Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a first time road racer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 01:31 PM
Crash99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice for a first time road racer?

In a couple of weeks I'll be driving my car ('99 A4 coupe) for the first time on a road course (Thunderhill Park in Willows). Can I get some advice on the following?

1) What should I consider when prepping the car? The only mods are a Blackwing, ZO6 wheels and Michelin Pilots (275/17 F 295/18 R) and ZO6 sway bars (w/ stock springs & shocks). Should I replace the brakes pads with something more agressive? What about brake lines and brake fluid? Transmission cooler? I don't want to spend a ton of money on something I might only do a few times but I'd also feeler better knowing I will be able to stop repeatedly and also not burn up the tranny. Sessions are 20 minutes long. Any thoughts?

2) Any advice on the track itself? Places to pay particular attention? Also, I've heard that downshifting an A4 into a corner might not be wise. Thoughts?

3) One last question: AH on/off or Comp Mode?

TIA, Crash
Old 08-06-2002, 01:47 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Re: Advice for a first time road racer? (Crash99)

1. First go over the car and top off everything. Make sure that EVERYTHING is tight. Not so much a concern on newer cars but none the less. A little more aggressive pad may be all right but don't go too aggressive first time out. If this is your first time out you shold not even be going fast enough to abuse anything. Just get a feel for the car and the speed. Try to learn as much as possible.

Take it easy and never lose your concentration. That is the most important thing. As for down shifting, never down shift in the middle of a corner. When you let the clutch out it will most likely spin the car. You should have all your shifting done before you enter the corner. Your braking should aslo be done before you get to the corner, unless you are trailbraking.

Go slow the first few times out and learn the lines of the track, don't try to "go fast" once you feel more comfortable and learn more the speed will come naturally.

Have fun
Old 08-06-2002, 04:02 PM
kraff
Burning Brakes

Read my other post in this section to learn what not to do :yesnod:
First day out, I'd make sure your car is in good mechanical condition, but not get too overworked about "performance" stuff. There is a good checklist for mechanical stuff at the speedventures.net website if you want a guide.
I hope you'll have an instructor to help with the most important part, the line, and you might think about buying Skip Barbers book "Going Faster".
Good luck, be safe, and keep your on the course. ;)
Old 08-06-2002, 05:36 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a couple of weeks I'll be driving my car ('99 A4 coupe) for the first time on a road course (Thunderhill Park in Willows). Can I get some advice on the following?

1) What should I consider when prepping the car? The only mods are a Blackwing, ZO6 wheels and Michelin Pilots (275/17 F 295/18 R) and ZO6 sway bars (w/ stock springs & shocks). Should I replace the brakes pads with something more agressive? What about brake lines and brake fluid? Transmission cooler? I don't want to spend a ton of money on something I might only do a few times but I'd also feeler better knowing I will be able to stop repeatedly and also not burn up the tranny. Sessions are 20 minutes long. Any thoughts?

2) Any advice on the track itself? Places to pay particular attention? Also, I've heard that downshifting an A4 into a corner might not be wise. Thoughts?

3) One last question: AH on/off or Comp Mode?

TIA, Crash
Forget about mods and shifting the first time out..
Do not try to drive fast... Get performance out of your head all together. You will never ever get the lines right if you go fast on your first time on the track. Work on smooth. Use the whole track.. be patient almost every new driver turns in too fast and does early apexes. If the exit point of the turn is marked look for that and use it as soon as you can see it. By looking up you will have a much better chance at a proper to late apex. Make sure you are edge to edge on the track. Rookies tend to stay in the middle. Smooth beats "fast" everytime. You first have to go slow to learn how to go fast. Look up! It's just like trying to draw any straight line. You can't do it unless you take a long angle view of where you are going. Did I mention you have to go slow to go fast? ;) ;) As far as TC/AHS set it for Comp mode. It makes for a good safety net. Have fun. If you do it right speed will come without you making any extra effort.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:36 AM
0to60
Racer

Road racing is VERY brake intensive. You can run stock brakes if you want, but make sure you have new pads on, as one weekend of high speed (120+) road racing will go through stock pads. Keep in mind, you can go as fast as you want on the straightaways, but you are gonna have to scrub all that speed off by the time the turn comes up. You'll see what I mean. At Road America, I started the weekend with maybe 75% pads left, and it definitely made me go a bit slower (I wanted to make sure my pads lasted the weekend).

Don't overdrive your car. Just drive around the track like you are on a deserted highway for a while, until you get a feel for things. At first, it will be very similar to driving on the street, just with no cops to worry about.

Pay attention to the flags. Ultra important! When a caution flag is displayed, start looking around on the track for the REASON.

