Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optimum setup for racing slicks/wheels for autocrossing C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 12:52 PM
samra
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimum setup for racing slicks/wheels for autocrossing C5

What combination of racing slicks/wheels works well for autocrossing a C5? Car is street driven, but I'm considering a separate set of wheels and racing slicks (not DOT Kumos or Hoosiers) strictly for autocrossing.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:58 PM
EDC
Instructor

Default Re: Optimum setup for racing slicks/wheels for autocrossing C5 (samra)

I have used Z06 wheels with Hoosier autocross slicks. The tires work great for autocross. Because you do not get a chance to really heat up the rubber. I tried them at a road course and when they got hot, I lost traction. Hoosiers appear to be better than Khumos, IMHO. Khumos need to be heated up more than a autocross course allows. Last years SCCA Solo II champ, John Ames uses Hoosiers.

There is a huge price difference.

Take it for what it is worth.

EDC
Old 08-04-2002, 05:15 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True "slicks" (i.e. not D.O.T. race rubber) will put directly into the prepared or modified classes. Unless you're otherwise already put in there due to other mods, a street driven car is going tobe at a serious handicap compared to the other cars that are already there. Why are you ruling out DOT rubber?
Old 08-04-2002, 05:21 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Slicks? Unless your car is heavily modified, you will more than likely get eaten up in Race prepared class by a true race prepped car--unless you're a really good driver ;)
I use Fikse FM5's w/ 275-40-17 & 315/35-17 kuhmo victoracers on the C5 'vert. Not quite as good as hoosiers, but easier to 'dial in', more forgiving @ the limit and cheaper. They also work very well on marginal asphalt.
Another alternative I've used before are the Grand Sport 5 spoke(similar to ZR-1 wheels). They work very well, and are readily available. Good luck out there!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 12:12 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

A suggestion, if your not competing for points, autoX with the stock tires and pressures just like you drive on the street, 1. You will then learn to drive your car the way it is most of the time 2. You will not be disappointed with its grip when you get back on the road 3. You are not saving money by buying wheels and race tires. That's what I'm doing and I'm having a blast.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:50 AM
samra
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Optimum setup for racing slicks/wheels for autocrossing C5 (EDC)

Thanks for the reply's, sounds like I need to pursue the Hoosier Autocross slicks. I didn't see any listing as such on the Hoosier website, where's the best place to find specs and pricing?
I didn't note in my earlier post, the car has other mods that kick it into modified class anyway, and I learned a long time ago that you can't compete in that class against slicks without having them yourself.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:10 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

You probably need to trailer your car if you are going to run Hoosiers.

I use CCW's & Kumho's for autocross and track.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:12 PM
sknight
Advanced

Default Re: Optimum setup for racing slicks/wheels for autocrossing C5 (TooManyIDs)

Al,

What sizes are you running? I've heard that bigger isn't always better. I've seen fantastic runs with huge front and rear tires (such as in the ASP autox class), but then equally fast (or even faster) runs in SS where tire width is limited. I hear it all depends on the rest of the car setup. HOLY CR##! Does that mean that the difference is only marginal? :crazy: I'm going to start shopping soon to get ready for next seasons autox, so I have to figure out the set up I need.

Yes, it's time to move out of the novice class, and get off of street tires. :yesnod:
Old 08-10-2002, 02:07 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Optimum setup for racing slicks/wheels for autocrossing C5 (sknight)

285/30WR18 on CCW 18x10 Front.

335/35WR17 on CCW 17x12 Rear.

About $775 (shipped) from The Tire Rack.

Get notified of new replies

To Optimum setup for racing slicks/wheels for autocrossing C5

Quick Reply: Optimum setup for racing slicks/wheels for autocrossing C5