Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ST2 Race at VIR May 21&22 - recap

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:20 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
I agree to a point because that is partially true. Split times can be calculated using landmarks and whatnot. The same can be said for visual and audio cues on braking and throttle on points.

However, that information alone cannot tell you speeds through a corner, braking g's, and cornering g's. When someone adds in their detailed data (such as your lapping videos) AND I know the exact setup of the car as compared to mine, then the data becomes even more important. When we are qualifying and turning lap times hundreds of a second apart, every little bit helps.

"Hmm, Brian takes Southbend at 2mph more than me. We run the same tires, the same weight balance, same aero, and the same suspension setup. The next time I am there, I will have the confidence to build up to 2mph faster through there because I know it can be done. That 1mph in Southbend will translate to a 4mph faster entry to T11 where I can pull down inside someone."

"Interesting. Morris carries .1g more through T1 corner entry to apex than me. That equates to 1mph more speed at apex and 3mph more at trackout. His car is virtually identical to mine. I will try to come off the brakes sooner in T1 the next time I am there."

If you are not watching other peoples videos and thinking like this, you can be assured that your competition is. I do!

There is much more to be gained than split times on a lap when data is posted. There are several key videos that I watched over and over and over before our VIR races a couple of weeks ago. Those vids included a lot of data on a cars setup very similar to mine driven by nationally ranked drivers.
2mph more through southbend is worth way more than hundredths of a second in lap time. The data overlay that told you the competition was faster there saved you the 15 minutes it would take to extract the segment times to come to the same conclusion.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:53 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by naschmitz
2mph more through southbend is worth way more than hundredths of a second in lap time. The data overlay that told you the competition was faster there saved you the 15 minutes it would take to extract the segment times to come to the same conclusion.
I was giving generalizations as an example, but you appear to be a more knowledgeable than me. I will go back and look at your vids and see what I can learn from your data.

Thank you sir. I appreciate the insight.

Can I expect to see you in ST2 with us at the May NASA event at VIR?
Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

I was giving generalizations as an example, but you appear to be a more knowledgeable than me. I will go back and look at your vids and see what I can learn from your data.

Thank you sir. I appreciate the insight.

Can I expect to see you in ST2 with us at the May NASA event at VIR?
No offense meant, Kevin. Sorry you took it that way.

My car is a base coupe street-legal car, so it is just for fun. But I love data and finding ways to cut lap times. Not many people post data overlays, so I've spent a lot of time piling through in-car data and find that you can learn anything you want just from the video if you know what to look for.

Unfortunately a nephew of mine is getting married that weekend, otherwise I would love to run HPDE4/TT with NASA.

Bert
Old 03-31-2015, 10:46 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

No offense meant, Kevin. Sorry you took it that way.

My car is a base coupe street-legal car, so it is just for fun. But I love data and finding ways to cut lap times. Not many people post data overlays, so I've spent a lot of time piling through in-car data and find that you can learn anything you want just from the video if you know what to look for.

Unfortunately a nephew of mine is getting married that weekend, otherwise I would love to run HPDE4/TT with NASA.

Bert

FWIW, I just did a data comparison from my 2:00.5 to Brian's 2:00.9 with our TraqMate data. There are places where I am 1-2mph faster as well as 4mph faster, as would be expected. However, there are two places where he is as much as 7mph faster than me.

7mph is easy to see in video. 4 might also be easy to see in analyzing nothing more than video and segment times. But finding 1-2mph in a couple of key areas is very difficult without the data.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:29 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

FWIW, I just did a data comparison from my 2:00.5 to Brian's 2:00.9 with our TraqMate data. There are places where I am 1-2mph faster as well as 4mph faster, as would be expected. However, there are two places where he is as much as 7mph faster than me.

7mph is easy to see in video. 4 might also be easy to see in analyzing nothing more than video and segment times. But finding 1-2mph in a couple of key areas is very difficult without the data.
I know that the track has changed a lot over the past couple of years. You may know the exact answer but I was just curious roughly how much lap time you were able to shave off at VIR once you added the aero? Even a guesstimate works.

You're right about the data. Lot's to be learned there. You knew that already though.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:34 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I know that the track has changed a lot over the past couple of years. You may know the exact answer but I was just curious roughly how much lap time you were able to shave off at VIR once you added the aero? Even a guesstimate works.

You're right about the data. Lot's to be learned there. You knew that already though.

That is a hard question because my car changed so much between competitive trips to VIR. More than just aero. The last time I was at VIR was 18 months ago and longer than that since I ran competitively there. The pavement is new to me and I only ran in once right after Oak Tree fell.

In TTA trim, I ran a best of 2:04x or something like that with the TTA lap record another couple of seconds lower. TTA trim was stock leafs, Pfadt sways, stock calipers, 2pc rotors, stripped car with lead for balancing, rollbar/seat/harness, no AC, stock clutch, on 275 A6s. I might have had the QM clutch then but I am not sure.