As far as your traction control, it won't really be a factor in road racing. You never get all that sideways on a big fast course. AutoX is another story...
Old 08-07-2002, 11:48 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: Advice for a first time road racer? (0to60)

As far as your traction control, it won't really be a factor in road racing. You never get all that sideways on a big fast course. AutoX is another story...
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one!
Old 08-07-2002, 12:21 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,390 Likes on 1,240 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Advice for a first time road racer? (Richin Chicago)

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one!

I may be driving a C4 instead of a C5, but it is not only possible, but likely that at some point you WILL get sideways, or all the way around, or off the track, etc... on a road course. If you don't, then you really have never experienced the limits of the car. As to the other stuff, bleed your brakes before you go, and take an extra set of pads. Otherwise, just do like everyone has been saying and take it slow and try to learn the course.

Oh yeah, don't forget to HAVE FUN!!!!! :D :D :D

[Modified by EvanLT1, 10:22 AM 8/7/2002]

[Modified by EvanLT1, 10:22 AM 8/7/2002]
Old 08-07-2002, 12:29 PM
SoCal Rebell
Pro

Hey Crash, how ya doin'? Thunderhill is a GREAT track, lots of fun, very safe with lots of runoff. Ok as far as the car goes make sure your pads have at least 3/4 of their life left, Thill is hard on brakes compared to some other tracks, stock pads should be OK but if you're gonna change them out you may wanna go with a street/race pad. I would definately recommend you change out your brake fluid to Motul or something similar with a 400 degree or higher "WET" boiling point. Even with it being your first time you might boil the fluid and then you lose al your braking, not a good feeling! Make sure everything is tight and your lug nuts are torqued down (I use 90 lb. on my Viper).

Driving the track, get an instructor the first session or two, have him/her drive your car with you as a passanger a couple of times around the track to show you the line and then you drive with the instuctor as a passanger showing you what you're doing wrong. There are 3 blind turns that you'll have to get used to, start sloooooow and build up speed as you feel comfortable, first blind turn is #3 and off camber right hand sweeper, take it easy here, lots of cars lose it because it is off camber, stay in the center and gradually work your way right. Second blind turn is #5a a duezy, stay waaaay right and turn in REAL early to the left hand berm (this is a real scary turn the first few times). You can take the back straight alot faster then you think but build up to it, third blind turn is #9, you'll be going up a hill stay wide right, start your turn early and stay WAAAAY left you will end up in the middle of the track going downhill. Take your time start slow and build up to going faster when you are comfortable. As my car has no traction control I can't help you there.

One other thing, bring LOTS of water with you, it gets HOT there and there is little shade and no place to hang out indoors, a pop up canopy would be good if you have one. Above all HAVE FUN and report back :cheers:
Old 08-07-2002, 02:27 PM
Rebelskum
Instructor

Default Re: Advice for a first time road racer? (SoCal Rebell)

first blind turn is #3 and off camber right hand sweeper, take it easy here, lots of cars lose it because it is off camber, stay in the center and gradually work your way right. Second blind turn is #5a a duezy, stay waaaay right and turn in REAL early to the left hand berm (this is a real scary turn the first few times). You can take the back straight alot faster then you think but build up to it, third blind turn is #9, you'll be going up a hill stay wide right, start your turn early and stay WAAAAY left you will end up in the middle of the track going downhill.
This is right on. Just to add to the above, #3 brake BEFORE the tip of the slight hill on this turn (which is the beginning of this turn) or else you'll lose it if you brake to late. Always brake before hills though.

An instructor will help, because they will tell you ALL about this stuff.

#5a is fun once you get the hang of it. And so is #9. More likea breath of fresh air once you get it right and realize you're going down the optimum line on the exit of these turns.

It gets hot out there, keep that in mind for you AND your car. So try not to push it too much towards the end of the day.

:cheers:
Old 08-07-2002, 02:59 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

If possible, ALWAYS walk the track, and after every corner, look back at the exit of the corner. Everybody should do this, even if you have been to the track 1000 times.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:57 PM
M2001
Burning Brakes

How about prepping your personal safety with a good helmet, neck roll pading, gloves, firesuit and maybe a harness (5 or 6 point)? I think any C4 or C5 can generate the kinds of speeds where the use of such safety equipment is manditory. Just food for thought....
Old 08-07-2002, 10:23 PM
Mike Schriber
Drifting

Should be fun!

Stock pads with at least 75% left should be fine for a two day event. Make sure you at least bleed your brakes. Replacing the fluid with Motul 600 would be even better.

I would recommend putting the car into Competition Mode. It works great. Just take note of when it's correcting so you can adjust your driving and learn from your mistakes.

Remember not to lift off the throttle on a turn, and if you happen to spin, don't keep trying to save it. Slam on the brakes and steer straight.

And last but not least... have a great time!

