Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Corvette Community loses a great instructor and a friend to all -- Steve Landstra

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 12:53 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default The Corvette Community loses a great instructor and a friend to all -- Steve Landstra

It's with a heavy heart that I share with you the sad news of the recent passing of forum member Steve Landstra (SLandstra_Z06).

Steve was a talented and knowledgeable ambassador for Corvette and played a key role at National Corvette Museum HPDE events. He served as an on-track instructor, teaching drivers of all levels how to drive their cars safely at speed. Steve was also a nationally certified PCA (Porsche Club of America) instructor. Regardless of make or model, Steve enthusiastically helped countless HPDE students grow and develop their driving skills on track.

Steve built a solid driving skills foundation as an autocrosser before discovering his love of HPDE. Both he and his wife Lainey were passionate for the sport of driving.

Steve will be laid to rest in his home town of Grand Rapids, Michigan. A viewing will be held on Thursday, December 4th from 2-4pm and 6-8pm at O'Brien-Eggebeen-Gerst Funeral Home, 3980 Cascade Road SE, Grand Rapids. The Funeral Service is on Friday, December 5th at 11am. at St. Peter the Apostle Church.

In lieu of flowers, Lainey is requesting donations to be made in Steve's honor to The Foundation for Traffic Safety Education, founded by professional race car driver, Andy Pilgrim. The Traffic Safety Education Foundation’s mission is to educate new drivers, parents, teachers and children of all ages about the deadly problems associated with distracted driving and other important traffic safety issues. You can learn more here:

http://www.trafficsafetyeducationfoundation.org/

Rest In Peace Steve.

Mike Newlander
Old 12-01-2014, 06:19 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

This is very sad news. I met Steve during his SCCA autocross days. A gentleman and an enthusiastic participant, for sure.

Deepest condolences to his family and (many) friends.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I miss you already Steve. One of the nicest and most considerate people I have ever met. We are both, Yvonne & I heartbroken and stunned.
I hope you and Frank have found each other and racing C7 Z06's together by now.
Peace & Love my friend.

Glenn & Yvonne Murphy
Old 12-01-2014, 08:36 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

I met Steve not long after I started the Museum's HPDE program and valued not only his instructional skills but his careful considered thoughts and advice. When I started work on a Northeast project a short time ago I immediately reached out to Steve for his guidance and assistance. The track world has lost a great leader.

Last edited by rocsvette; 12-01-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:42 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Old 12-01-2014, 09:17 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Sad news indeed! Our hearts and prays go out to Lainey and Steve's family. A good guy that loved the sport. He will be missed. JD
Old 12-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

I am very sad to hear this, Steve was a great guy. RIP
Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

I was deffinately shocked to hear this RIP Steve we will all miss you and your kind spirit down here. Hope you and Frank G aren't burning through too many hoosiers up on the big track already.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:30 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Our condolences from the ECS crew.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:22 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

RIP Steve. I will miss pointing you by.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 AM
VLE-OPD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve you were a great friend to us on the Corvette Team, and I am sure I speak for Tom Wallace and every member of the team that knew you, you will be sorely missed. We will always remember you as a very professional and dedicated individual to the Corvette community, willing to share your expertise, knowledge, and counsel with anyone who needed it. Our deepest condolences go out to Lainey, and your family who will be in our thoughts and prayers. RIP Steve!

Gerry Wright

Corvette Team June 2006 @ Putnam Park
Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

One of the nicest guys I've ever met at the track. I will miss him.

RIP Steve
Old 12-01-2014, 11:30 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

So Sorry to hear of Steve's passing. I have always enjoyed being around Steve and Lainey at track events. He was an excellent driver, but more important he was an exceptional person. I am certain that God has a special place for him in heaven.

My condolences to the family.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:57 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad news. Best wishes for Lainey and the rest of his family.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So sorry to hear this, thoughts and prayers with Lainey and family.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I read the sad news on Facebook today.
My thoughts are with his wife Lainey. May Steve rest in peace.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:41 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to read of his passing. I never talked to him, but did see him around most of the NCM events. Seemed like a good guy.

Condolences to the family.

Get notified of new replies

To The Corvette Community loses a great instructor and a friend to all -- Steve Landstra

Old 12-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I only got to meet Steve once or twice but it was easy to see that he was a great guy, passionate about cars and truly enjoyed tracking and helping others try to master the art. He was a true motor head at hart and an asset to all of us in the community that will be missed. Rest in peace my friend.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 AM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Steve Landstra...

Steve was my good friend and passionate about Corvettes. He loved his Z06 Corvette and more than that he loved driving it to its fullest for every minute he could.... We used to joke and laugh about how he just could never miss a minute on track. He just loved coming by the shop and working on the car or playing in the trailer and organizing and getting ready for the next event. I still remember like yesterday the day he spilled his tool box and the two of us sat there in the grass like little kids laughing and sorting through all of the sockets and wrenches and stuff until everything was back in its exact spot.

Steve and I first met about 19 years ago and it was one of those times that you knew instantly this was a kindred spirit. We spent hours talking about cars, and racing, and tracks and jobs and business and just about everything. And did I say Corvettes? We did not always agree but we always seemed to be able to find common ground over and over and over....

Steve was active with SCCA, Corvette Museum events and local Porsche club events... He was a great ambassador for the sport of sports cars...

Steve, and his long time friend Frank Gonzalez were two great guys always willing to help any one with car issues and as instructors make them better drivers. As a driver Steve just kept getting better and better, working constantly on his technique. Steve and Frank were never at a loss for time to help. What an example they always set. Steve loved instructing others on track and was a gateway to on track experiences for many.

I will remember those times and hours and events for ever. My heart is broken that he is gone and there is no way to quantify and explain the loss I feel now. I can only hope that he has found the peace and happiness that he so desparately was seeking.

Rest in Peace my friend, we will all miss you.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:35 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

my condolences Joe I know you and Steve were good friends... I will never forget the ride Steve took me on when I was at autobahn and we were playing cat and mouse with Frank on the track at autobahn. Many memories of both Steve and Frank from meeting them both a few times.

Quick Reply: The Corvette Community loses a great instructor and a friend to all -- Steve Landstra