving for sure.

Thought I was finding the grass on turn 5... Nice rubber smell after from pushing through my front tires.

My best pass of the day... 45.3 on their timing system. Best runs of the day came from a Porsche 911 Turbo S who was going 39.x but most of us were in the 40-47 range.

My I had issues carrying speed into turn 1 and 7 and trusting my self over the blind hills into the turns also the last turn (8) made me uneasy to take at WOT.

Car is a 2008 A6 w/2.73 gears, Stainless works 1 7/8" longtube headers, 3" catless X Pipe, C6Z bimode mufflers, Z51 Brakes, Z51 Sway bars & C6Z06 Shocks.. Tires are Mickey Thompson Street Comp in stock sizes.

Last edited by SK360; 10-16-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: First time on an actual track (Kinda)