Mike :flag
Old 08-07-2002, 10:46 PM
Dr. Z
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I know Thunderhill pretty well now - 5 days at the track.
The above suggestions are all good.
Your stock brakes should be fine as a newbie. I'm just now replacing mine after a dozen track days. You don't want to crash your car, right? Driving slower at first and gradually picking up speed after you learn the course (proper driving line) and turns is the safest way to start. I drive 7-8/10ths in the turns but also with braking - ie brake early to give yourself a safety net. There are many video's of the track on the net so you can get a feel for it before hand. Competition mode works fine but you have to get off the gas yourself if you get in trouble. If you are driving smooth at 7/10ths the active handling shouldn't go on. If you go faster it starts to inhibit your driving.

Remember - in a spin two feet in. Also if you get two wheels off the track don't try to get right back on - one of the most common ways to crash. Either keep two wheels off and GRADUALLY get back on or go all the way off the track. I have seen several BAD crashes from this. last time I was at Thunderhill a kid totalled a 01 M3 after going two wheels off and then cutting across the track into the wall.

One of the clubs I have joined will be there Sept 4. At the bottom of the page there is some good reading material. http://www.ncracing.org/instruction.html

Just be smart and drive within your abilities and knowledge of the track.

Pete

:cheers:
Old 08-07-2002, 11:38 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As said check pads, change fluid, check all suspension as mine was loose at the A-arm once, and tq wheels. Change your name :lol: :seeya Be safe and don't go to fast, learn the first day with an instructor :seeya
Old 08-08-2002, 12:19 AM
M2001
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Advice for a first time road racer? (0to60)

I totally agree! :rolleyes:
What you see here is a fine example of "chia" road racing vehicle. If you drive really REALLY FAST, you have to worry about grass growing on the hood and roof of your car.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:19 PM
David Lively
Pro

Default Re: Advice for a first time road racer? (M2001)

That's why trucks shouldn't be allowed on the track. Geeze...

Advice: extra pads, fresh fluid, Traction control OFF (it can CAUSE a spin if it kicks in at the wrong moment), and:

Never hit the brake while the steering wheel is turned. I refer to this combination as the "Spin button", with good reason. There are some gray areas here, but you won't find them your first time out.

Get an instructor, even if it's not required at your event.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:40 PM
John Frank
Instructor

Crash, SO far you have read good accurate advice. I started this myself about 3 years ago. Back then, and now as well I have found the instructor ride along to be useful. If you have a really patient and engaging instructor you will find yourself moving around the track nicely by your 2nd day.

All the member responses are enough without more of the same. SMooth is good, and you'll hear that from the track instructors. Speed will find your degree of smoothness.

Count on dealing with the addiction factor..........on Monday you won't be able to get your head out of the car and focus on work. Have fun.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,012 Likes on 5,373 Posts

Default Re: Advice for a first time road racer? (John Frank)

If your pads are above 75% you will be OK. If you put new pads in make sure you get plenty of street driving before you go so the pads are broken in before you start to use them hard. New pads will fall apart after several sessions if they haven't been broken in. OEM pads will taper with hard use and after the second or third session you may notice the pedal start to go low. This usually does not indicate a problem but you may need to pump the pedal on application in order to get it high enough near the end of the event. A day or two before the event flush the brake fluid with Ford fluid since it has a 550 degree dry boiling point which is what you need to have. No matter how good a fluid's wet boiling point is it is not as good as the dry boiling point and you need the highest temp you can get for a reasonable price. Since you are driving an automatic I would recommend an auxiliary tranny cooler since automatics tend to get very hot during road racing. No sense having your fun spoiled because the tranny is overheating. Then go through the car and check all the critical nuts and bolts for proper tightness. Double check your seat belts to make sure they are in good condition and make sure you have a good helmet. Whatever you do on the track listen to your instructor and do not expect to be Michael Shumacher the first time out. It takes many thousands of hours of seat time to be as good as he is if you can ever get that good.
Bill
Old 08-08-2002, 11:06 PM
M2001
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Advice for a first time road racer? (David Lively)

The unfortunate incident that occured to this vehicle you call a "truck," most certainly could've happen to any road racing vehicle. This nicely sorted out S-10 Blazer was built by the Carolina Rod Shop. In addition to having strong smallblock, it also has the underpinnings of a C4. If you're ever in the area of the Carolina Rod Shop, you owe it to yourself to have a look at the shop. They are very friendly people that do amazing work. Glen Dodd is the owner of the shop and I also believe he is the owner of this S-10 Blazer. I might add that you won't find a nicer gentleman than he in all of the world motorsport.

By luck, the driver Charles Lovelady escaped without serious injury.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for a first time road racer?

Quick Reply: Advice for a first time road racer?