Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake master w/o internal proportioning valve - C4

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brake master w/o internal proportioning valve - C4

Working on my 1989 and I'm looking to upgrade the master cylinder. I'm looking for a master cylinder that will bolt up with relatively few to no modifications that does not have an internal proportioning valve. Right now I don't have enough rear brake bias and it's causing the rear to dance a bit under hard braking such as the back straight at Road Atlanta and both straights at VIR.

I'm also considering going with Wilwood fron 13" brakes down the road as well. I'll also be adding a manual external proportioning valve.

Also, just FYI, I have the DRM spring installed currently. I'm just at the point where I can use more rear brake and also more brakes, but that's another thread.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:05 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Changing your mc alone won't change brake bias. However as you say if you can avoid the internal proportioning and go external you may be able to pick up a bit of rear brake.

Your more ideal situation is to make sure your chosen path for brakes offers more bias by design. That means disc diameter or piston area. Of course you can also tune with pads but nobody wants race pads on the street!

Start by comparing what you have NOW to what you feel you'd like to do from a static point of design. Then know what a prop valve will reduce that rear pressure. Never increase it. Targeting more than about 5-7& however can be pretty optimistic, so be realistic on your goal.

BIAS CALCULATOR

Quick Reply: Brake master w/o internal proportioning valve - C4