Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 NASA Nationals Sonoma in my ST2/TT2 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 07:28 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Default 2014 NASA Nationals Sonoma in my ST2/TT2 Corvette

After my big disappointment at the T1 Runoffs, we made some quick repairs to my 99 C5 to prep for the Nasa West Nationals at Sonoma in ST2. Last year we put the car on pole position in ST2 at the Nationals winning both qualifying races, but due to brake issues had to DNF in the final race. At this year's T1 Runoffs we again put the car on pole position with the fastest qualifying laps 3 days in a row, but were punted off the track before the first turn in the big race for another DNF. This was a pattern I hoped to break at Sonoma . We wanted to prove that not only can we turn fast laps in this old C5 against the latest and greatest cars in nasa and scca, but we can also race to the front. My engine was built early this year for SCCA rules by Synergy Motorports and consists of a cammed ls6 with stock heads and intake manifold, built for reliability and high revs. In T1 and ST2 I run a 60 mm restrictor in the throttle body to make about 385 whp.

At Sonoma I was pleasantly surprised to see Greg and his NASA East championship lotus made the trip out West for this event. Greg's a great driver in a perfect car for Sonoma's technical and tight road course. Last year's ST2 champions JR/Burke also came out west to race ST1 but had engine troubles all weekend with a bad maf. Other than Greg, the ST2 turnout was very disappointing. VERY disappointing! So much so that halfway through the weekend Greg and I decided to switch to ST1 with 10 cars even though it meant starting in the back of the pack for the championship race. While still in ST2 trim I went out Friday morning and put down a PB and track record qual lap of 1:39.3 which ended up being the fastest ST2/TT2 lap of the weekend and also the fastest for ST1/TT1 . Here it is:

Unlike the SCCA weekend, I had a lot of good racing with 2 qualifying 30 minute races and the final 45 minute championship race. My car ran great all weekend and all I had to do after the event was change my oil. Funny how that works when nobody hits your car . Here is the championship race where we worked from back of the pack up to 2nd place for a podium finish. If I had started in the front row in ST1 I think I might have had something for the winning ST1 997 GT3 cup car. We did take 1st place in TT2 at nationals with a new track record.

Championship Race:

Big thanks to TC Design for all the help throughout the year with car setup and coaching and Synergy Motorsports for the engine and exhaust work. Also thanks to Trackspec Motorsports who let me try his hood louvers this year, Wolf Vinyl for my wrap, Hoosier Tire West and Hoosier Tires, and Abel Chevrolet for parts and service. I'm not sure what our plans are for 2015 yet, but Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the corvette forum peeps.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:36 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats Bill, great driving and great job stepping up to ST1 to make it more fun!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Congrats, Bill. A bit of redemption here, huh?

Great first lap on that restart.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:47 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Congratulations and nice drive !!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:15 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys and yes it was rewarding and fun to race in ST1 and finish strong. I wish the Runoffs were at any other track next year besides Daytona. Couldn't be farther from where I live and it's a horsepower track which isn't very interesting to me or my car. Maybe the following year at Mid Ohio I'll give it another shot, I've always wanted to try that track. Next year nasa has the western championships at Laguna which will be fun. The more I drive that track, the more I like it.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:36 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for posting the videos, it was fun watching you passing and being passed.

Congrats on the great finish!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:53 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Congrats! Glad to see the great results.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats!
Old 11-30-2014, 10:25 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

I wonder what the next goto car will be for track duty. At this rate, I'm sure your C5 can easily last a couple of more seasons as you continue to simply get faster.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:05 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Thanks for posting the videos, it was fun watching you passing and being passed.

