Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry sump – Internal or External pump for pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another FYI is the set screw in the belt drive gear mounted on the pump shaft should be loctited once lined up. Actually there are three set screws on the front and two in the rear. I suggest getting a spare belt also.
Attached Images    
Old 06-03-2015, 01:57 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jim
Old 06-03-2015, 03:50 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

If A/C is not a concern.....Daily and be done with it.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:10 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by yooper
Thanks for the info on the adjustment. Do you have coilovers or a leaf spring?

Here is a picture before installing in car.
Yooper, thanks for the picture of the motor mount. Do you have any more?

I'm at the same point, trying to mount an Aviaid 4-stage pump and hitting the stock mount.

Looks like you took a stock mount, removed material, and still have it bolted to a Pfadt/AFE motor mount? Thanks!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:06 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE_VETTES
Yooper, thanks for the picture of the motor mount. Do you have any more?

I'm at the same point, trying to mount an Aviaid 4-stage pump and hitting the stock mount.

Looks like you took a stock mount, removed material, and still have it bolted to a Pfadt/AFE motor mount? Thanks!
Correct. Will look tonight for additional pictures.
Attached Images          

Last edited by yooper; 01-04-2016 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Also had to clearance cradle for oil line routing. Hope this helps
Attached Images   

Last edited by yooper; 01-04-2016 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Picture
The following users liked this post:
GO_BLUE_VETTES (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 10:55 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Originally Posted by yooper
Also had to clearance cradle for oil line routing. Hope this helps
thank you for those pictures! How much run time do you have on the modified motor mount, it still looks plenty beefy. Is it holding up fine?
Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

thank you for those pictures! How much run time do you have on the modified motor mount, it still looks plenty beefy. Is it holding up fine?
My original intention was to build a fabricated mount as was posted above. The modified mount has about 20 hrs and is doing the job.

Notice, I had to cut off some of the stud on the aftermarket engine mount for clearance.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:28 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I recognize that most folks running multi-stage scavenge and external pressure (3 or 4 stage) dry sump setups couldn't care less about A/C... but I'm wondering if anybody has moved the A/C compressor up high on the passenger head? There are several kits available for that that look like it would package fine, but none use a variable displacement compressor like the factory LS3/7.

Last edited by parsonsj; 01-04-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:11 AM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by parsonsj
I recognize that most folks running multi-stage scavenge and external pressure (3 or 4 stage) dry sump setups couldn't care less about A/C... but I'm wondering if anybody has moved the A/C compressor up high on the passenger head? There are several kits available for that that look like it would package fine, but none use a variable displacement compressor like the factory LS3/7.
Hey JP, it's Ron in Socal! Dailey has a system that looks like it works with the Wegner accy drive and high mount AC compressor. I'm not sure what compressor they're using. Also might be worth a call to Daley (good dude) as he might have something not on his website.

See pics 5 & 6:
http://www.daileyengineering.com/ls_...side_mount.htm

EDIT: might be 'unfair' lol

Last edited by flash911; 01-05-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:36 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Aivid makes a head mounted pump if you wanted to keep the factory ac and use the stock oil pump. or holley makes a AC bracket to move the AC compressor to the top of the motor. that way you can use an external oil pump

i call my car a hoon car. it still has street tags, and it's getting a full cage. i race it with NASA and USCA events. i very much don't want to take it off the street as i like to test it and drive to events if i can. I did a bunch of research into dry sups over the last 6 months. I've talked with avaid, ARE, Dailey, i walked the pits and have talked to many teams about what they are running/results.

it boils down to what RPM your running the motor at. if your going to keep your motor under 6000 rpm then it's OK to use the internal pump with two or three scavenge lines. if your going over that rpm limit then you really should go with a external pump. the stock pumps are not happy over 6000rpm and drop in pressure. over 6000rpm is when you get the benefit from the external pump. the Daley systems are super bitching, looks like the least amount of hassle. because i do so many events a year (15-20) i cap the rpm's at 6000 for extended engine life. so i will be doing the "stage 1" two scavenge lines and using the internal pump with a ARE pan.

Last edited by johnny c; 01-05-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:46 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron
Hey JP, it's Ron in Socal! Dailey has a system that looks like it works with the Wegner accy drive and high mount AC compressor.
Hey Ron! Wegner, Vintage Air, and Holley all make quality setups -- but they use a Sanden constant displacement compressor that must be cycled on and off via clutch. The E38 in the C6 just doesn't support that, near as I can tell, since the factory compressors are variable displacement.

