Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA to Announce New Partnership & Racing Series @ PRI

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Default NASA to Announce New Partnership & Racing Series @ PRI

...announcement to come at PRI this Thursday. Will report back what I find out.

Following is the pre-show release/link, etc...

http://www.performanceracing.com/pre...ke-anything-it

NASA To Announce New Partnership In Unique And Innovative Racing Series Unlike Anything Before It

NASA will be unveiling a brand new innovative series unlike anything currently available in the motorsports community in conjunction with a new partnership at the NASA booth, #3309, on Thursday, Dec. 11, at 3 pm. We will reveal the items under the silk sheets at 3 pm sharp, along with guest speakers to answer questions related to the new secret program a year in the making.

The press conference is scheduled to take only 20 minutes and will explain everything involved in the new series and why you should be so interested in it.

Please stop by and see what all the excitement is about!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yet another spec series?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

I'll try to remember to post what I find Thursday afternoon...will be having a cigar at Nicky Blaine's...
Old 12-10-2014, 04:30 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
...announcement to come at PRI this Thursday. Will report back what I find out.

Following is the pre-show release/link, etc...

http://www.performanceracing.com/pre...ke-anything-it

NASA To Announce New Partnership In Unique And Innovative Racing Series Unlike Anything Before It

NASA will be unveiling a brand new innovative series unlike anything currently available in the motorsports community in conjunction with a new partnership at the NASA booth, #3309, on Thursday, Dec. 11, at 3 pm. We will reveal the items under the silk sheets at 3 pm sharp, along with guest speakers to answer questions related to the new secret program a year in the making.

The press conference is scheduled to take only 20 minutes and will explain everything involved in the new series and why you should be so interested in it.

Please stop by and see what all the excitement is about!
Which PRI? theres more than one!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Prototypes.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/N...id=TtTpLirMSMc
Old 12-11-2014, 04:42 PM
FormulaRedline
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like NASA is making cars now:
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/N...id=TtTpLirMSMc

Élan Technologies is making the 1550 lbs. chassis and Mazda is providing sealed 185hp, 2 liter engines. Unfortunately the unassembled kit costs about $60k...probably better spent on a new C7
Old 12-11-2014, 11:06 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is exactly the type of racing I would like to do. Just wish the car was lower cost. Love the idea.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:12 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Prototype != Spec series. WTF
Old 12-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I hate the Pro spec series - IndyCar & Nascar.

And the amateur spec series (in SCCA), Spec Miata and Spec Racer Ford are boring.

But, when you move up to a fast car, it's a bit different.

I worked for the west coast distributor for Formula SCCA open wheel cars building them and was the crew chief at the track, occasionally had a sponsored ride.

The cars are fast enough that you forget about the "spec" part. 10-13 seconds a lap faster than a T1.

The $60k price is very reasonable vs the cost to build a similar car, and (more important) the cost to run a spec car vs a car with open rules.

The FSCCA's 8 years ago when I was building them cost $49k and we charged $5k to build and paint one.

They ran a Mazda 2.3 with a 5 speed sequential, Penske doubles, full data acquisition.
The only upgrade allowed is a radio, you don't have to play "keep up with the Jones" on high dollar race parts.

Costs to run the car were muck lower than a similar open rules car.

Tires - $750 a set - only running qualifying and the race on a new set (practice on used tires) and they would last 3 events vs $850 for sticky Goodyears that would last 1 race.

Brakes - 2 sets of pads for a 10 -12 race series, rotors - 3-4 seasons (that's 30 events min.).

Engines: lower redline kept the maintenance way down. Full rebuild was $4,500.

The gray car was our rental car, 4 years old. The yellow was a new one I built, the new car would not pull away from the older one on the straights just because the motor was new.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2014, 03:04 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how a $60k car plus spares, etc. is supposed to be affordable, but it looks pretty neat. You still need to be a 0.1%'er to race it.

Around 10 lbs/hp at the wheels with driver makes it way better than a lot of the slower spec series stuff like spec miata.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:38 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it's a great idea and hope they pull it off.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:37 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default stock cars too!

Be really kewel to build 400 hp tube framed matching stock cars, easily build them for $40,000 and sell for $60k put $20,000 dollars profit per car towards running the series and some Prize money! Yeah babay!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wonder if unassembled kits would be available?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:10 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by parsonsj
Wonder if unassembled kits would be available?
Originally Posted by FormulaRedline
Unfortunately the unassembled kit costs about $60k...probably better spent on a new C7
Old 12-18-2014, 11:22 AM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah! Cool! Unassembled kits ARE available. It's not clear what the $60k gets you. Maybe the unassembled kits are less expensive...

The NP series is a collaborative effort between NASA and Élan Technologies that will feature an all-new affordable prototype racing car called the NP01. The goal of the NP series is to give rise to the most affordable prototype class ever created.
NASA partnered with Élan Technologies to design and construct the NP01. Élan will build each NP01 to order and ship them either as an easily assembled kit or completed vehicle per the customer's request. The NP01 will be unlike anything currently available in motor racing. With an introductory complete kit price of just $59,995, the affordable new prototype will feature a closed cockpit design for increased driver protection. The NP01 weighs just 1550 lbs. and boasts an estimated top speed of 155 mph. The NP01 will be powered by a sealed 185-horsepower, 2-liter Mazda power plant mated to a 6-speed sequential transmission.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm reading that as the "easily assembled kit" is $60k and the "completed vehicle" option is at additional cost. Not that I could buy one even if the kit was $30k (without selling the vette, at least)
Old 12-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by parsonsj
Ah! Cool! Unassembled kits ARE available. It's not clear what the $60k gets you. Maybe the unassembled kits are less expensive...

ship them either as an easily assembled kit .[/i]
Easily assembled kit - Better know what you're doing if you go to build one. Pics of the FSCCA kits I was building:
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To NASA to Announce New Partnership & Racing Series @ PRI

Old 12-18-2014, 05:42 PM
FormulaRedline
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
Easily assembled kit - Better know what you're doing if you go to build one. Pics of the FSCCA kits I was building:

A-arm mounts directly on the transmission. In board shocks mounted down the centerline. Bellcranks connecting to a tiny (aka light) anti sway bar, which I can't tell from the picture but am guessing is a rotating blade for adjustability? That's my type of car! Hopefully the NASA vehicle is laid out as well.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I am not sure who their target demographic is. The people that can afford to buy in and race these cars are already racing ST3-U and GTS 4-U with NASA or the upper classes with NARRA.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline

A-arm mounts directly on the transmission. In board shocks mounted down the centerline. Bellcranks connecting to a tiny (aka light) anti sway bar, which I can't tell from the picture but am guessing is a rotating blade for adjustability? That's my type of car! Hopefully the NASA vehicle is laid out as well.
It's a nice unit, Elite 5 speed sequential. Per the spec rule the sway bar is not cockpit adjustable like the Atlantics I work on.

Here's a front setup with the cockpit adjuster cable, one blade for each corner. The bars in this setup are pretty beefy due to the heavy front springs (downforce car).
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: NASA to Announce New Partnership & Racing Series @ PRI