Congrats on the great finish!
Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Congrats! Glad to see the great results.
Originally Posted by Z06Tracker
Congrats!
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Robert R1
I wonder what the next goto car will be for track duty. At this rate, I'm sure your C5 can easily last a couple of more seasons as you continue to simply get faster.
Do you mean in general or for me personally? My car needs a refresh this winter. I think as long as the frame stays straight, I will keep running the C5. The C5 chassis is still as good as anything out there. I have thought about racing a miata or stock car from time to time. But my C5 runs so good and is so fun to drive/race!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:45 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

After talking with my racing buddies in CA, we have decided on a path for racing next year. Runoffs are all the way back East and it's hard for us all to fit in the same class in SCCA with it's tricky rules. So we decided to try and pull racers together from multiple classes into ST2 and run a Western ST2 Championship Series! Might be something for the East Coast guys to think about putting together also. Our series will be at the following tracks overlapping between Norcal and Socal regions:

1. Willow Springs International Raceway - February 28, March 1, 2015
2. Buttonwillow Raceway Park – April 18-19, 2015
3. Auto Club Speedway – May 16-17, 2015
4. Sonoma Raceway – June 20- 21, 2015
5. Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - July 31-August 2, 2015
6. Thunderhill Raceway – August 29-30, 2015
7. Buttonwillow Raceway Park – October 10-11, 2015

Here's the scoop:

Racing people, we are consolidating our cars and racers into a new West Coast series next year framed within NASA ST2 rules and events! ST2 is the easiest class to get the most cars registered and involved and will keep racing costs down and cars evenly matched. The rules are very flexible to all makes and models of cars and are based on a power to weight formula of 8 lbs/hp uncorrected. The goal of the series is to focus our contingent of Western racers into one series consisting of 7 races on the best tracks in the West from Cal Speedway to Thunderhill and everything in between. The focus will be on season points to encourage participation in all events and we invite new and experienced racers to join us. We will be offering coaching and car setup help for newer racers if desired. We will race together and enjoy BBQ/beers on Sat nights after the races. The Laguna Seca Championship race will be in the middle of the season, but the points for that race will be the same as any other event. One of the 7 races can be thrown out at the end of the season for points totals and we will provide championship trophies to the top 3 points leaders. If you have any questions about how to get your car into ST2 please ask us.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redtopz
Thanks guys!

Do you mean in general or for me personally? My car needs a refresh this winter. I think as long as the frame stays straight, I will keep running the C5. The C5 chassis is still as good as anything out there. I have thought about racing a miata or stock car from time to time. But my C5 runs so good and is so fun to drive/race!
I mean in general. I personally think the C5/Z has better feel and feedback than the C6Z. No doubt my C6Z is faster but with a little work, I think my C5Z even with it's wear and tear could keep up. People don't believe me when I tell them that though!
The extra HP on the C6Z is probably it's best attribute over the C5Z.

I do wonder if after a couple of more years the C7 will be more C5 like in it's track prowess. That guy who ran the low 50's at BWillow on Michelin SS really showed what it's capable of and he complemented the feel and feedback which to me is exactly what the C5 excelled at over the C6 platform.

Looks like I'll have to join your for a couple of the events just for the car coaching, setup tips and beer Looking forward to getting smoked!

Last edited by Robert R1; 12-01-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:09 AM
0John@TrackSpec
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Bill! See you at Willow in Feb.

John@trackspec
Old 12-02-2014, 11:10 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

I mean in general. I personally think the C5/Z has better feel and feedback than the C6Z. No doubt my C6Z is faster but with a little work, I think my C5Z even with it's wear and tear could keep up. People don't believe me when I tell them that though!
The extra HP on the C6Z is probably it's best attribute over the C5Z.

I do wonder if after a couple of more years the C7 will be more C5 like in it's track prowess. That guy who ran the low 50's at BWillow on Michelin SS really showed what it's capable of and he complemented the feel and feedback which to me is exactly what the C5 excelled at over the C6 platform.

Looks like I'll have to join your for a couple of the events just for the car coaching, setup tips and beer Looking forward to getting smoked!
Yeah the C7 sounds like a great car! But a C6Z turned a 1:44 at the time attack shattering the limited record. I agree a C5 is a great platform though and with some upgrades can run with the newer vettes.

So are you thinking about racing next year or maybe doing time trials? We would be happy to help you out and get you into our racing series!

