Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Seats for a C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 05:02 PM
legomaster141
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Seats for a C5 Z06

After my first autocross event, I found out that I really need new seats for my Z06. I've been looking around a bit so far, but I want your opinions on options for my uses and size.

I daily drive my vette, but also do monthly autocross and will eventually get into HPDE. I want something that provides the support of a racing seat, but is still comfortable enough for driving hours on the freeway. I would also prefer that it have an adjustable back so I can adjust it to what's best for me, since I adjust my seat back differently between racing and daily driving. Because I'll be racing a lot, I also want it to be able to accommodate a 5 point harness.

I know a lot of people put in the Corbeau A4's in, but I've also heard that they don't move as far forward as the OEM seats. This poses an issue for me, since I'm short (5'5"), and move the OEM seat very close to all the way forward so I can push the clutch all the way in comfortably. So, I will also need a seat that is adjustable enough to accommodate for my lack of height.

Lastly, I like the memory function in my vette for the seats (and also the automatic moving back to get in and out since I move it so far forward), so if there's a way to keep that with the new seats, that'd be preferred.

I know this is a hefty list, so if I need to compromise somewhere, I will. I would just appreciate guidance and recommendations. I've read that people recommend sitting in and trying out seats, but I don't know where to do that in the Houston area, so if you happen to know somewhere, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did my first event in the C5Z last weekend and didn't find the seats anywhere nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe they'd be. Are you doing all the typical tricks with locking the belts in place before the start of a run?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have and Arizen seat on their sliders in my car and it is a huge improvement. You don't realize how much effort you put into holding yourself in until you change seats. I have spend extended periods of time in in 6+ hours on road trips and I find it very comfortable. Their sliders give it plenty of forward travel, I think it would work fine for you. It is a little more difficult getting in and out not not bad compared to many fixed back seats. Check them out, Mark is a great guy to deal with.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:04 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Truthfully, your best option is to replace the stock seats with a set of Caravaggio seats. Then, once you see the cost of doing that, we can start working on your list of requirements and seeing what really matters.

I just swapped the stock seats in my C4 for OMP seats. I went with a fixed back seat for safety. If you want to use sliders or the power seat functions, you've got to think about headroom.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:30 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Caravaggio is the only seat that will meet all of your requirements, but it can indeed do everything you asked including keeping your stock power/memory options. I think they start around $4k for a pair and take a long time to be made/shipped though, so...

On the complete other end of the spectrum, I think the Sparco R100 and some brackets/sliders could be done for like $1k total. You'd lose the power+memory options but keep the sliding and reclining functions.

Keep in mind that ANY seat change kicks you out of SCCA AS class all the way to SSP, so if you want to actually be competitive you're basically screwed.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 PM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah, I'm thinking Caravaggio is going to be the only way to do all of that. If my C5 was a daily driver I'd look really hard at those. Seems like Arizen used to have a seatback-only replacement option, but I'm not seeing it on their website right now. Might be worth contacting them...
Old 02-20-2015, 09:40 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I looked into doing the same thing when I realized I needed some better seats for the track and after all my "research" I gave in and just got a set of dedicated race seats. I felt there were too many compromises with trying to have a dual function seat. Within a few minutes I can swap out the seats and be ready to go. If you're going to spend the money on new seats at least consider going this route... I mounted mine on a set of factory sliders to make the process quicker for taking them in and out.

I have Ultrashield seats since I'm 6'3" and need as much headroom as possible however I've always found the Sparco seats to be pretty comfortable and have been curious on how the Arizen seats feel. Some of the Porsche guys I know have always had good things to say about OMP seats.

For trying out different seats I would suggest walking around during track events and asking the car owners if you could possibly try out their seat... most will be friendly enough to let you however there will probably be some who won't. This is what I ended up doing.

