Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Wheel Advice to support Wilwood Big Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:50 PM
tgcounts
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C6 Wheel Advice to support Wilwood Big Brakes

I've searched and searched but can't seem to find a clear picture. There's a good thread re. C5s and wheels but I'm just not certain the same math works for C6s.

Anyway, I have a C6 (Z51) I'd really like to put Wilwood Aero6s on front and Wilwood FNSLs on the rear. Todd at TCE has put together a nice package for me but I'm having a hard time finding affordable wheels to fit in a base C6 configuration. I've seen mention of Forgestar CF5, F14s, and TSW Interlagos but can't get a definitive confirmation they'll work with the brakes I'm hoping to install.

Looking for 18X9.5 Front and 19X11 (or 10.5) Rear

Do any of y'all have a "YES, that will work" or "NO, it won't" answer? It seems every answer I get has a lot of disclaimers. I'd love to know what people here have experience with that works well.

Also, for tires, I'd like to run 275/35-18 and 325/30-19s if possible on those wheels.

Thanks so much!
Tom
Old 11-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcounts
I've searched and searched but can't seem to find a clear picture. There's a good thread re. C5s and wheels but I'm just not certain the same math works for C6s.

Anyway, I have a C6 (Z51) I'd really like to put Wilwood Aero6s on front and Wilwood FNSLs on the rear. Todd at TCE has put together a nice package for me but I'm having a hard time finding affordable wheels to fit in a base C6 configuration. I've seen mention of Forgestar CF5, F14s, and TSW Interlagos but can't get a definitive confirmation they'll work with the brakes I'm hoping to install.

Looking for 18X9.5 Front and 19X11 (or 10.5) Rear

Do any of y'all have a "YES, that will work" or "NO, it won't" answer? It seems every answer I get has a lot of disclaimers. I'd love to know what people here have experience with that works well.

Also, for tires, I'd like to run 275/35-18 and 325/30-19s if possible on those wheels.

Thanks so much!
Tom

Tom,
Look at the Wilwood site where they provide wheel information for each of their kits. It isn't going to say which wheel but it will give you information on how much clearance you need. I know that C6Z wheels fit over the brakes with plenty of room to clear. LG World Challenge Wheels fit over my front brakes but the barrels just barely clear the calipers. The calipers are quite scored from stones and other things that get thrown in between the wheel and the caliper.

Bill
Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Shameless plug....I happen to have a set of LG World Challenge wheels for C6Z/GS...and they have TPMS and MPSC tires...regarding what Bill said - barrels just barely clear the calipers, that is my experience too. I ran these on both my previous C6Z and GS, now have a C7. As far as them fitting on a base C6...not sure (sorry!). I live in the DFW area of Texas, if you are ever out this way I am happy to do a test fit in my shop/garage, just give me a heads-up - we can then hit the track (Eagles Canyon Raceway) for a test session.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:01 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I'd like to know your findings with this. I was planning on running interlagos with the same setup on the street and c5z rears on the track so I'd love to hear what you find!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:56 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

You can only get those wheels in 9" in front and 10.5" rear. Or you can run rears all the way around. They have tons of room for brake calipers with 14" rotors.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:33 PM
tgcounts
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
You can only get those wheels in 9" in front and 10.5" rear. Or you can run rears all the way around. They have tons of room for brake calipers with 14" rotors.
Yes, that's true for the Interlagos but the Forgestar's have 18X9.5 and 19X11. When you say they have tons of room for brake calipers w/ 14" rotors, which wheels are you referring to? Interlagos?

Also, does anyone know about a wheel I keep reading about called Ace Slicks?

Thanks!
Tom
Old 11-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Yes, that's true for the Interlagos but the Forgestar's have 18X9.5 and 19X11. When you say they have tons of room for brake calipers w/ 14" rotors, which wheels are you referring to? Interlagos?

Also, does anyone know about a wheel I keep reading about called Ace Slicks?

Thanks!
Tom
Here is the Ace Alloy Wheel web page: http://www.acealloywheel.com/

Bill
Old 11-24-2014, 01:26 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm referring to the interlagos wheels, the tsw nurburgring are similar in clearance. I don't know about the forgestar wheels, but any wheel for a base C6 with a dish or lip will have limited caliper clearance. LG offers a wheel also that will clear z06 brakes.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:41 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

From my measurements using wilwoods dimensions to make a template, the 14" FNSL 6 piston kit is the only one that can fit behind the base c6 5spoke wheels using just a wheel spacer. The wheel spacer I tested was 5/16."

Old 11-26-2014, 08:56 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Base C6 here with TSW 18x10.5 Interlagos square and they cleared Wilwood SL6 on 14" ZO6 rotors, Stoptech ST60 with Stoptech 355mm rotors, and C6Z06 brakes. Pic in sig is Interlagos fronts.

Interlagos 10.5" wheels: while they have great brake clearance, and work with 305 and 315mm wide tires on C5's, on a BASE C6 that is low on coilovers, you will not fit wider than 285mm width tires front or rear.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:01 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Tom

Hope you find something soon; Brakes shipped yesterday! lol

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Wheel Advice to support Wilwood Big Brakes

Quick Reply: C6 Wheel Advice to support Wilwood Big Brakes