Originally Posted by John@TrackSpec
Congrats Bill! See you at Willow in Feb.

John@trackspec
Cool!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redtopz
Yeah the C7 sounds like a great car! But a C6Z turned a 1:44 at the time attack shattering the limited record. I agree a C5 is a great platform though and with some upgrades can run with the newer vettes.

So are you thinking about racing next year or maybe doing time trials? We would be happy to help you out and get you into our racing series!

Cool!
Depends primarily on if I stay where I'm at or if I start my own business which would take a capital commitment and delay my track activities.

Regardless of when, I do plan on doing TT's first and then the limited running in the race series before fully committing to a season.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

A couple observations. You're very simply a much better driver.

Does the driver in the red Viper know they paid to use the whole track? I am not sure I have ever seen a more obvious use of power to try and stay ahead and no clue where to put the car at corner entry. Nice pass to get him and man did he waste a lot of your time.

Same deal to a lesser extent with your pass for P2. They looked like they were having a tough time managing the tires off the slower corners but if you're not getting to your apexes and pinching the car off while still trying to go fast it mows through rear tires. That's a fast car. Nice job getting by.

You simply use all the track and unwind the wheel. Car get's out of shape a couple of times and on the limit the rest. You are an extremely good racing car driver. If I had a team I would want you on it. Very courteous in traffic but waste as little time as you have to. I could and will watch that video 50 times. Nice job at the wheel and the car works fantastic. You have to be very happy. Congrats on the exceptional performance!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:22 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Depends primarily on if I stay where I'm at or if I start my own business which would take a capital commitment and delay my track activities.

Regardless of when, I do plan on doing TT's first and then the limited running in the race series before fully committing to a season.
Awesome, sounds good!

Originally Posted by Racingswh
A couple observations. You're very simply a much better driver.

Does the driver in the red Viper know they paid to use the whole track? I am not sure I have ever seen a more obvious use of power to try and stay ahead and no clue where to put the car at corner entry. Nice pass to get him and man did he waste a lot of your time.

Same deal to a lesser extent with your pass for P2. They looked like they were having a tough time managing the tires off the slower corners but if you're not getting to your apexes and pinching the car off while still trying to go fast it mows through rear tires. That's a fast car. Nice job getting by.

You simply use all the track and unwind the wheel. Car get's out of shape a couple of times and on the limit the rest. You are an extremely good racing car driver. If I had a team I would want you on it. Very courteous in traffic but waste as little time as you have to. I could and will watch that video 50 times. Nice job at the wheel and the car works fantastic. You have to be very happy. Congrats on the exceptional performance!
Wow, very nice thank you! Nice confidence boost for me before the 25 hour race this weekend . I agree the red viper was driving his mirrors instead of racing to win. I tried probably 6 different techniques to pass him and the hard launch coming out of the carousel luckily worked. His car is fast and he actually brakes very late, which makes him hard to pass. Sonoma is a funny track, it has great grip before noon and then after lunch the track feels like there's oil on it. We raced at the worst time for Sonoma, right after lunch. Later in the day as the sun goes down the grip comes back. And yes, I'm very happy with the car. Lots of testing and hard work on setup this year. Again, thanks to TC Design and Synergy Motorsports for their help with car setup and engine work!

Last edited by redtopz; 12-04-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 NASA Nationals Sonoma in my ST2/TT2 Corvette

Old 12-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

What an awesome race Bill. I was leaning forward and on the edge of my seat the whole. I sure wish I could have been at that race.

I will see you next season and the Western States ST Championship series kick-off at WSIR.

Aren't those Trackspec hood louvers awesome!

Oli
Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the podium spots. Not sure if you have seen it yet, but NASA's Speed News had a couple great shots of your car on pages 32 and 42

http://www.speednewsmag.com/DecSE2014.html
Old 12-05-2014, 12:24 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

In for st2 series on at least a few of those races, including laguna. Are we going to have an email list?

Quick Reply: 2014 NASA Nationals Sonoma in my ST2/TT2 Corvette