And yes, it is unfair.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:53 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny
Aivid makes a head mounted pump if you wanted to keep the factory ac and use the stock oil pump. or holley makes a AC bracket to move the AC compressor to the top of the motor. that way you can use an external oil pump

i call my car a hoon car. it still has street tags, and it's getting a full cage. i race it with NASA and USCA events. i very much don't want to take it off the street as i like to test it and drive to events if i can. I did a bunch of research into dry sups over the last 6 months. I've talked with avaid, ARE, Dailey, i walked the pits and have talked to many teams about what they are running/results.

it boils down to what RPM your running the motor at. if your going to keep your motor under 6000 rpm then it's OK to use the internal pump with two or three scavenge lines. if your going over that rpm limit then you really should go with a external pump. the stock pumps are not happy over 6000rpm and drop in pressure. over 6000rpm is when you get the benefit from the external pump. the Daley systems are super bitching, looks like the least amount of hassle. because i do so many events a year (15-20) i cap the rpm's at 6000 for extended engine life. so i will be doing the "stage 1" two scavenge lines and using the internal pump with a ARE pan.
The high mount kits are all designed around the Sanden compressor which isn't compatible with the C6. That's why I was asking about relocation of the factory compressor or something similar.

I'm using the Aviaid kit now to add a second scavenge stage to the factory setup, but like you wrote above, the factory internal pressure pump goes the wrong way above 6000 rpm. I've seen it in my own data-logging. Like you, I'm resisting the urge to lose the A/C and make my car just a track car -- but I'd like a better oiling solution too.

Great thread!
Old 01-05-2016, 10:05 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

John, I think you should make a bracket. I would be very interested in one for a C5 which I would think would work on the C6 as well.

Agreed, great topic.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:28 AM
parsonsj
Racer

So I dug into the Helms manual for my car (07 Z06) to get a better handle on A/C wiring and how I might be able to wire an ordinary Sanden compressor.

To my surprise (as best I can tell) the factory compressor is using a clutch with an ordinary 12V signal to engage it. There are no other wires.

So how does the variable displacement work? If we can figure that out and if that can be made compatible with the factory HVAC/evaporator, we can move the A/C up to the head, and put a full-boogie 3 stage (with a pressure stage) dry sump where the factory compressor is located.

Where are the A/C experts? Can someone explain how this mysterious variable displacement thingie works?

Last edited by parsonsj; 01-06-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:52 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

So I dug into the Helms manual for my car (07 Z06) to get a better handle on A/C wiring and how I might be able to wire an ordinary Sanden compressor.

To my surprise (as best I can tell) the factory compressor is using a clutch with an ordinary 12V signal to engage it. There are no other wires.

So how does the variable displacement work? If we can figure that out and if that can be made compatible with the factory HVAC/evaporator, we can move the A/C up to the head, and put a full-boogie 3 stage (with a pressure stage) dry sump where the factory compressor is located.

Where are the A/C experts? Can someone explain how this mysterious variable displacement thingie works?
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...mpressors.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...ble-fixed.html
I know they have made variable compressors work with fixed systems but I have not read of the other way around.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:30 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

What is everyone's preferred method for draining the dry sump oil tank?

Pull the plug out of the bottom?

Vacuum sucker to take 12 qts out the top?

Do you have a drain line with a plug/cap that runs a hose to another point that makes it easier to drain? Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Dry sump – Internal or External pump for pressure?

Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

What is everyone's preferred method for draining the dry sump oil tank?

Pull the plug out of the bottom?

Vacuum sucker to take 12 qts out the top?

Do you have a drain line with a plug/cap that runs a hose to another point that makes it easier to drain? Thanks!
I usually pull the hose going to the tank and then also my cooler on the pressure side and cooler on the scavenge side, just after the Spintric. I am guessing that I get about 75% of the oil, but I change it frequently so I'm not worried.
The following users liked this post:
GO_BLUE_VETTES (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 09:03 AM
parsonsj
Racer

I spent a couple hours last night with my Helms manual, and I can't find any documentation on why the C6 uses a variable displacement compressor. It is an internally controlled version, meaning the ECM or BCM or HVAC module doesn't control the pressure directly. Pressures seem similar to what a fixed displacement compressor would provide, and both are controlled via 12V signal to the compressor clutch.

I'm thinking a fixed displacement compressor will work fine. Perhaps with less efficiency, or maybe with a few degrees more air temp variance...

Last edited by parsonsj; 01-09-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:38 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Sanden does make variable displacement compressors:

http://www.sanden.com.sg/opencms/ope....jsp?ptid=1006

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai....29.100.BFftJm

It looks like the ear mounts used in the aftermarket brackets are available from the 2nd link.

Last edited by 93Polo; 01-09-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Dry sump – Internal or External pump for pressure?