Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z51 vs 2013 GS in AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:12 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default C7 Z51 vs 2013 GS in AutoX

I finally got the replacement for my 2002 Z06 last year, a 2013 GS. I haven't taken it AutoXing yet, but I'd like to start doing it again. But before I do anything with it, I'm wondering if I should switch to a C7 Z51 car first. I'm curious peoples thoughts on both cars, how do they match up performance wise (autoxing), what about the cost to run in either the stock or prepared
Pro's and Con's??

Also, should we be expecting a C7 GS next year? And if I want a autocross car the Alfa C4 looks like it will be fast.....
Old 02-26-2015, 06:57 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Yes, the Alfa 4C will be faster than either. But it will also have to run long enough to do it, which is not a strong point of Alfas.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:16 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you running with SCCA? Are you paying attention to your car's class? There's no reason a C6 GS can't be a very competitive car in AS.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:02 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dhowdy
Are you running with SCCA? Are you paying attention to your car's class? There's no reason a C6 GS can't be a very competitive car in AS.
With the rims it has it should, but tires are expensive. And I really like the LT3 interior of the C7, compared to my LT2 2013.

How does a C7 do in SS with narrower rims(which should have less expensive tires)?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:03 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Yes, the Alfa 4C will be faster than either. But it will also have to run long enough to do it, which is not a strong point of Alfas.
Well I don't drive it all that much since I work at home, and doesn't that just add character?
Old 02-27-2015, 12:09 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

i glad in your first post you asked about ss and ssp, because ssr with the base/z51 c7 would be hard. the 8.5 fronts and 10 inch rear rims on base/z51 c7 cant run the tire size the c6 GS, ZO6 run with their 9.5 fronts and 12 inch rears. i ran a base c7 last year in ssp, will run ssp again this season with z51 8a. i dont setup a car for a class, i setup the car and see what class it falls in. 18x10 front(295/30/18), 18x11 rear(315/30/18),
Old 02-27-2015, 12:48 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

I was thinking about if I wanted to sell the GS and get a LT3 Z51.
It looks like my GS runs in A class, and the C7 runs in SS. The problem with building a car and then seeing what class you wind up in, is you end up with sticky tires and headers in a class of basically race cars. I would like to be competitive somewhat, at least show up to the right fight.
A GS looks to be well placed for AS.

But I know I want to upgrade my car (well it's interior), it's just when. And like I mentioned, there will be a C7 GS coming out (but next year, or the year after?), but that pushes the price up. Decisions, decisions....
Old 02-27-2015, 01:02 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd keep your current car for now. I can't see buying a new car being a good way to save money on operating costs. The marginal difference in tire cost, when you may go through two sets in a year, is nothing.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ
I was thinking about if I wanted to sell the GS and get a LT3 Z51.
It looks like my GS runs in A class, and the C7 runs in SS. The problem with building a car and then seeing what class you wind up in, is you end up with sticky tires and headers in a class of basically race cars. I would like to be competitive somewhat, at least show up to the right fight.
A GS looks to be well placed for AS.

But I know I want to upgrade my car (well it's interior), it's just when. And like I mentioned, there will be a C7 GS coming out (but next year, or the year after?), but that pushes the price up. Decisions, decisions....
to each his own, winning a class is great, i had done that a few times in 25 years of autocrossing. now a days i like to see how well i can do overall, im lucky enough to live in a area where the best corvette/driver is at some of the events i hit. ( its great to see a corvette beat 160 other cars at a scca event) as for me i look at corvette times in all classes, xp, ss. ssr. ssp, where ever they are. to tell you the truth their are some street tire corvettes/drivers that maybe i dont want them to run hoosiers! LOL. ALSO my life would be to easy if i did not have to change wheels/tires back and forth for every event!!
Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dhowdy
I'd keep your current car for now. I can't see buying a new car being a good way to save money on operating costs. The marginal difference in tire cost, when you may go through two sets in a year, is nothing.
The goal isn't "saving" money, that's just a possible benefit.
I'm trying to see how the cars compare performance wise, and if that would save any operating cost. While not putting any money into the GS that I can't use when I move on to a C7 and stay in a competitive class.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:14 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savage
to each his own, winning a class is great, i had done that a few times in 25 years of autocrossing. now a days i like to see how well i can do overall, im lucky enough to live in a area where the best corvette/driver is at some of the events i hit. ( its great to see a corvette beat 160 other cars at a scca event) as for me i look at corvette times in all classes, xp, ss. ssr. ssp, where ever they are. to tell you the truth their are some street tire corvettes/drivers that maybe i dont want them to run hoosiers! LOL. ALSO my life would be to easy if i did not have to change wheels/tires back and forth for every event!!
Of course, but I spent many years in a car(s) that was the only one of it's kind and just wasn't as quick as other cars in class. And I would like to compete against cars that my car can compare to, so I can see how I'm doing.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z51 vs 2013 GS in AutoX

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 vs 2013 GS in AutoX