I live over in Spring so if your ever in northen houston your more than welcome to stop by and check out my seats and how I installed them.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Don't underestimate the cost, I'm in the process of installing sparco seats which is one of the cheaper options. All in, I'll have $3500 sunk into the install.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:15 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Don't underestimate the cost, I'm in the process of installing sparco seats which is one of the cheaper options. All in, I'll have $3500 sunk into the install.
Yeah I was not counting the harness bar or harnesses in the numbers I posted, those are another $1000 or so.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:25 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
Caravaggio is the only seat that will meet all of your requirements, but it can indeed do everything you asked including keeping your stock power/memory options. I think they start around $4k for a pair and take a long time to be made/shipped though, so...

On the complete other end of the spectrum, I think the Sparco R100 and some brackets/sliders could be done for like $1k total. You'd lose the power+memory options but keep the sliding and reclining functions.

Keep in mind that ANY seat change kicks you out of SCCA AS class all the way to SSP, so if you want to actually be competitive you're basically screwed.
R100s are not sub belt compatible FWIW.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:12 PM
jd86L98
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I currently have Carvaggio seats in my Z06, and had A4's in my Vert. The Carvaggios are more comfortable, but I think I preferred the stability of the A4's. I didn't think the A4's were uncomfortable and took my Vert on many road trips.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:28 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Before you go to the expense of a seat that may or may not work for you, look into Angel Pads, made by Angelwings Tech. They are a fraction of the cost and very effective.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (10-24-2021)
Old 02-22-2015, 10:14 PM
csamsh
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recliners are a half measure IMO. If you're going to be autocrossing and putting the car on track, A4 will leave you wanting. Most race seats are comfortable. They're made for people to race for a long time in them- they put your spine at a good angle and all that. If you sit in a race seat and it isn't comfortable, it's not the seat for you.

I've used several seats- without knowing your dimensions I'd recommend looking at a Sparco Evo2 or a Cobra Imola GT. I've used these, I'm not small, and the drive from Oklahoma City to Austin does not make me uncomfortable.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:11 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
Before you go to the expense of a seat that may or may not work for you, look into Angel Pads, made by Angelwings Tech. They are a fraction of the cost and very effective.
Absolutely agree. Start with these. After you're doing 10+ events a year then you can consider new seat alternatives. I did and it was a good year and half before I needed to move to race seats.

Keep in mind, many AM seats cause a loss of the airbag because the sensor is in the stock seat. At least that is the case with the C6 (not the case with the Carravaggios). I know some have rigged it to work but I believe they got parts from a vendor that is no longer in business or does not carry them any longer. If you do find away to keep the airbag with a replacement seat, let us know.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:53 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Absolutely agree. Start with these. After you're doing 10+ events a year then you can consider new seat alternatives. I did and it was a good year and half before I needed to move to race seats.

Keep in mind, many AM seats cause a loss of the airbag because the sensor is in the stock seat. At least that is the case with the C6 (not the case with the Carravaggios). I know some have rigged it to work but I believe they got parts from a vendor that is no longer in business or does not carry them any longer. If you do find away to keep the airbag with a replacement seat, let us know.
OP is in a C5Z. Unplugging the seat causes no issues, even with memory settings.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:00 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jd86L98
I currently have Carvaggio seats in my Z06, and had A4's in my Vert. The Carvaggios are more comfortable, but I think I preferred the stability of the A4's. I didn't think the A4's were uncomfortable and took my Vert on many road trips.
I have sat in a number of Corbeau A4's and find that the shoulder support pushes my shoulders too far forward, kind of curving them into a hunched sort of position and I am only a 40" chest size. Anyone else have the same experience?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

To DD your car with a seat change will be a challenge. I have been installing seats for months now (its taking a long time because I am a new dad). I found there are limited options for seats that fit into a C5. Now a bigger challenge is how to retain stock seat belts. I was not able to do this. I went with Sparco Evo II US seats because of my size. I'm 6'1", 230 pounds and have a 38" waist. I fit well into this mid sized seat, however there is no way to retain stock belts.

My experience is there is no straightforward way to install seats. There are few instructions. The parts are expensive and are all designed to install with stock seats. Its difficult to try seats out before buying, not sure how to do this. BUT...... When they are in, damn it changes things in a big way!

I have a thread that outlines my install to date.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rnesses-2.html

Get notified of new replies

To New Seats for a C5 Z06

Quick Reply: New Seats for a C5 Z06