Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I installed my sways incorrectly...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:37 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Think I installed my sways incorrectly...

I installed some sway bars a while back and since then have learned that there should be no load on the suspension when doing so. I used jacks so I'm fairly certain I did this incorrectly.

I understand now that I should be in the driver seat - or some kind of weight consistent with mine - and there should be no load on the suspension, as if the car was sitting naturally.

How would an incorrect install effect the function of the sway bars?

I'll get back under there and do it again, insuring it's correct, I'm just curious what the consequence is.

Thanks for any info!

Last edited by FruiTay; 11-16-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:42 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Maybe you have issue maybe not. If you have stock sways with stock fixed endlinks then no problem because you limited by endlinks. If you got adjustable links then yes you have problem if you choose to corner weight the car and desire the suspension to be all it can be. In theory you want your weight in the car and 1/2 your fuel load for your race.. then corner balance car with correct air pressure and one end of sway bar disconnected. Then once scaled you adjust the loose end link to passively be connected back at this new scaled position with wheels flat on floor or on the alignment platform. The reason is because you do not want to introduce wheel rate from the swaybar spring rate. You want the wheel rate to come from the spring only and the sway to impart its rate in transition.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
How would an incorrect install effect the function of the sway bars?

I'll get back under there and do it again, insuring it's correct, I'm just curious what the consequence is.

Exactly what BillyBob said.

If you were on the scales, didn't have the driver weight in and tightened the links, you've just loaded up the sway bar. And that will mess up your corner weights.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:32 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys! I should be ok then. I have stock sways (c6 Z51 front and c6 Z06 rear) I have not done any kind of corner weights. Thanks for the instructions! I have some GM T-1s I'd like to get in sometime. Now I can do those correctly!
Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
Thanks guys! I should be ok then. I have stock sways (c6 Z51 front and c6 Z06 rear) I have not done any kind of corner weights. Thanks for the instructions! I have some GM T-1s I'd like to get in sometime. Now I can do those correctly!
As long as you have adjustable end links, which I didn't see mentioned.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:20 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Understood! The process is for adjustable end links. Thank you very much!

Get notified of new replies

To Think I installed my sways incorrectly...

Quick Reply: Think I installed my sways incorrectly...