In ST2 trim, the car now has aero front and rear, 315s, brake kits front and rear, spherical bearings, cage, more power, coilovers, lexan, headers, tiny clutch, etc. In TT2 trim, I feel the car is capable of a 1:57ish. Definitely a 1:58 after I get used to the track again. In ST2 trim, it definitely has a sub-2 in it.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:02 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

OK, here's the secret that will make you pull your videos off YouTube, Kevin Open each video in a separate instance of QuickTime. Sync the cars to the same position on the track. Then press [CTRL][ENTER] or View, Play All Videos and both videos start simultaneously. It will be pretty evident where each driver is faster and you can see differences as small as a car length.

I've also built a RaceRender template with a video window for the second car. You can sync the videos in that tool easily too. That is a little more labor but you can save the results for later study.

And there are lots of YouTube downloader apps out there to get the videos into QuickTime.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome driving guys, and congrats on the races. From someone who was there that weekend and only got into low 2:10's these times are incredible.

Are you both planning on going down for Hyperfest? I saw the cars in the paddock, but didn't get a chance to stop by dealing with cracked rotors, students, etc.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

That is a hard question because my car changed so much between competitive trips to VIR. More than just aero. The last time I was at VIR was 18 months ago and longer than that since I ran competitively there. The pavement is new to me and I only ran in once right after Oak Tree fell.

In TTA trim, I ran a best of 2:04x or something like that with the TTA lap record another couple of seconds lower. TTA trim was stock leafs, Pfadt sways, stock calipers, 2pc rotors, stripped car with lead for balancing, rollbar/seat/harness, no AC, stock clutch, on 275 A6s. I might have had the QM clutch then but I am not sure.

In ST2 trim, the car now has aero front and rear, 315s, brake kits front and rear, spherical bearings, cage, more power, coilovers, lexan, headers, tiny clutch, etc. In TT2 trim, I feel the car is capable of a 1:57ish. Definitely a 1:58 after I get used to the track again. In ST2 trim, it definitely has a sub-2 in it.
You were really fast there in that old configuration car and track. When you were at the Glen for the first and I think only time I seem to recall 2:08's with no aero? You're easily a very low 2 there now.

High 1:50's are there at VIR for you no traffic and a clean lap.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:34 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

OK, here's the secret that will make you pull your videos off YouTube, Kevin Open each video in a separate instance of QuickTime. Sync the cars to the same position on the track. Then press [CTRL][ENTER] or View, Play All Videos and both videos start simultaneously. It will be pretty evident where each driver is faster and you can see differences as small as a car length.

I've also built a RaceRender template with a video window for the second car. You can sync the videos in that tool easily too. That is a little more labor but you can save the results for later study.

And there are lots of YouTube downloader apps out there to get the videos into QuickTime.

Well, the only thing I can say is if someone wants to work that hard, so be it. But I'll be damned if I am going to spoon feed them the data.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:35 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the only thing I can say is if someone wants to work that hard, so be it. But I'll be damned if I am going to spoon feed them the data.
You are damned.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:38 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Awesome driving guys, and congrats on the races. From someone who was there that weekend and only got into low 2:10's these times are incredible.

Are you both planning on going down for Hyperfest? I saw the cars in the paddock, but didn't get a chance to stop by dealing with cracked rotors, students, etc.

Thanks! Yes, we are both planning on racing ST2 again the Hyperfest weekend at VIR. I need to get signed up. Stop by, I hope to have the same paddock location as it worked out pretty well.

Originally Posted by Racingswh
You were really fast there in that old configuration car and track. When you were at the Glen for the first and I think only time I seem to recall 2:08's with no aero? You're easily a very low 2 there now.

High 1:50's are there at VIR for you no traffic and a clean lap.
Thanks. Yes, I ran something like that at the Glen. No aero and first event ever with big brakes and coilovers. I am looking forward to a return to Watkins next year. We had such a great week on that trip: wine tours on Thursday, lapping on Friday, and racing on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:52 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

If they don't get it from you, they can get it from somewhere else. This is VIR, videos abound. It's one thing to know how fast you need to go, it's another to actually be able to go out and do it. Both of these guys are capable of multiple seconds faster. These videos are hardly likely to help someone surpass them.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:15 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by varkwso
You are damned.

I know that, Jeff, LOL. How many times are you going to tell me?
Old 04-03-2015, 03:16 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by heavychevy
If they don't get it from you, they can get it from somewhere else. This is VIR, videos abound. It's one thing to know how fast you need to go, it's another to actually be able to go out and do it. Both of these guys are capable of multiple seconds faster. These videos are hardly likely to help someone surpass them.

Thanks, Dez. When are you going to come race with us? Cage that P-car and come play.

-Kevin
Old 04-03-2015, 06:48 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks, Dez. When are you going to come race with us? Cage that P-car and come play.

-Kevin
Cage is in. Would have to detune because ST1 has not much action going on.

I have 8 years of mostly track on the car. Needs a refresh. Going to open it up at the end of the season and plan to race nationals next year. Not sure if 1 or 2 though.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:40 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that, Jeff, LOL. How many times are you going to tell me?
Till it takes....

Quick Reply: ST2 Race at VIR May 21&22 - recap